DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Another tool ID needed V (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/67433-another-tool-id-needed-v.html)

R.H. August 31st 04 09:08 PM

Another tool ID needed V

I posted a few more photos this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Over the weekend I bought small piece of metal with some holes in it
at the flea market and I'm not sure if it was made for a reason or if
someone was just practicing with their drill. The guy who sold it to
me said that he got it from a machinist. The block is 1.75"l x
1.125"w x .625"h and the holes are .25" deep. There is a photo of it
at this link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...tt65/block.jpg

Anyone know why this might have been made?

Rob

Clif August 31st 04 09:17 PM

Isnt it obvious? its for holding matches so you dont burn your fingers :-) ,
sorry coulnt help it. I dont know what this one was far, but I saw
something similar at my granddads old workshop, he told me it was for
holding stray nails because my grandma would complain when he kept them in
his teeth. , but I didnt believe him.

Clif

om...

Jay Pique August 31st 04 09:29 PM

On 31 Aug 2004 13:08:49 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

I posted a few more photos this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

The quarter was probably shrunk using a large capacitor and an
electromagnet.

The block with holes in it sort of resembles a 1-2-3 block.

JP

Clif August 31st 04 09:36 PM

Would like to see the reverse side of both coins, it looks like it was
sucked through something, sorry I dont have a technical term for what I am
thinking of

Clif

om...

Kevin August 31st 04 09:53 PM

In another life as a machinist we had tools that were similar. They were
called 1 2 3 blocks. The dimensions were, as stated 1.000 X 2.000 X 3.000
and were used in setups. The accuracy to 3 decimal points indicated that
they could be +/- .0003 off. They were made of good tool steel, cut and
ground down to within a couple hundreths, holes drilled to lighten them up
a bit as well as tapping several of the holes so the blocks could be
attached to one another. After this they were sent out to be heat treated
(hardened) then ground to the proper dimensions on a surface grinder.
As the dimensions are off on this tool perhaps it was for a different type
set up that was often used.

om...

#106 looks like a stitching tool used in leatherwork.

Andy Dingley September 1st 04 01:06 AM

On 31 Aug 2004 17:21:06 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith

#106 looks like a stitching tool used in leatherwork.

Not quite - if you look closely, those are chisel points on the teeth,
not pinpoints. I think it's for tooling the surface of leather, not
for marking stitches or for transferring through a paper pattern.

--
Smert' spamionam

Dan Cullimore September 1st 04 07:51 AM

Jay Pique wrote in message . ..
On 31 Aug 2004 13:08:49 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

cutting what is not needed
The quarter was probably shrunk using a large capacitor and an
electromagnet.

I thought this was caused by inflation.

Dan

Dwight September 1st 04 01:32 PM

"Joey" wrote in message news:hB9Zc.102319$mD.22304@attbi_s02...
106 lookslike a ravioli cutting cutter. Lay sheet of paste out ... put the
fillings down .. put top sheet of pasta on top then cut squares out with
tool

"R.H." wrote in message
om...
I posted a few more photos this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I'm with Andy on #106, it looks like the same tool you use to transfer
patterns onto fabric. Except this one is a lot heavier, so I'd guess
it would be for leather.

The next item reminds me of a mop head holder on the old school mops
that go with the ringer buckets.

The third one has to be some kind of leather stiching tool.

BruceR September 1st 04 02:48 PM

105
crushed in a torrid coils magnetic field.

The block does look like a machining fixture. Place a pin in the
appropriate hole for support of the object being machined. Either way it
looks like something built custom for the job(s).

-Bruce

R.H. September 1st 04 08:42 PM

Jay Pique wrote in message . ..
On 31 Aug 2004 13:08:49 -0700, (R.H.) wrote:

I posted a few more photos this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

The quarter was probably shrunk using a large capacitor and an
electromagnet.

Correct.

The block with holes in it sort of resembles a 1-2-3 block.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Rob

R.H. September 1st 04 08:43 PM

"Kevin" wrote in message ...
In another life as a machinist we had tools that were similar. They were
called 1 2 3 blocks. The dimensions were, as stated 1.000 X 2.000 X 3.000
and were used in setups. The accuracy to 3 decimal points indicated that
they could be +/- .0003 off. They were made of good tool steel, cut and
ground down to within a couple hundreths, holes drilled to lighten them up
a bit as well as tapping several of the holes so the blocks could be
attached to one another. After this they were sent out to be heat treated
(hardened) then ground to the proper dimensions on a surface grinder.
As the dimensions are off on this tool perhaps it was for a different type
set up that was often used.

Thanks for the info.

Rob

R.H. September 1st 04 08:45 PM

#106 looks like a stitching tool used in leatherwork.

Not quite - if you look closely, those are chisel points on the teeth,
not pinpoints. I think it's for tooling the surface of leather, not
for marking stitches or for transferring through a paper pattern.

I'm still looking into this one, but as you say, it does look a little
wide for a marking tool.

Rob

R.H. September 1st 04 08:49 PM

Fun site.

But
If someone gave a reference to an old page, there is no way to move forward.

Glad that you liked the site. You're right, there is no way to move
forward, but they can go to the home page via the link at the bottom,
and then see them all in reverse order from there. That's the only
drawback to using the blog format, but on the plus side I get
automatic page linking and comments.

Rob

R.H. September 1st 04 08:52 PM

"Joey" wrote in message news:hB9Zc.102319$mD.22304@attbi_s02...
106 lookslike a ravioli cutting cutter. Lay sheet of paste out ... put the
fillings down .. put top sheet of pasta on top then cut squares out with
tool

This one isn't a kitchen tool.

Rob

R.H. September 2nd 04 09:41 AM

"Clif" wrote in message hlink.net...
Would like to see the reverse side of both coins, it looks like it was
sucked through something, sorry I dont have a technical term for what I am
thinking of

I didn't have time to take more photos, but this page has pictures of
many more shrunken coins:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/interesting1.html

Here is the site that explains how it was done:

http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

Rob

R.H. September 2nd 04 09:42 AM

BruceR wrote in message ...
105
crushed in a torrid coils magnetic field.

Correct.

The block does look like a machining fixture. Place a pin in the
appropriate hole for support of the object being machined. Either way it
looks like something built custom for the job(s).

Thanks, I was hoping it had some type of use.

R.H. September 2nd 04 09:49 AM

I'm with Andy on #106, it looks like the same tool you use to transfer
patterns onto fabric. Except this one is a lot heavier, so I'd guess
it would be for leather.

Here is the response I got from a leather worker when I asked him
about this one:

"It's for marking leather. It's an overstitch wheel. Simply roll along
leather to mark the spacing of stitches for smooth, even results every
time. Varying ones available for 5, 6, 7 stitches to the inch."

The next item reminds me of a mop head holder on the old school mops
that go with the ringer buckets.

Number 107 isn't for mops.

The third one has to be some kind of leather stiching tool.

This one isn't for leather, but it is used with stitching.

Rob

Larry Jaques September 2nd 04 06:50 PM

On 2 Sep 2004 01:42:40 -0700, (R.H.) calmly ranted:

BruceR wrote in message ...
105
crushed in a torrid coils magnetic field.

Correct.

Wrong. Affairs can be "torrid", but ferrous powders are
made into toroids, most of which are too small in diameter
for torrid affairs.

--

If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming

Robert Bonomi September 3rd 04 02:43 AM

BruceR wrote in message

105
crushed in a torrid coils magnetic field.

Correct.

Wrong. Affairs can be "torrid", but ferrous powders are
made into toroids, most of which are too small in diameter
for torrid affairs.

Nit:
torrid. n. 1) parched with the heat of the sun.
2) scorching, burning.
3) passionate/ardent.

While _probably_ *not* what the O.P. "intended", I will suggest that
def. #2 could be applicable to a high-intensity, VHF, magnetic field.

Larry Jaques September 3rd 04 05:24 PM

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 01:43:44 +0000,
(Robert Bonomi) calmly ranted:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
On 2 Sep 2004 01:42:40 -0700,
(R.H.) calmly ranted:

BruceR wrote in message

105
crushed in a torrid coils magnetic field.

Correct.

Wrong. Affairs can be "torrid", but ferrous powders are
made into toroids, most of which are too small in diameter
for torrid affairs.

Nit:
torrid. n. 1) parched with the heat of the sun.
2) scorching, burning.
3) passionate/ardent.

While _probably_ *not* what the O.P. "intended", I will suggest that
def. #2 could be applicable to a high-intensity, VHF, magnetic field.

Bzzzzt!
Look at the squeezed coins and you'll find no burning,
scorching, or melting whatsoever. #2 does not apply.

--== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==--
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online