DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Craftsman 14 in. Band Saw #22424 (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/67883-craftsman-14-band-saw-22424-a.html)

Dale Lorenzen September 4th 04 09:10 PM

Craftsman 14 in. Band Saw #22424

Hi,

Just wondering if there's anyone out there that has/does use this saw and
what there opinions were of it. Looking for a bandsaw for a hobby/garage
shop.

Regards,

Dale

AArDvarK September 5th 04 09:35 AM

Hi,
Just wondering if there's anyone out there that has/does use this saw and
what there opinions were of it. Looking for a bandsaw for a hobby/garage
shop.

I'd say, for the same money or less you can and should get a real brand, like a Delta or a General.
Or this one, Rikon:
I hear in this group that Rikon are very desireable. But me knowing nothing about it (to be honest
with you) I still would not start out with a $469.99 Craftsman when "real" brands are out there,
in the same price range. And even then, a lot depends on warrenty and company service policies
of makers. Sears charges a serious premium on replacement parts.

Alex

J. Clarke September 5th 04 03:03 PM

AArDvarK wrote:

Hi,
Just wondering if there's anyone out there that has/does use this saw and
what there opinions were of it. Looking for a bandsaw for a hobby/garage
shop.

I'd say, for the same money or less you can and should get a real brand,
like a Delta or a General. Or this one, Rikon:

I hear in this group that Rikon are very desireable. But me knowing
nothing about it (to be honest with you) I still would not start out with
a $469.99 Craftsman when "real" brands are out there, in the same price
range. And even then, a lot depends on warrenty and company service
policies of makers. Sears charges a serious premium on replacement parts.

One catch with the Rikon (that model anyway--don't know about the others
they make) is that it won't take a riser block so the resaw capability is
limited.

Alex

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dale Lorenzen September 6th 04 04:27 AM

Yup. Been looking at them as well as one by Jet and Grizzley. All appear
to be find saws, although I'm a little leary of the Rikon. Not because it
isn't a good saw. Just doesn't seem to be that many places carrying them
yet.

Reason why I was asking for opinions on this other one is because it's all
part of that new line of tools they just released. This one seems to be a
much higher quality than their power tools of the recent past. It's in the
same line as their new table saws which a few in the group have given 'two
thumbs up' too.

Cheers,

Dale