Old July 14th 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's your game changer?

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 9:00:15 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Puckdropper

I have to agree. Like many, I have acquired my handplanes, some new but most used. The real eye opener was an early 1900's stanley jointer plane. After sharpening and tuning, it performs miracles. I frequently use it instead of firing up my powermatic jointer. That sounds crazy when I write it. So I guess its a game changer.
Old July 14th 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I think mine was "Care and Repair of Shop Machines: A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance"

Old July 14th 20, 05:52 AM posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Sun, 12 Jul 2020 23:04:12
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 02:00:12 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.

Yeah, I'm learning all that, now.

--
pyotr filipivich
Old July 14th 20, 03:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.

Yeah, I'm learning all that, now.

--
pyotr filipivich

Also any video with Christopher Schwarz on hand planes. He often goes back to Joseph Moxon himself in explaining how hand planes are supposed to be used.
Old July 14th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 10:02:38 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 1:32:07 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:53:27 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 9:00:15 PM UTC-5, Puckdropper wrote:
Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Puckdropper

I learned all the basics from Norm. Gluing, joinery, and so on.

'and so on' includes "just a few brads to hold the joint together while the glue dries". ;-)

I don't know if it was before or after Norm, but I had one of those tables where you mounted a circular saw underneath, probably from Sears. It sounds really dangerous now, thinking about it.

The Hirsh Saw Table. I still have the base from mine, but I covered the ribbed
top with a smooth piece of plywood. I haven't used it in a while, but it makes
a decent portable work table. Still out in the shed.

https://i.imgur.com/lK2DpCX.jpg

It's incredible to see that! Thanks for posting the picture. It still looks dangerous as ever.

It did have one cool safety featu The shut off bar that ran across the
entire front. Assuming it was put together correctly (mine was) you could
hit that bar at any point and it would shut the saw down.

Now, pair the Saw Table with a $30 Craftsman circular saw and you could give
SawStop a run for it's money. It would be hard to tell the difference.
Old July 15th 20, 01:21 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Michael on Tue, 14 Jul 2020 07:04:05 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

Michael wrote in news:fc32b268-2ca3-4e5f-9816-
:

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 11:18:37 AM UTC-5, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Norm Abrams.

Roy Underhill.

I saw hand planes working properly for the first time on his show. Wow.

Yeah, my exposure in high school wood shop and to my father's planes
had been very discouraging. It wasn't until I saw how they were
_supposed_ to work and put the time into tuning and sharpening one
that I realized how badly I had been misled.

Yeah, I'm learning all that, now.

Also any video with Christopher Schwarz on hand planes. He often goes
back to Joseph Moxon himself in explaining how hand planes are
supposed to be used.

I stumbled across Rex Krueger "Woodwork for humans" Youtube
channel. Lot of "how to do this without spending a lot of money." How
to restore old tools, make "old tools", the details of sharpening
tools. "Fun" videos.

Now all I need is the time.
--
pyotr filipivich
Old July 15th 20, 11:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob D" wrote in message

This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in pursuit of
woodworking excellence. It can be something you purchased or built or
found in the trash. It can cost anywhere from free to $1000's. Please
refrain from value judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it;
etc". To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration and
ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished that caused you to
say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

The game changer for me was hanging around with skilled artisans. Seeing
what was possible drove me to get better.

While I had seen Norm and Roy on TV for quite some time it was working at
Colonial Williamsburg, VA in the Gunsmith Shop in the mid '80s that was a
turning point for me. While there I spent a lot of time visiting the shops
for all the various trades. The result of that is I came to understand and
appreciate that most of the world was built without electron power and that
excellent work could be done with hand tools. Before that I believed that
power tools were a necessity...

That said, while I have a lot of hand tools I also have a lot of large
stationary tools and tailed hand tools. I recently added a power feed to my
shop for upcoming molding and flooring projects. I continue to add to the
hand tools via restoration of myriad tools I've "inherited."

Another useful exposure was joining the Northeastern Woodworkers
Association. In addition to the hundreds of members I was exposed to a lot
of professionals, a few of whom used to participate here, e.g., Doug Stowe,
Rob Lee (Lee-Valley). Garrett Hack, Ernie Conover, Chris Schwarz, Tom
Lie-Nielson... and myriad others. The conversations over dinner and drinks
with the professionals were amazing. Club members give talks, demos, and
classes on myriad woodworking subjects. Attend them all even if you don't
have a specific interest as you will get ideas that are transferable. I was
treasurer for the Mid-Hudson Chapter for about 12-13 years, taught classes
and gave presentations at the annual woodworking show in Saratoga Springs...
Get involved. You'll get back every bit of what you contribute!

While the on-line videos are interesting they aren't the same as being in
the same space with and having conversations with skilled artisans. Like
what I experienced while at Williamsburg, being there in person becomes an
academic experience... ideas are shared, techniques explained and
demonstrated, and everyone can walk away with something to think about.

P.S. I didn't work directly with Roy but I knew him socially... his wife and
my housemate were friends and swapped babysitting duties... I met Norm
once... at Sturbridge Village.

Old July 16th 20, 12:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In rec.woodworking,
John Grossbohlin wrote:
While I had seen Norm and Roy on TV for quite some time it was working at
Colonial Williamsburg, VA in the Gunsmith Shop in the mid '80s that was a
turning point for me. While there I spent a lot of time visiting the shops
for all the various trades. The result of that is I came to understand and
appreciate that most of the world was built without electron power and that
excellent work could be done with hand tools. Before that I believed that
power tools were a necessity...

I read _Craeft_ (Cræft) by Alexander Langlands last year. He attributes
the death / dying of true craft to the availability of power tools (not
just electron power, but anything more than human hand). Power removes
the connection between human and the material. He doesn't deny that
things can be made faster or well with power tools, but he does argue
that there is a loss of understanding of material that comes from the
mediating effect of just being able to apply more force faster.

That said, while I have a lot of hand tools I also have a lot of large
stationary tools and tailed hand tools. I recently added a power feed to my
shop for upcoming molding and flooring projects. I continue to add to the
hand tools via restoration of myriad tools I've "inherited."

I love a good handtool, but I have limited space, limited money, limited
time. And no source of tools to inherit. I'm going to have to content
myself with never finding the craft Langlands admires in myself.

My projects have tended towards crude or small, eg:

https://qaz.wtf/qz/blosxom/2020/05/15/mini-drawers

But I find some satisfaction in being able to make the things I need.

Elijah
------
thinks Langlands book could have used more illustrations to explain stuff

3D metal printing, looks like a game changer Jon Anderson[_3_] Metalworking 6 August 1st 17 02:15 PM
Game Changer!! -MIKE- Woodworking 16 February 17th 13 11:42 PM
Is it worth having your own tire changer? stryped[_3_] Metalworking 13 June 12th 10 01:43 AM
Irritating Game Game qmmary Metalworking 5 January 27th 08 07:30 AM