Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Outlets High on the Wall

On 8/21/2020 9:18 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/20/2020 10:04 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/20/2020 8:09 AM, Jack wrote:

I have 8 large tools on one 20 amp circuit and never once had a
problem.Â*Â* Air compressor, Dust collection and Planer are on separate
circuits. Planer is 240 otherwise it would be 9th on my list.
Naturally this would not be cool in a multi-user commercial shop.

Surely all (or almost all) of those "large tools" are dual-voltage
motors.Â* Why wouldn't you switch them all over to 240V?

Most of my stationary tools have been running perfectly fine for almost
70 years.Â* Most of them are 1 hp or less, so no, they don't all have
that option. Table saw does have the option and I'd thought about
changing over to 240 many times but just never got around toit. Probably
because the reward/effort didn't motivate me enough.

My key item for stationary tools is they all be on magnetic starters so
won't restart if for any reason there is a power interruption.

When I bought my used shaper, it had those big red/green buttons that
looked like those on the magnetic switches.Â* I assumed it was a magnetic
switch. One day I lost power and when it came back on, so did the
shaper. That was the only time in my lifetime that happened to me, and
it wouldn't have happened then if I knew the switch was not a mag
switch. My newest tool is my planer, and it came with a mag switch,
otherwise, I'm on my own to switch off power to all my tools.

So far, other than that one event, I'm doing ok.Â* I'd say it's a good
idea, but not a "key" item, at least not for me.Â* If it was, I'da
"switched" all the switches long ago:-)

OK, so they aren't all that big, after all... For 1 hp I'd agree
it's pretty-much a wash. Only the little light duty shaper and the old
10" bandsaw are, here, so more incentive.

The example w/ the shaper is why I don't let anything past the gateway
-- if that were quick and you didn't react in time, there's not a much
more dangerous tool in the shop than a shaper.

I was fortunate in "glomming on" to a supply of the old Rockwell
starters used in a large woodworking manufacturing facility in PA (they
had 27 of the old Rockwell/Delta Model 13 planers arranged in 9 rows of
three set a fixed thicknesses the did rough prep on all the flat stock
coming into the plant. When they upgraded, they sold the lot either
intact or piecemeal for some of the more badly worn out ones.
Consequently I had a ready supply to retrofit with).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2020 10:45 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/21/2020 9:18 AM, Jack wrote:
I have 8 large tools on one 20 amp circuit and never once had a
problem. Air compressor, Dust collection and Planer are on separate
circuits. Planer is 240 otherwise it would be 9th on my list.
Naturally this would not be cool in a multi-user commercial shop.

Surely all (or almost all) of those "large tools" are dual-voltage
motors. Why wouldn't you switch them all over to 240V?

Most of my stationary tools have been running perfectly fine for
almost 70 years. Most of them are 1 hp or less, so no, they don't all
have that option. Table saw does have the option and I'd thought about
changing over to 240 many times but just never got around toit.
Probably because the reward/effort didn't motivate me enough.

My key item for stationary tools is they all be on magnetic starters so
won't restart if for any reason there is a power interruption.

When I bought my used shaper, it had those big red/green buttons that
looked like those on the magnetic switches. I assumed it was a
magnetic switch. One day I lost power and when it came back on, so did
the shaper. That was the only time in my lifetime that happened to me,
and it wouldn't have happened then if I knew the switch was not a mag
switch. My newest tool is my planer, and it came with a mag switch,
otherwise, I'm on my own to switch off power to all my tools.

So far, other than that one event, I'm doing ok. I'd say it's a good
idea, but not a "key" item, at least not for me. If it was, I'da
"switched" all the switches long ago:-)

OK, so they aren't all that big, after all... For 1 hp I'd agree
it's pretty-much a wash. Only the little light duty shaper and the old
10" bandsaw are, here, so more incentive.

When I said "large tools" I was talking relative to small electric hand
tools like drills, grinders, circular saws etc. Actually after I said
it, I thought of changing "Large" to "Stationary" Point mainly was
simply you can put a lot of stuff on one 20 amp circuit if you only run
one tool at a time. Most of my motors are small enough I could run two
at a time, like DC and jointer. Third one, like air compressor would
often blow a fuse. I up graded to 200 amp service, so I'd have enough
room for separate circuits for stuff that runs in conjunction with other
tools, like DC. I have TS, Jointer, Lathe, Scroll saw, Drill Press, BS,
Shaper, Belt/Disk sander router table and Mortiser, plus most of my hand
tool outlets on one circuit.

The example w/ the shaper is why I don't let anything past the gateway
-- if that were quick and you didn't react in time, there's not a much
more dangerous tool in the shop than a shaper.

I agree there. In this case, When I flipped the power back on I was no
where near the shaper. For sure my heart skipped a couple beats when it
happened:-) Still, it was my fault for assuming the switch was a mag
switch. I had no experience with mag switches or even any switches
other than the standard light switch before that, so wasn't familiar
with their look. I stupidly thought all those big red/green button
switches were mag switches. I recall deliberately NOT turning off the
tool (with a grin) because I "thought" it was a mag switch.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/16/2020 2:44 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Outlets are cheap, but time is more expensive. I'm thinking about

putting
a few outlets up high, about 7' on the walls of my garage shop. This is
just for the air cleaner or whatever random thing needs to be plugged

in up
there. Am I just wasting time by installing outlets at that height?

Naturally, I'm going to do quite a few at 54" and 16", but it's the

ones up
high I'm wondering about.

Puckdropper

I think its a great idea. Not so much your specific application, but
the of putting outlets where you need them. It saves time, and creates
a safer work environment. Only you know if your application will do that.