Posted to rec.woodworking

Default craftsman 1 1/2 HP router good ?

On Sunday, June 26, 1994 at 2:12:55 PM UTC-4, Jeong Ho Lee wrote:
I'm looking for a router for hobby purpose.
Today, I saw an ad of $59.99 Craftsman 1 1/2 HP router. The price is less than
1/2 of other name brands' 1 1/2 HP routers. Is this cheap one OK for me ?
Thanks,
jLee

That's a great price for 1.5HP router. This Craftsman router is well-made, sturdy and will last a long time.
Good luck! And happy hobbying.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2020 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:

And 26 years ago and a bit further the collects did not hold well on the
Craftsman routers.

Never a problem on the ones I had/have that are at least that old...

Doesn't say some models may have had problems but I never ran across it.
Still use the 1/4" fixed base one now and then for smaller stuff. I'm
not sure whether the 1/2" is still around or not, even.

I've always liked the 1/4" a lot -- very nice handles w/ integrated
switch, the top is flat like a pancake so can just set it down upside
down w/o worrying, has spindle lock for changing bits, ... all could ask
for in an inexpensive tool that has lasted 30 years, probably. Couldn't
begin to say when actually got it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I don't recall what model I had, but my first router was a Craftsman 1/4".
I don't think it was 1.5 HP though. 3/4 HP sounds more familiar.

Timing wise, 30-ish years ago sounds right. Hated that thing. So frigging
loud! Got introduced to the PC 690 and never looked back. Quieter, smoother,
more powerful. I've actually got 2, one handheld, one hanging on the router
table. ($55 pawn shop find, brand new.)

I'd like a full size variable speed router (I have a VS trim router) but with
2 working PC 690's and the trim unit, I just can't justify spending the money.

I remember watching Norm build a router table way back then. He had huge
drawers on the bottom built to hold multiple routers. I remember saying to
myself "Holy crap! He doesn't change router bits, he changes routers!"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2020 2:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/20/2020 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:

And 26 years ago and a bit further the collects did not hold well on
the Craftsman routers.

Never a problem on the ones I had/have that are at least that old...

Doesn't say some models may have had problems but I never ran across it.
Â*Still use the 1/4" fixed base one now and then for smaller stuff.Â* I'm
not sure whether the 1/2" is still around or not, even.

I've always liked the 1/4" a lot -- very nice handles w/ integrated
switch, the top is flat like a pancake so can just set it down upside
down w/o worrying, has spindle lock for changing bits, ... all could ask
for in an inexpensive tool that has lasted 30 years, probably.Â* Couldn't
begin to say when actually got it.

--

I still own two of the Craftsman "Commercials" similar to what you
describe. Trigger in the grip handle that mechanically triggered the

My father bought it ca 1964 and gave it to me. Bought another at a
garage sale about 17 years later. One of them is still mounted in a DIY
router table that I built.

These were made, of course, before Craftsman became Crapsman! LOL!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2020 2:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/20/2020 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:

And 26 years ago and a bit further the collects did not hold well on
the Craftsman routers.

Never a problem on the ones I had/have that are at least that old...

Doesn't say some models may have had problems but I never ran across it.
Â*Still use the 1/4" fixed base one now and then for smaller stuff.Â* I'm
not sure whether the 1/2" is still around or not, even.

I've always liked the 1/4" a lot -- very nice handles w/ integrated
switch, the top is flat like a pancake so can just set it down upside
down w/o worrying, has spindle lock for changing bits, ... all could ask
for in an inexpensive tool that has lasted 30 years, probably.Â* Couldn't
begin to say when actually got it.

--

I actually had a couple of Craftsman routers, the second with 1/4"
collect did slip. AND IIRC it was a single wrench collect, that may
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2020 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I do not often say anything good about Bosch but I have had a 1617 EVS
for about 22 years not. It was a new model then and is still popular.
One of its features was that it was quieter. And surprisingly it is
pretty quiet on all but the top speed, until you start actually using it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2020 2:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/20/2020 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:

And 26 years ago and a bit further the collects did not hold well on
the Craftsman routers.

Never a problem on the ones I had/have that are at least that old...

Doesn't say some models may have had problems but I never ran across
it. Â*Â*Still use the 1/4" fixed base one now and then for smaller
stuff.Â* I'm not sure whether the 1/2" is still around or not, even.

I've always liked the 1/4" a lot -- very nice handles w/ integrated
switch, the top is flat like a pancake so can just set it down upside
down w/o worrying, has spindle lock for changing bits, ... all could
ask for in an inexpensive tool that has lasted 30 years, probably.
Couldn't begin to say when actually got it.

--

I still own two of the Craftsman "Commercials" similar to what you
describe.Â* Trigger in the grip handle that mechanically triggered the
switch in the motor housing via a black covered cable.

My father bought it ca 1964 and gave it to me.Â* Bought another at a
garage sale about 17 years later.Â* One of them is still mounted in a DIY
router table that I built.

These were made, of course, before Craftsman became Crapsman! LOL!

It's always been crap shoot depending on who made any given tool at any
given time -- and the target price/audience that decided the quality
point as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I still own two of the Craftsman "Commercials" similar to what you
describe.Â* Trigger in the grip handle that mechanically triggered the
switch in the motor housing via a black covered cable.

My father bought it ca 1964 and gave it to me.Â* Bought another at a
garage sale about 17 years later.Â* One of them is still mounted in a DIY
router table that I built.

These were made, of course, before Craftsman became Crapsman! LOL!

Speaking of old Craftsman, I have a pipe cutter and set of dies and
handle that were my grandfathers dating back to the 1930s that is as
good as any Ridgid.