DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to fix wainscot to concrete wall ? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/65492-how-fix-wainscot-concrete-wall.html)

Filo August 17th 04 01:53 PM

How to fix wainscot to concrete wall ?

Hello,

In mine country wainscot is not so popular like in USA. Ours building
norm order ventilation slot between wood and wall to prevent moisture.
I afraid this solution becasue in main opinion growing risk of vermin
in that slot. Based on yours experience, is moisture a real risk if I
will glue wainscot to concrete wall (outer isolated) ?

With greetings, Filo.

Mike Marlow August 17th 04 02:57 PM

"Filo" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

In mine country wainscot is not so popular like in USA. Ours building
norm order ventilation slot between wood and wall to prevent moisture.
I afraid this solution becasue in main opinion growing risk of vermin
in that slot. Based on yours experience, is moisture a real risk if I
will glue wainscot to concrete wall (outer isolated) ?

With greetings, Filo.

Filo:

I live in the northeast USA and we do have to contend with moisture problems
up here. I would not glue any wood directly to a concrete wall that was
below grade where I live. Above grade, I probably would with less concern
for moisture problems. Below grade I fir out the wall with at least 1x3
stringers, simply to ensure the air gap that you are required to provide.

--

-Mike-

Phisherman August 17th 04 07:22 PM

On 17 Aug 2004 05:53:06 -0700, (Filo) wrote:

Hello,

In mine country wainscot is not so popular like in USA. Ours building
norm order ventilation slot between wood and wall to prevent moisture.
I afraid this solution becasue in main opinion growing risk of vermin
in that slot. Based on yours experience, is moisture a real risk if I
will glue wainscot to concrete wall (outer isolated) ?

With greetings, Filo.

Leave a 1/2" gap between the wainscot and the wall. Use a cement
paint sealer such as UGL to seal the wall before covering it. Of
course if there is any clue of water seepage, deal with that problem
first.