Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Through mortising on wide timbers (8"x8")

I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.
I've cut mortises on smaller thickness using just hand tools (drill, chise, wood file). I can't justify buying a plunger router or drill press just for this project and hardware companies near me don't rent them out. My plan is to purchase a longer drill bit, drill numerous holes along the inside edges, chisel out an opening on each side, use a sawsall tool to cut around the perimeter, and use an oscillating tool to clean up the edges. This will take some time since I have 24 mortises to cut. Not needing a tight fit since the rails will be loosely placed inside the mortises. Any other suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking, wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long)
on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" x 8 ft long)

Any other suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?

https://tinyurl.com/y4s5z8wh

That looks like an interesting tool, but the longest blade available
appears to be 65mm, which is not long enough to cut through 8" even if
you cut from both sides: 4" is about 102mm.

Elijah
------
has no tool suggestions to offer
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

The thing that you want is some approximation of a chain mortiser.

Here's a guy who does it with big balls and lots of skill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmWgtX9SE2E

Here's a guy with less skill who makes up for it with jigging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2CGslzGdB4

If you've by any chance got a radial arm saw this is worth a look:
https://woodworker.com/radial-saw-mortising-attachment-mssu-889-372.asp

If you're doing it with a chain saw, get an extra chain and sharpen
the teeth straight across instead of at an angle. I suspect any
electric chain saw will be adequate for this.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 12:32:08 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.
I've cut mortises on smaller thickness using just hand tools (drill, chise, wood file). I can't justify buying a plunger router or drill press just for this project and hardware companies near me don't rent them out. My plan is to purchase a longer drill bit, drill numerous holes along the inside edges, chisel out an opening on each side, use a sawsall tool to cut around the perimeter, and use an oscillating tool to clean up the edges. This will take some time since I have 24 mortises to cut. Not needing a tight fit since the rails will be loosely placed inside the mortises. Any other suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?

So you've got drills, bits, chisels, sawzall and an "osciallating tool"(?) but not a router? Huh. Then mark your mortises, drill them out from each side, and chisel them rectangular until they hopefully meet square in the middle. What is it you're really looking for here, though?-like a miracle "how to turn your cordless drill into an 8" slot mortiser"? smh
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 19:44:37 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
wrote:

[...]

You could almost do it with the oscillating tool. Have to adjust the
design so that the mortise is wide enough to take the tool head is
all.

And 4 inches is a pretty deep cut for a router.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 11:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.
I've cut mortises on smaller thickness using just hand tools (drill, chise, wood file). I can't justify buying a plunger router or drill press just for this project and hardware companies near me don't rent them out. My plan is to purchase a longer drill bit, drill numerous holes along the inside edges, chisel out an opening on each side, use a sawsall tool to cut around the perimeter, and use an oscillating tool to clean up the edges. This will take some time since I have 24 mortises to cut. Not needing a tight fit since the rails will be loosely placed inside the mortises. Any other suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?

What you need to do is contact a timber frame group in your area, or where ever you can find them and see if you can borrow a timber mortising drill from them. These timbers are exactly what that drill was invented for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight
large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small
post & rail fencing project.
I've cut mortises on smaller thickness using just hand tools (drill, chise,
wood file). I can't justify buying a plunger router or drill press just for
this project and hardware companies near me don't rent them out. My plan is
to purchase a longer drill bit, drill numerous holes along the inside
edges, chisel out an opening on each side, use a sawsall tool to cut around
the perimeter, and use an oscillating tool to clean up the edges. This will
take some time since I have 24 mortises to cut. Not needing a tight fit
since the rails will be loosely placed inside the mortises. Any other
suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?

Old school would be to use a mortising axe... For example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoT7KaeWmHY

It would be quick in PT... The beam in the video is dry hardwood...

If you find an old one you could sell it when done and it may cost you
nothing for this project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 11:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.

Well, without dedicated power tools, you're limited to what you have on hand. For your 6" long side, use a circular saw to cut ~2" deep. Use your longest drill bit/spade bit/brace & bit to gouge out the interior, then clean up with chisel. Sawsall is another on-hand option, also. You have some sort of game plan, though it may not be so easy and fast. Might as well commit yourself to a little work. There ain't no quick and easy method without dedicated power tools.... or lots of practice with a chain saw.

For my tedious jobs as this, I dedicate about half a day's work time. Work a little, rest and have a beer, work some more, have a beer, etc. Before you know it the job is done. For my unpleasant jobs, I spend time doing the work, little by little, rather than sitting around thinking how to so it the "cheap" way. We don't always have "game changer" tools on hand.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

How is this project coming along? Do you have pictures?