Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's your game changer?

This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in pursuit of woodworking excellence. It can be something you purchased or built or found in the trash. It can cost anywhere from free to $1000's. Please refrain from value judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it; etc". To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration and ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished that caused you to say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

I will start it off with some game changers for me.

1. self centering drill bit - I was trying to mount a piano hinge and each screw seemed to try to pull it out of alignment. I bought the bit and re-drilled all the holes. the installation was perfectly aligned and all the screws centered and flush.
2. Sawstop industrial saw - I cannot even begin to express the magic of a great tablesaw.
3. Festool RO sander with dust extractor - sanding without dust. I didn't even know this was possible. Prompted by Leon "Bob, you gotta buy one of these"
4. Veritas saddle square - easy transfer of marks around the sides of a piece.

Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2020 11:18 AM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

1. The spring loaded kind, AKA a Vix bit? I have about 4 sets. They
are great.

2. I concur. SAFER than most any TS, Large table top compared to
American style TS's.
Beefy under the hood.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
It shoots past the nickel test and passes the quarter test.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

3. He He He BUT this set up did take some getting use to.
When I first started using s Festool Sander and the Festool dust
extractor I was confused as to whether the sander was actually doing
anything. Previously, with my old PC Speed Bloc finish sander a trail
of dust indicated that the work was being accomplished.
With about 99.5 dust being properly sucked away I no longer had an
indicator. I now only feel the surface with my hand. It great com come
inside for lunch with out having to blow sanding dust off of my clothes.
And the Festool blue Granat sand paper is great sand paper on steroids.
It seems to never wear out compared to 3M, Mirka, Klingspor, PC paper.

4. Yup, I have one of those too! Great accurate tool.

OK, did you really have to ask? And I think this would be right up your
alley.

Shaper Origin and workstation. SMALL Foot PRINT! Comes in a Festool
track saw sized systainer, for the Shaper.
I have not yet been able to use mine much as I am in the middle of a
paying job. BUT I have been successful with each small experiment which
included work done on my computer and the included files.

I was not certain how much I would use my Domino when I got it in 2008.
LOL what a game changer!!! 10,000 mortises later and I am still using
the original bits, primarily the 5mm bit. I think the Shaper Origin is
going to be even more dramatic than the Domino.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/12/2020 10:18 AM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Built a long extension on my table saw and mounted a Triton
plunge router. Used a Rockler fence and an Incra jig to make
a quick-adjust removable router fence. It takes up no more
floor space than the saw itself, and makes accurate table
router setup quick and easy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Somewhat parallel, but since am older than most redwoods, the Powermatic
Model 66...every bit the saw of SS in mass, balance, etc., but w/o the
then 35 year in the future safety features.

Mine was more mind set of waiting until could afford the better product
before purchase if of significant outlay rather than try to "cheap out".

Was, of course, fortunate in having access to friend's commercial shop
for things like planer and all...of course in keeping with above, there
weren't any lunchbox planers for nearly 30 year from then, either...it
was "real iron" or the hand plane or take it to somebody who had a
planer then.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob D wrote in
:

[...]

I have a grinder tool rest that clamps the tool in place then you can
slide it along the rest. This produces a very consistent hollow ground
edge. A few passes on a stone and you get an edge that's sharp and easy
to take care of.

The Work Sharp is very nice, but some good stones and the grinder tool
rest (and grinder, of course) is what I'd invest in if I was starting
over.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 02:00:12 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 12:18:37 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:
[...]

I've got 3, one really old, the other 2 are more recent:

1 - I'm just a hobbyist, but the Craftsman 10" table saw that I found in the
newspaper classifieds - 30ish years ago - for $100, was my first game
changing event. I still have that saw, upgraded with a Delta T-Square fence..
The only real issue I've ever had was when the arbor bearing went bad.

2 - A couple of years ago I finally got around to replacing the right
extension panel of the table saw with a DIY router table. No more struggling
with crappy portable router tables or routing by hand in a really small shop.
I scored twice on that one by finding a practically new PC 690 router at a
pawn shop. $50. I was planning to buy just the base for my PC 690 to mount to
the router table and ended up finding a complete unit. Eliminating virtually
all router table setup when wanting to rout something is definitely a game
changer. I modified an old portable router table fence to add dust collection.

3 - This is more of a "household game changer" but it gets used for wood
working quite often. 3 years ago I bought a PC Air Compressor combo set - 16g,
18g and staple gun - but that's not the game changer. The game changer was
the 50' retractable air hose that my son bought me for Christmas. Since I
wanted to mount the hose reel up high in the garage, I needed to run PEX from
the compressor to the reel. As long as I was doing that, I also ran PEX from
the garage down into my basement shop. No more carrying the compressor to
where I need it, no more listening to the noise in the shop. Grabbing a
nail gun to pop a couple of brads into something or use the air nozzle is a
quick and easy process now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 9:00:15 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Puckdropper

I have to agree. Like many, I have acquired my handplanes, some new but most used. The real eye opener was an early 1900's stanley jointer plane. After sharpening and tuning, it performs miracles. I frequently use it instead of firing up my powermatic jointer. That sounds crazy when I write it. So I guess its a game changer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think mine was "Care and Repair of Shop Machines: A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance"

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Sun, 12 Jul 2020 23:04:12
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.

Yeah, I'm learning all that, now.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.

Yeah, I'm learning all that, now.

--
pyotr filipivich

Also any video with Christopher Schwarz on hand planes. He often goes back to Joseph Moxon himself in explaining how hand planes are supposed to be used.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 1:32:07 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:53:27 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 9:00:15 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Puckdropper

I learned all the basics from Norm. Gluing, joinery, and so on.

'and so on' includes "just a few brads to hold the joint together while the glue dries". ;-)

I don't know if it was before or after Norm, but I had one of those tables where you mounted a circular saw underneath, probably from Sears. It sounds really dangerous now, thinking about it.

The Hirsh Saw Table. I still have the base from mine, but I covered the ribbed
top with a smooth piece of plywood. I haven't used it in a while, but it makes
a decent portable work table. Still out in the shed.

https://i.imgur.com/lK2DpCX.jpg

It's incredible to see that! Thanks for posting the picture. It still looks dangerous as ever.

It did have one cool safety featu The shut off bar that ran across the
entire front. Assuming it was put together correctly (mine was) you could
hit that bar at any point and it would shut the saw down.

Now, pair the Saw Table with a $30 Craftsman circular saw and you could give
SawStop a run for it's money. It would be hard to tell the difference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael on Tue, 14 Jul 2020 07:04:05 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.

Yeah, I'm learning all that, now.

Also any video with Christopher Schwarz on hand planes. He often goes
back to Joseph Moxon himself in explaining how hand planes are
supposed to be used.

I stumbled across Rex Krueger "Woodwork for humans" Youtube
channel. Lot of "how to do this without spending a lot of money." How
to restore old tools, make "old tools", the details of sharpening
tools. "Fun" videos.

Now all I need is the time.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob D" wrote in message

This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in pursuit of
woodworking excellence. It can be something you purchased or built or
found in the trash. It can cost anywhere from free to $1000's. Please
refrain from value judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it;
etc". To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration and
ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished that caused you to
say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

The game changer for me was hanging around with skilled artisans. Seeing
what was possible drove me to get better.

While I had seen Norm and Roy on TV for quite some time it was working at
Colonial Williamsburg, VA in the Gunsmith Shop in the mid '80s that was a
turning point for me. While there I spent a lot of time visiting the shops
for all the various trades. The result of that is I came to understand and
appreciate that most of the world was built without electron power and that
excellent work could be done with hand tools. Before that I believed that
power tools were a necessity...

That said, while I have a lot of hand tools I also have a lot of large
stationary tools and tailed hand tools. I recently added a power feed to my
shop for upcoming molding and flooring projects. I continue to add to the
hand tools via restoration of myriad tools I've "inherited."

Another useful exposure was joining the Northeastern Woodworkers
Association. In addition to the hundreds of members I was exposed to a lot
of professionals, a few of whom used to participate here, e.g., Doug Stowe,
Rob Lee (Lee-Valley). Garrett Hack, Ernie Conover, Chris Schwarz, Tom
Lie-Nielson... and myriad others. The conversations over dinner and drinks
with the professionals were amazing. Club members give talks, demos, and
classes on myriad woodworking subjects. Attend them all even if you don't
have a specific interest as you will get ideas that are transferable. I was
treasurer for the Mid-Hudson Chapter for about 12-13 years, taught classes
and gave presentations at the annual woodworking show in Saratoga Springs...
Get involved. You'll get back every bit of what you contribute!

While the on-line videos are interesting they aren't the same as being in
the same space with and having conversations with skilled artisans. Like
what I experienced while at Williamsburg, being there in person becomes an
academic experience... ideas are shared, techniques explained and
demonstrated, and everyone can walk away with something to think about.

P.S. I didn't work directly with Roy but I knew him socially... his wife and
my housemate were friends and swapped babysitting duties... I met Norm
once... at Sturbridge Village.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking,
John Grossbohlin wrote:
While I had seen Norm and Roy on TV for quite some time it was working at
Colonial Williamsburg, VA in the Gunsmith Shop in the mid '80s that was a
turning point for me. While there I spent a lot of time visiting the shops
for all the various trades. The result of that is I came to understand and
appreciate that most of the world was built without electron power and that
excellent work could be done with hand tools. Before that I believed that
power tools were a necessity...

I read _Craeft_ (Cræft) by Alexander Langlands last year. He attributes
the death / dying of true craft to the availability of power tools (not
just electron power, but anything more than human hand). Power removes
the connection between human and the material. He doesn't deny that
things can be made faster or well with power tools, but he does argue
that there is a loss of understanding of material that comes from the
mediating effect of just being able to apply more force faster.

That said, while I have a lot of hand tools I also have a lot of large
stationary tools and tailed hand tools. I recently added a power feed to my
shop for upcoming molding and flooring projects. I continue to add to the
hand tools via restoration of myriad tools I've "inherited."

I love a good handtool, but I have limited space, limited money, limited
time. And no source of tools to inherit. I'm going to have to content
myself with never finding the craft Langlands admires in myself.

My projects have tended towards crude or small, eg:

https://qaz.wtf/qz/blosxom/2020/05/15/mini-drawers

But I find some satisfaction in being able to make the things I need.

Elijah
------
thinks Langlands book could have used more illustrations to explain stuff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" on Wed, 15
Jul 2020 18:25:10 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
"Bob D" wrote in message

[...]

Being dedicated to doing things with hand tools (mostly because I
lack space or money for much in the way of power tools) I early on
came to an understanding why it is called wood _work_ and why power
tools were invented.. Ripping one board with a hand saw is "cool" as
an exercise. Ripping a bunch - that's why power tools were invented.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

Eli the Bearded on Wed, 15 Jul 2020 23:13:01
+0000 (UTC) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I love a good handtool, but I have limited space, limited money, limited
time. And no source of tools to inherit. I'm going to have to content
myself with never finding the craft Langlands admires in myself.

My projects have tended towards crude or small, eg:

https://qaz.wtf/qz/blosxom/2020/05/15/mini-drawers

But I find some satisfaction in being able to make the things I need.

It is a start. I find that while I would like to make some Fine
Furniture, mostly I'm making things I need right now. Eventually ...

Sigh, sometimes it seems that what I make most are plans.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Being dedicated to doing things with hand tools (mostly because I
lack space or money for much in the way of power tools) I early on
came to an understanding why it is called wood _work_ and why power
tools were invented.. Ripping one board with a hand saw is "cool" as
an exercise. Ripping a bunch - that's why power tools were invented.

Yup... ripping a bunch is why I got the power feeder. It's going on the
table saw first, then the jointer, and then the shaper for the flooring
project. For the architectural trim project it will go on the table saw and
jointer... from there the wood is going through my planner/molder. I did
use a hand rip saw recently to rough out a new axe handle from ash... a
bearing failed on my bandsaw and rather than wait for the parts I did the
whole thing with hand tools. A fun little project to rehab an axe head I
got off Craigslist for $5... 3.5 lb. Michigan pattern that I turned into a
felling wedge beater for tree falling... it's plenty sharp for chopping too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message ...

I read _Craeft_ (Cræft) by Alexander Langlands last year. He attributes
the death / dying of true craft to the availability of power tools (not
just electron power, but anything more than human hand). Power removes
the connection between human and the material. He doesn't deny that
things can be made faster or well with power tools, but he does argue
that there is a loss of understanding of material that comes from the
mediating effect of just being able to apply more force faster.

I generally use the stationary tools to dimension the wood and then use the
hand tools for the joinery and final surfacing... the latter steps require
more "feel."

I love a good handtool, but I have limited space, limited money, limited
time. And no source of tools to inherit. I'm going to have to content
myself with never finding the craft Langlands admires in myself.

I used the term "inherit" loosely... Some really were inherited but many
were given to me by people who found them in their father's or
father-in-law's shop and had no interest in them. In many cases they had no
idea what they were... some are woodworking and some are machinist's tools.
A woman I worked with brought me a box of machinist tools and woodworking
tools. She was delighted when I identified things for her and assembled a
transition plane from parts in the box--the family had no idea what those
parts belonged to but managed to keep them somewhat together.

I inherited two union carpenter's tool boxes from a friend's father... they
were his and his father's. He directed his wife and daughter to give me his
tools a few days before he died... He had no one to pass them on to in the
family who would know what to do with them or would want them. The father
died at about age 86 to give you an idea how old those two tool boxes are.
The grandfather's tools were well used... a couple chisels had been
sharpened so many times that the blades were as short as an inch... handsaws
came to points. There were however very nice specimens of a Stanley router
plane, Stanley No 6 for plane, a wooden scrub plane and a couple block
planes in the grandfather's box along with a sliding bevel, folding rules,
and other layout tools. The father's tool box had braces, a complete set of
auger bits, compass bits, screwdriver bits, reamer bits, etc.

When I bought this house there was a Stanley No 45 combination plane
complete with a set of cutters, the original steel box, instruction manual,
nicker package, etc. in the garage. The cutters had never been sharpened...
It was essentially a new tool.

The vast majority of these tools took a trip through my electrolysis set up
to remove corrosion. In some cases the tools simply needed to be cleaned of
"dirt" and sharpened. In other cases just sharpening was needed... i.e., the
45.

All that said, I'd let people know you are interested in old tools to use.
You are not a collector and aren't looking to sell them... You may be
surprised how much stuff will come out of basements and garages for free.

My projects have tended towards crude or small, eg:

https://qaz.wtf/qz/blosxom/2020/05/15/mini-drawers

But I find some satisfaction in being able to make the things I need.

We all started somewhere... I don't know anyone who came out of the womb as
a skilled woodworker! Keep at it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking,
John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message ...
I love a good handtool, but I have limited space, limited money, limited
time. And no source of tools to inherit. I'm going to have to content
myself with never finding the craft Langlands admires in myself.

I used the term "inherit" loosely...

I suspected as much.

All that said, I'd let people know you are interested in old tools to use.
You are not a collector and aren't looking to sell them... You may be
surprised how much stuff will come out of basements and garages for free.

Best I've gotten for free, so far, is a bench grinder in nearly new
condition. Probably ten years old, definitely under twenty. Only thing
"wrong" with it was missing a bulb for the work light. It was literally
being thrown away -- probably not because of the bulb though.

I live in San Francisco, in a house that's been in my wife's family for
long time. None of my neighbors seem to own as much as a hammer. People
in the city lack basements and attics and get rid of things quickly. My
father-in-law did leave some tools here, but not many or that exciting.
Screwdrivers and wrenches. A miter box and saw.

We all started somewhere... I don't know anyone who came out of the womb as
a skilled woodworker! Keep at it!

I don't have good photos of it, but I made my bedside table as well. I
wanted something fairly tall and narrow to fit the space, and clipped
the corners of the top (making an octagon) for lamp and charging cords
to fig nicely. Also plywood with dado cuts for pieces to snap together
(at least until the glue dries), but half inch, not 3mm.

On the large scale, I built a shed for myself, roughly 8x8x10. No
foundation or power, just balanced on concrete blocks, because that
makes it kinda-sorta within no-permit-needed building code for the
area. It keeps the rain out and is solid still ten years later, so I
think I did an okay job with no experience and making it up as I went
along.

Elijah
------
did have to replace the first roof, learned a lesson there

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" on Thu, 16
Jul 2020 01:02:47 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

Being dedicated to doing things with hand tools (mostly because I
lack space or money for much in the way of power tools) I early on
came to an understanding why it is called wood _work_ and why power
tools were invented.. Ripping one board with a hand saw is "cool" as
an exercise. Ripping a bunch - that's why power tools were invented.

Yup... ripping a bunch is why I got the power feeder.

B-)

Power tools as "apprentice" - "you, feed these boards into the
saw."

But as I said when I started tech school, and we shifted from
manual machines to CNC "think of it as a really dumb apprentice who
does exactly what he's told, even if it is wrong."
(I had a 'neat' modern art piece resulting from some one making a
lateral move and a downward one, and it plowed into the aluminum block
a ways before breaking the tool off.)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Power tools as "apprentice" - "you, feed these boards into the
saw."

But as I said when I started tech school, and we shifted from
manual machines to CNC "think of it as a really dumb apprentice who
does exactly what he's told, even if it is wrong."

My father served an apprenticeship as a tool a die maker early in his
career. Now 86 he still talks about how they gave the apprentices a block of
steel and told them to file it into a square cube... When I worked in the
Gunsmith Shop at Williamsburg the litmus test for whether they spent any
time on you was whether you could make wood screws with files... If you
couldn't do that there was no way you'd ever be able to make a flintlock.
Windows and Mac operating systems have let pretty much anybody use a
computer. Cars, houses, guns, etc... the skill knowledge is being
concentrated by a small number of companies who will generate an income
stream by letting others license the technology.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" on Fri, 17
Jul 2020 13:49:12 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

Power tools as "apprentice" - "you, feed these boards into the
saw."

But as I said when I started tech school, and we shifted from
manual machines to CNC "think of it as a really dumb apprentice who
does exactly what he's told, even if it is wrong."

My father served an apprenticeship as a tool a die maker early in his
career. Now 86 he still talks about how they gave the apprentices a block of
steel and told them to file it into a square cube...

I've heard that a lot. Royce machinist could make a hex head free
hand with a file, etc.

When I worked in the
Gunsmith Shop at Williamsburg the litmus test for whether they spent any
time on you was whether you could make wood screws with files...

Not sure how that would be done, but, I've never tried.

If you
couldn't do that there was no way you'd ever be able to make a flintlock.
Windows and Mac operating systems have let pretty much anybody use a
computer. Cars, houses, guns, etc... the skill knowledge is being
concentrated by a small number of companies who will generate an income
stream by letting others license the technology.

The skills are being built into the machine. Been saying that
since the first mechanized widgets.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 4:19:27 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

I am in full agreement with your view of the PM66. The sawstop industrial saw was the closest i could get to a pm66 with sawstop safety features.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 9:05:51 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Bob D wrote in
:
[...]

I think I have one of those tool rests (made by Veritas). I used it with a hand turned grinder for sharpening and it worked well, but I got tired of turning the crank and manipulating the blade to be sharpened. I've thought about getting a Jet variable frequency control grinder. What kind of grinder are you using with your setup? My current 3600 RPM grinder is too fast for sharpening. I have a worksharp but its painstakingly slow for initial shaping of a blade.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 12:35:18 PM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
[...]

I cut out and glued a 60 grit piece of sandpaper to a Work Sharp glass wheel. That works pretty quickly on a dull chisel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2020 12:23 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 4:19:27 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Somewhat parallel, but since am older than most redwoods, the Powermatic
Model 66...every bit the saw of SS in mass, balance, etc., but w/o the
then 35 year in the future safety features.

I am in full agreement with your view of the PM66. The sawstop
industrial saw was the closest i could get to a pm66 with sawstop
safety features.

Be interesting if anybody else starts pushing the envelope on the
expiring patents over next few years...surprised weren't more efforts
than have been for workarounds...

Of course, everything else now off-shore w/ no margins for R&D doesn't
lend to more than minimal product evolution rather than real innovation.

I picked mine up at the factory in McMinnville, TN, back when were still
in full-swing production. Some of the piles of rough castings in the
back yard were 15-20 ft tall "seasoning" before final milling operations.

Now, last I looked, it's all bare, vacant industrial property; all the
buildings had been razed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2020 2:25 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/18/2020 12:23 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 4:19:27 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Somewhat parallel, but since am older than most redwoods, the Powermatic
Model 66...every bit the saw of SS in mass, balance, etc., but w/o the
then 35 year in the future safety features.

I am in full agreement with your view of the PM66.Â*Â* The sawstop
industrial saw was the closest i could get to a pm66 with sawstop
safety features.

Be interesting if anybody else starts pushing the envelope on the
expiring patents over next few years...surprised weren't more efforts
than have been for workarounds...

They would have to build a quality saw to compete with SS. I can see
Powermatic doing that but no other American brands.

Of course, everything else now off-shore w/ no margins for R&D doesn't
lend to more than minimal product evolution rather than real innovation.

LOL Well I responded above before reading this. Totally agree.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2020 12:35 PM, Bob D wrote:
[...]

Bob you might want to change to new paper and or a more coarse grit. I
have the Work Sharp and it is pretty fast for me.

FWIW I also have the Ken Onion WorkSharp knife sharpener. That works
extremely well until the belt dulls. I did not realize my belt was
dull until it broke and I replaced it with same but new. WOW that cut
so much faster. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 4:34:27 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

I bought the coarse grit kit for the worksharp. It was better. It still is awfully slow for something like changing angle from 30 deg to 25 deg.

Changing shapes is something that doesn't happen often. There is also the need to repair a blade if you happen to run into a hidden nail. I find a lot of my tools just languish because I don't want to spend a couple of hours reshaping blades. I guess if I had a sharpening station set up full time, it would be easier.

Maybe I'll break out that old hand cranked grinder.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob D wrote in
:

I think I have one of those tool rests (made by Veritas). I used it
with a hand turned grinder for sharpening and it worked well, but I
got tired of turning the crank and manipulating the blade to be
sharpened. I've thought about getting a Jet variable frequency
control grinder. What kind of grinder are you using with your setup?
My current 3600 RPM grinder is too fast for sharpening. I have a
worksharp but its painstakingly slow for initial shaping of a blade.

Bob

I'm using a Performax 6". It's a 3600 RPM grinder. I put on Norton 3x
wheels that help it cut a little cooler. I also dip the tool frequently in
water, and try to do it before the tool gets hot. I dress the wheel any
time it feels like the cutting slows down.

If you're really trying to hog off metal, you'll want a belt grinder like
they use on Forged in Fire. The Harbor Freight 1x30 is ok, but remember
how much you paid for it...

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eli the Bearded" wrote in message ...

I read _Craeft_ (Cræft) by Alexander Langlands last year. He attributes
the death / dying of true craft to the availability of power tools (not
just electron power, but anything more than human hand). Power removes
the connection between human and the material. He doesn't deny that
things can be made faster or well with power tools, but he does argue
that there is a loss of understanding of material that comes from the
mediating effect of just being able to apply more force faster.

I got thinking about this a bit and I'd have to say that discovering the
utility of the the card scraper is way up on the list of game changers for
me. Card scrapers are amazing tools... not only for smoothing difficult
grain but for tweaking surfaces at flush joints, removing finish, tweaking
the fitting of tool handles to heads, tweaking the faces of tenons, tweaking
surfaces that were created with spoke shaves, smoothing finishes, etc.... A
very simple tool that has a lot of utility.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob D" wrote in message

[...]

Sand-O-Flex. Now that I'm more of a woodturner than a
woodworker, I've often said I wouldn't turn most of what I
do if I didn't own one. Probably the only way to sand bark,
bark inclusions, voids, etc. I've had one since I used to
sell them in a hardware store I worked at in the 70's-80's.
I used it to debur routed edges when I did flat work, but
only rarely. Now I use one nearly every day.

Phil

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer Jon Anderson[_3_] Metalworking 6 August 1st 17 03:15 PM
Game Changer!! -MIKE- Woodworking 16 February 18th 13 12:42 AM
Is it worth having your own tire changer? stryped[_3_] Metalworking 13 June 12th 10 02:43 AM
Irritating Game Game qmmary Metalworking 5 January 27th 08 08:30 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good mac davis Woodworking 0 April 21st 05 06:38 PM