Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reclaimed Chestnut Lumber

Chestnut is not indigenous here in Louisiana and only the past 10 yrs or so did I become aware of or understand the plight of the chestnut trees. With little research, I thought Chestnut lumber was very desirable and pricey.. Now I suppose my thinking is not quite right, that maybe Chestnut is not so desirable.

You guys up north more in the know, is reclaimed chestnut not so desirable after all? Googling prices, I find many sources where prices range from $10-$20 bd/ft. These prices convinced me not to be so eager to bid on this latest IRS auction.

Reason I ask: The auction closed yesterday, had lots of different reclaimed lumbers listed. I watched for a week or so, wondering how things would sell. Initially I considered bidding, making a trip to NC if I had won a bid(s). I focused on the Chestnut lumber. I didn't bid, thinking the prices would skyrocket, since I assumed it was so desirable. Seems most of the Lots sold for roughly $2 bd/ft for reclaimed Chestnut. Lot 204 sold for about $2.50 bd/ft.

I'm thinking these are really cheap prices for rare(?) lumber. I suppose I'm not educated enough to have been aware, but I think I would have bid on several of the Lots if I had some sense the prices would have been this low..

What's your take on reclaimed chestnut in general and are these prices, as it sold for here, average prices?
https://www.irsauctions.com/lots/?pg=details&id=23491

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/8/2020 8:27 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Chestnut is a wonderful wood to work and is quite desirable...most of
the what you're seeing high prices for is either from beam construction
or some is from fallen logs. Generally those will also be graded and
in normal hardwood random sizes with wider boards. That drives the
price way up.

The lots I saw were all either flooring or flooring blanks it appeared
of 4" and 8-ft or under. Also was clearly not graded or if had been had
been sorted through and what's left in the auction is the ends -- some
good looking pieces but quite a bit with large knots and other defects.

Also, you have no idea what's inside a strapped bundle like that with
only a few pictures of the top layer -- folks aren't going to bid highly
on a pig in a poke...

I agree that if you've got a use for the sizes and can tolerate the
grade of 1C or so, it went pretty cheaply in comparison. But, can't
compare directly to graded, known material from a regular source.

BTW, many of the reclaimed lumber places I've seen online not knowing
where your searches took you look to be quite pricey and to be living
off the green cult rather than being really market-driven pricing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 9:06:30 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 7/8/2020 8:27 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Pretty much everything you've said makes perfect sense. I had not evaluated it that way. Thanks.

It would be good if I could inspect the lumber. I've gotten pretty good at "repairing" defected lumber, especially for my generally rustic type projects. I'm of the mindset, though, that I can make almost any salvaged lumber look good for almost any project.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 06:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Never worked with American Chestnut.
Some info phone for prices at this exotic wood dealer
in southern Ontario :

https://www.forloversofwood.com/prod...tnut-american/

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny on Wed, 8 Jul 2020 07:43:33 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:

BTW, many of the reclaimed lumber places I've seen online not knowing
where your searches took you look to be quite pricey and to be living
off the green cult rather than being really market-driven pricing.

Pretty much everything you've said makes perfect sense. I had not evaluated it that way. Thanks.

It would be good if I could inspect the lumber. I've gotten pretty good at "repairing" defected lumber, especially for my generally rustic type projects. I'm of the mindset, though, that I can make almost any salvaged lumber look good for almost any project.

Neighbor is remodeling the garage. Part of it has full size 2x12
planks for flooring. Beautiful looking, but it has been laying on the
ground for ~100 years (House built in 1920). So, maybe some of it
could be turned into 1x12 planks. If I had a place to store it before
and after. And a saw capable of ripping a 2 x 12.
What would I use it for? Details! Something will come to mind.

--
pyotr filipivich

reclaimed lumber wood preservation question Ohioguy Woodworking 5 June 15th 10 02:01 AM
reclaimed lumber TD Driver Woodworking 0 November 20th 08 02:06 AM
What do you take to test lumber at lumber yard eganders Woodworking 9 October 15th 07 10:27 PM
Old chestnut... which screws do you recommend ? Colin Wilson UK diy 2 December 13th 04 03:47 AM
Chestnut on the way back?? Bay Area Dave Woodworking 3 June 9th 04 08:11 PM