Old July 18th 20, 03:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Through mortising on wide timbers (8"x8")

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 11:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.

Well, without dedicated power tools, you're limited to what you have on hand. For your 6" long side, use a circular saw to cut ~2" deep. Use your longest drill bit/spade bit/brace & bit to gouge out the interior, then clean up with chisel. Sawsall is another on-hand option, also. You have some sort of game plan, though it may not be so easy and fast. Might as well commit yourself to a little work. There ain't no quick and easy method without dedicated power tools.... or lots of practice with a chain saw.

For my tedious jobs as this, I dedicate about half a day's work time. Work a little, rest and have a beer, work some more, have a beer, etc. Before you know it the job is done. For my unpleasant jobs, I spend time doing the work, little by little, rather than sitting around thinking how to so it the "cheap" way. We don't always have "game changer" tools on hand.

Sonny

Old July 18th 20, 06:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 11:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.
I've cut mortises on smaller thickness using just hand tools (drill, chise, wood file). I can't justify buying a plunger router or drill press just for this project and hardware companies near me don't rent them out. My plan is to purchase a longer drill bit, drill numerous holes along the inside edges, chisel out an opening on each side, use a sawsall tool to cut around the perimeter, and use an oscillating tool to clean up the edges. This will take some time since I have 24 mortises to cut. Not needing a tight fit since the rails will be loosely placed inside the mortises. Any other suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?

How is this project coming along? Do you have pictures?