Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jointer or Aircraft carrier

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...176458489.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 12:09:35 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...176458489.html

The $2500 asking price seems high.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:21:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 12:09:35 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...176458489.html

The $2500 asking price seems high.

But he will load it for you, as to price you can ask but what you get
is another matter. Bet he might dicker a bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Markem
wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 7:05:04 AM UTC-4, Just Another Joe wrote:
In article , Markem
wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2020 6:04 AM, Just Another Joe wrote:
In article , Markem
wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) ...

I'm not certain the largest ever made, but Oliver made at least 30" and
a few 36" I've seen photos of, but not by Crescent nor Oliver, the most
likely names one might think of...

American WoodWorking Machinery Co 36"
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=10931

C O Porter Machinery Co 36"
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=7479

Both of these were in casket-manufacturing shops, they say...

I'd guess there were specific-purpose even larger machines made, but I
don't have any examples.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

Specifically, no...but I would put it down in the category of being
prepared for anything that might come up...I also suspect there was a
lot more likelihood/need 50+ years ago of the vintage the machine and
ship are/were than present.

I've seen a lot of similar equipment on surplus military base auctions
over the years of WW II or prior vintage, some of which also had
designations that indicated had been on board ship, not just land-based
shops.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

The elevators and some decks were wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

IIRC the battleships had wood decks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645

8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even
if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

The elevators and some decks were wood.

Decks were (I think) teak planks over the steel deck for better footing
and weather...hadn't thought about the elevator decks and all, though...

I suppose it may still be practice to have the wood surface deck; hadn't
really thought of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 07:02:08 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

Those old Iowa class battleships have beautiful teak decks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

The elevators and some decks were wood.

Sure, that makes sense. There is probably a lot of wood on an aircraft
carrier.

I'm still curious as to the use of a 16" jointer on a ship out at sea. What
would they be jointing in a damage control situation? Maybe using pieces
from one damaged area to fix another, leaving the other out of commission
until they back in dock?

When you joint something, you make it smaller, so unless they have an onboard
stockpile of wood for use in repair situations, you can't just joint the
blown up pieces and put them back where they came from.

I would think that any "spare parts" requiring the use of a 16" jointer would
be back at the shipyards - unless they stock huge boards on the ship.

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.

I'd hazard a guess it wasn't on a carrier itself but a support ship w/
the fleet...they're equipped for essentially anything that might
possible be needed, including pattern-making for castings if push comes
to shove.

Remember the military aspect -- they have to be able to complete the
mission regardless what goes wrong so they're _way_ over-prepared in
some ways in order to be able to cope with whatever happens when there's
nobody but themselves to handle it.

But, then again, too, remember we're also talking of a machine of 75
year or so ago vintage and conditions then and before--the need any more
likely isn't what it once was.

Similar when I look at the reactor design for the Navy propulsion units
and compare to what we designed into commercial power reactors -- the
need to keep things going "no matter what" gives the Captain the ability
to ask for full power with conditions that would completely shut down a
commercial reactor until normalcy was regained.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Makes sense. Good explanation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.

I'd hazard a guess it wasn't on a carrier itself but a support ship w/

The OP stated that the auction listing specified a Battleship, which would
likely be one of the Iowa class boats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 2:41:21 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.

I'd hazard a guess it wasn't on a carrier itself but a support ship w/
the fleet...they're equipped for essentially anything that might
possible be needed, including pattern-making for castings if push comes
to shove.

Another use? - Support for any on-land needs, once men landed and built,set up new onshore accommodations.

The jointer I recently acquired came from a military base, likely for the men's recreational use, than a military use.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 5:42:04 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
dpb writes:
On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be used.

I'd hazard a guess it wasn't on a carrier itself but a support ship w/

The OP stated that the auction listing specified a Battleship, which would
likely be one of the Iowa class boats.

Regardless if it was on the Nimitz, the Missouri or PT-109, the question
remains the same:

What is an at-sea 16" jointer used for?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 12:09:35 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...176458489.html

Check the bearings in the head, make sure they don't have any kind of grinding sound.

Motor seems original. Spin the armature for unusual sound. May need new power cord.... may need a new motor for that age.

Make sure, as best you can, the tables are flat, not warped. Are the table adjustments still smoothly operating?

Two blades is not ideal. $2500 is way too much, IMO.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I toured the USS Lexington, the grey ghost, when I was about 12 years
old. It is now permanently anchored where I grew up. It was still
operating at the time. I remember riding the elevator and the rush of
air that got sucked with it as it went below deck....

Anyway the ship had a full woodworking shop.
You have to remember that these ships made battle ships look small and
had a crew that numbered in the thousands. The carriers had a large
capacity for storage. Keeping an inventory of wood on board would not
have been a big issue compared to "normal" sized ships of that era.

If you were in a battle at a time of war and your deck was damaged, you
did not go back to port to have repairs made. You had to get the
airplanes back up in the air. You worked with what you had. You did
not want to be limited to equipment that was too small for what ever
task was needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2020 7:52 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/14/2020 12:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Seriously, I'm not saying there isn't a need for a 16" jointer on
board an
aircraft carrier, just trying to understand how and when it would be
used.

I toured the USS Lexington, the grey ghost, when I was about 12 years
old. It is now permanently anchored where I grew up. It was still
operating at the time.Â* I remember riding the elevator and the rush of
air that got sucked with it as it went below deck....

Anyway the ship had a full woodworking shop.
You have to remember that these ships made battle ships look small and
had a crew that numbered in the thousands.Â* The carriers had a large
capacity for storage.Â* Keeping an inventory of wood on board would not
have been a big issue compared to "normal" sized ships of that era.

If you were in a battle at a time of war and your deck was damaged, you
did not go back to port to have repairs made.Â* You had to get the
airplanes back up in the air.Â* You worked with what you had.Â* You did
not want to be limited to equipment that was too small for what ever
task was needed.

I think the USS Enterprise is "Grey Ghost" and USS Lexington the "Blue
Ghost"...both were reported sunk by Japanese propaganda arm multiple times.

The latter point is the key one -- up through and until like the
Midway(?) the US still used the wood-overlay flight decks along with
whatever else may have had wood construction.

In wartime for which any US Navy ship is intended, one simply can't
afford to have anything limiting the immediate need; predicted or not.
Whatever you do, don't limit the ability to make either routine or
emergency repairs by the size of the toolset supplied.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2020 9:50 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/15/2020 7:52 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

you did not go back to port to have repairs made.Â* You had to get the
airplanes back up in the air.Â* You worked with what you had.Â* You did
not want to be limited to equipment that was too small for what ever
task was needed.

I think the USS Enterprise is "Grey Ghost" and USS Lexington the "Blue
Ghost"...both were reported sunk by Japanese propaganda arm multiple times.

The latter point is the key one -- up through and until like the
Midway(?) the US still used the wood-overlay flight decks along with
whatever else may have had wood construction.

In wartime for which any US Navy ship is intended, one simply can't
afford to have anything limiting the immediate need; predicted or not.
Whatever you do, don't limit the ability to make either routine or
emergency repairs by the size of the toolset supplied.

--

You are right on the ghost thing. When I was a kid I remembered "ghost"
and I remembered the ship was grey. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Makes sense.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2020 10:19 AM, Leon wrote:

You are right on the ghost thing.Â* When I was a kid I remembered "ghost"
and I remembered the ship was grey.Â* ;~)

I'd not have known the difference, either, if hadn't just looked up the
Enterprise before..

Posted to rec.woodworking

I camped on the battleship USS Massachusetts with my sons' Cub Scout Pack in
2005. We roamed the open parts of the ship freely and slept in one of the
big bunk rooms. They had a fully equipped "carpenters shop" (per the sign)
and there wasn't a small tool in the place. Nor were there any small tools
in the metal shop. Apparently all the machinery was left on the ship when
it was decommissioned. Given that it was only in service for about 5 years
the machinery appeared to be pristine.

Much of the ship was not open to the public so I cannot say what may have
been stored in the holds in terms of wood.

Regarding wood on the battleship... not a lot compared to all the steel!
The decks were the most obvious things of wood and there was some wood in
some cabins.

wrote:

Well it is a jointer 12" for sale on Craiglist

https://carbondale.craigslist.org/tl...-joiner/717645
8489.html

Many years , I took a night class at the local tech school. They had a
16" jointer (I never knew they made them that big.) The instructor said
it was from the damage control department off of a Navy battleship.

Joe

I'd like to know what damage they were controlling with a 16" jointer.

I'm thinking there is more metal in a battleship than wood, but even if
there
are large wooden beams, why would you need a 16" jointer - on board - to
repair them? Did they also have a stockpile of rough cut beams that they
would need to clean up before replacing whatever it was that got damaged?

Any idea what they would do with something that big?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, August 15, 2020 at 8:52:48 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
I toured the USS Lexington, the grey ghost, when I was about 12 years
old. It is now permanently anchored where I grew up. It was still
operating at the time. I remember riding the elevator and the rush of
air that got sucked with it as it went below deck....

Anyway the ship had a full woodworking shop.

I'm curious now, but my searching for info on shipboard woodworking
shops is not giving me results, too many wood ship models flooding it.

You have to remember that these ships made battle ships look small and
had a crew that numbered in the thousands. The carriers had a large
capacity for storage. Keeping an inventory of wood on board would not
have been a big issue compared to "normal" sized ships of that era.

If you were in a battle at a time of war and your deck was damaged, you
did not go back to port to have repairs made. You had to get the
airplanes back up in the air. You worked with what you had. You did
not want to be limited to equipment that was too small for what ever
task was needed.

Thanks. Makes sense.

The most epic repair at sea story I have ever read is "McLintock's
Calcuated Risk", which was about a steamer that lost it's propeller at
sea in 1900, and the truely insane job of replacing it mid-Atlantic,
approximately half way between Cape Town and Buenos Aires, the source
and destination ports for the trip.

https://qaz.wtf/tmp/McLintockCalculatedRisk.txt

"You worked with what you had" is exactly what you do, thousands of
miles from land with your ship dead in the water because the propeller
has vanished into the murky depths in the days before shipboard radios.

Not really a story of woodworking, though.

Elijah
------
makes you wonder about the the ships without William McLintock

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message ...

I'm curious now, but my searching for info on shipboard woodworking

shops is not giving me results, too many wood ship models flooding it.

Maybe try "carpenter's shop." That is what it was called on the USS
Massachusetts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 7:45:29 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message ...

I'm curious now, but my searching for info on shipboard woodworking

shops is not giving me results, too many wood ship models flooding it.

Maybe try "carpenter's shop." That is what it was called on the USS
Massachusetts.

Yeas, that's what the Navy calls them,

Search for the word carpenter he

https://www.archives.gov/files/resea...anual-1941.pdf