DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   It's all ball bearings. (sorta OT) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/678530-its-all-ball-bearings-sorta-ot.html)

Jay Pique August 7th 20 11:37 PM

It's all ball bearings. (sorta OT)

I've come into a number of ball bearings and I'm open to suggestions for projects in which to use them. They are "SKF 6304 2RSJEM Radial/Deep Groove Ball Bearing - Round Bore, 20 mm ID, 52 mm OD, 15 mm Width, Double Sealed, C3 Internal Clearance." I got them from a shuttered company that used to repair grinder pumps.

Maybe make some massive fidget spinners?...

whit3rd August 8th 20 12:54 AM

On Friday, August 7, 2020 at 3:37:30 PM UTC-7, Jay Pique wrote:
I've come into a number of ball bearings and I'm open to suggestions for projects in which to use them.

How about some parallelogram linkages? The familiar parallel-ruler linkage using
four pivots can be tensioned with a bungee to make a fine featherboard,
or for a tablesaw's ripfeed holddown
or with a more robust screw tensioner, a variety of clamps (like bench holddowns or
vise-like holders).

How about a false-face for a vise jaw, that swivels?
One that swivels horizontally, another that does vertical.
Add a V-groove, the vise could clamp tapered legs.

The woodwork item known as a twin-screw vise https://youtu.be/TeprY3nwH9w
(for holding a board vertically) can be done with screws, or a wedge (across)
but also with a scissor-jack linkage. I like this with a router-friendly table
on top, for making sliding dovetail board ends.

The larger bearings, of course, could be used for a lathe spindle; old lathes were just a pair of
points hammered into a log, you can improve on that with a suitable heavy timber for
a lathe bed, and a motor surplussed from... a whatever. So, one of your points ROTATES.

Jack August 12th 20 03:18 PM

On 8/7/2020 6:37 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
I've come into a number of ball bearings and I'm open to suggestions for projects in which to use them. They are "SKF 6304 2RSJEM Radial/Deep Groove Ball Bearing - Round Bore, 20 mm ID, 52 mm OD, 15 mm Width, Double Sealed, C3 Internal Clearance." I got them from a shuttered company that used to repair grinder pumps.

Maybe make some massive fidget spinners?...

How about a steady rest for your lathe...

--
Jack