DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Table saw tuneup (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/66130-table-saw-tuneup.html)

Phil Hansen August 22nd 04 09:52 AM

Table saw tuneup

I have got a Taiwanese saw which has given me 6 years of sterling
service. Anyway the cuts have been getting worse with variable widths on
a ripped board.
Got the urge this morning to do a tune up.
Blade alignment was out by 0.3mm but then also found that the arbor end
float (left to right) close to 1mm.
The saw is now in a hundred pieces. The bearings sound like those old
ballbearing roller skates. The end float adjustment is a bit crude, nut
and large spring washer. Was thinking of discarding the spring washer
and using 'loctite' on the nut instead. Surely easier to adjust and with
the right grade the nut will stay put.
Other question is will spray chain lube be OK for the rack and pinion
gears?
Anything else to tune while it is all apart?

TIA
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions

Greg Millen August 22nd 04 10:23 AM

Phil, a nyloc nut may be better, it won't slip. I've sent an email with more
info on tuning.

--
Greg

"Phil Hansen" wrote in message ...
snip
Anything else to tune while it is all apart?

Charlie Self August 22nd 04 11:09 AM

Phil Hansen writes:

Was thinking of discarding the spring washer
and using 'loctite' on the nut instead. Surely easier to adjust and with
the right grade the nut will stay put.

How does the Loctite make it easier to adjust?

Other question is will spray chain lube be OK for the rack and pinion
gears?

Spray chain lube should work fine. Otherwise, melt some paste floor wax (water
bath or double boiler) and squirt some dry graphite lube into it. Brush that
on.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Phil Hansen August 22nd 04 04:50 PM

In article ,
otforme says...
How does the Loctite make it easier to adjust?

Wording G. The Loctite will not make it easier to adjust but should
hold the adjustment without the spring washer. Trying to get the
adjustment right with that dirty great spring washer pushing on the
bearing and parts of the bearing seal can not be the best idea for end
play or bearing life.

Spray chain lube should work fine. Otherwise, melt some paste floor wax (water
bath or double boiler) and squirt some dry graphite lube into it. Brush that
on.

Thanks

--

Phillip Hansen