Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why no 3-wheel bandsaws?

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 3:36:15 PM UTC+11, Hylourgos wrote:
A simple question: why aren't bandsaws more commonly made with three
wheels instead of two? Sure, I've seen custom jobs made that way, and
the fact that 2 is more simple than 3 is obvious, but the tradeoff for
cutoff and height capacity seems worth it, but I don't know of any
popular manufacturers making them.

There must be a good reason...anyone know?

Curiously,

They usually have smaller wheels and therefore are prone to metal fatigue
and the blades break more often.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 10:42:47 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Mon, 13 Jul 2020 08:33:36 -0400 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 01:18:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 3:36:15 PM UTC+11, Hylourgos wrote:
A simple question: why aren't bandsaws more commonly made with three
wheels instead of two? Sure, I've seen custom jobs made that way, and
the fact that 2 is more simple than 3 is obvious, but the tradeoff for
cutoff and height capacity seems worth it, but I don't know of any
popular manufacturers making them.
There must be a good reason...anyone know?
Curiously,

They usually have smaller wheels and therefore are prone to metal fatigue
and the blades break more often.

I had the 3-wheel 16 inch Delta - unfortunately - :-(
it required thinner blades -
- the thin blades were a PITA for tension and wandering.
- normal blades didn't last, because of the smaller radius..
The affordable extra throat dimension seemed-like-a-good-idea
when I bought it ... not so.

So, in short, for occasional use a three wheel is fine. But for a
lot of use(e.g. ripping long boards) they are less than optimal.
Fnord. Well, you gets what you pays for.

I would not say a troublesome tool is good for occasional use.
The 16 inch 3-wheel was not cheaper than a 12 inch 2-wheel -
just cheaper than the big 16 inch 2-wheel.
I forget what the price comparison to a 14 inch 2-wheel ...
it was about 40 years ago :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

on Mon, 13 Jul 2020 16:06:27 -0400 typed in

wrote:

[...]

"But I decided to stick with the steam powered on until this fad
for electrical motors worked itself out."
I'm muttering about it, I have a three wheeler, I want to rip some
small logs into smaller board. "Later."
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm muttering about it, I have a three wheeler,
I want to rip some small logs into smaller board.
"Later."

A good blade is required for "log" sawing / re-sawing -
.. if you can find such a blade for your 3-wheel bandsaw ?

These Viking blades have a good reputation :

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...bandsaw-blades

And there are blades especially made for re-sawing :