DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Craftsman TS rebuild-- Question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/66881-craftsman-ts-rebuild-question.html)

Phil August 27th 04 07:03 PM

Craftsman TS rebuild-- Question

After reading the Craftsman TS rebuild posted earlier, I've been
wondering, Where can I get parts for my OLD 8" Craftsman. I called
Sears & they no longer support the saw in question. This particular
saw has a sheet metal body with a rear mounted motor. The saw tilt
and blade raise mechanism is one handle. When I pull out on the
handle, it engages a gear to tilt the blade to the left. The gear that
tilts the saw blade has worn out. Anybody know where I can get one?
Any suggestions for repair will be appreciated.

Joe_Stein August 27th 04 07:54 PM

Phil wrote:
After reading the Craftsman TS rebuild posted earlier, I've been
wondering, Where can I get parts for my OLD 8" Craftsman. I called
Sears & they no longer support the saw in question. This particular
saw has a sheet metal body with a rear mounted motor. The saw tilt
and blade raise mechanism is one handle. When I pull out on the
handle, it engages a gear to tilt the blade to the left. The gear that
tilts the saw blade has worn out. Anybody know where I can get one?
Any suggestions for repair will be appreciated.

You might try making friends with a small shop machinist. My buddy has
already done thing for me such as threading & boring a shaft for my
homebuilt lathe, cutting a keyway in a bolt, and is now making a screw
on backplate for a lathe chuck.
Good luck.
Joe

Mike Marlow August 27th 04 08:07 PM

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
After reading the Craftsman TS rebuild posted earlier, I've been
wondering, Where can I get parts for my OLD 8" Craftsman. I called
Sears & they no longer support the saw in question. This particular
saw has a sheet metal body with a rear mounted motor. The saw tilt
and blade raise mechanism is one handle. When I pull out on the
handle, it engages a gear to tilt the blade to the left. The gear that
tilts the saw blade has worn out. Anybody know where I can get one?
Any suggestions for repair will be appreciated.

Man - I just put one of those back together last night for a friend. It was
my Dad's and I sold it to my friend a couple of years ago. We finally got
around to tuning it up and cleaning it up and I have to say, that old girl
never sawed as nice as it does now. For the vibration sensitive in the
group, it runs with the standard v-belt and we did stand a nickel up on the
table and it never moved - right from start up to shut down. It just
doesn't get much better than that.

Oh yeah - your question... you best bet is what you're doing here. Post
inquiries here, and maybe in some similar Yahoo groups. There were a ton of
those 8" saws out there so there must be one floating around that someone
will part out. Best of luck in your search.

BTW - I'm not really a Craftsman sort of guy, even though it sure does sound
like it, doesn't it? I just hate to see bandwagons get started or to see
really good things take a bad rap for no good reason.
--

-Mike-

Unisaw A100 August 27th 04 11:40 PM

eBay.com

UA100, who regularly scours eBay for vintage parts and
pieces...