DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Opinions- Grizzly G0444Z vs. Ridgid TS3650 (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/65142-opinions-grizzly-g0444z-vs-ridgid-ts3650.html)

Dale August 14th 04 11:19 PM

Opinions- Grizzly G0444Z vs. Ridgid TS3650

I was all set on ordering the Grizzly contractor saw until the other
day when I went through the tool corral at the local HD and saw the
Ridgid tools on sale. I ordered a 6" jointer and saw that the Ridgid
contractor saw was marked down from $597 to $547. Also, I'm supposed
to receive a $50 gift card with the purchase of the jointer and if I
buy the saw I'm supposed to receive a $100 gift card. So if I go ahead
and get the Ridgid saw I'm looking to spend under $500 if you take the
gift cards into account. The Grizzly lists for $525 + $75 shipping
plus $70 for a mobile base, the Ridgid has wheels built into the base.
So it would be $670 for the Grizzly. They appear to be somewhat
comparable saws with the main difference I can see being the Grizzly
is rated at 2 HP and the Ridgid 1 1/2 HP. I will mostly be working
with 6/4 or thinner hardwoods and sheet goods so I'm not
ultra-concerned about the 1/2 hp. I'm upgrading from a DeWalt 744
bench top saw. I've read a lot about people who are happy with their
Grizzly saws and I was hoping to get some feedback from Ridgid owners.
I've also read on this board that Grizzly has had some of their saws
on backorder. Anyone ordered the G0444Z recently? How long did you
have to wait? Thanks.

Dale

Mike Gerdts August 15th 04 04:09 AM

In past discussions here and other places, the arguments have been:

- They are both good saws
- The Grizzly may require you to do some special wiring in your shop.
- Ridgid has been sketchy on getting parts to customers.
- At the price the Ridgid is a great deal
- I really like Grizzly tools and I hate buying from the BORG.
- Ridgid comes with a 90-day money back guarantee. If you are unhappy,
all that you have lost is your back (270 lbs), a couple hours of
assembly, and whatever project you were unhappy with.

I have taken the bait and bought the Ridgid. Unfortunately I have
spent too much time today landscaping when I should be playing with
new tools.

Mike

Larry Jaques August 15th 04 04:32 AM

On 14 Aug 2004 15:19:01 -0700, (Dale)
calmly ranted:

I've also read on this board that Grizzly has had some of their saws
on backorder. Anyone ordered the G0444Z recently? How long did you
have to wait? Thanks.

The longest wait should be 4-6 weeks IF they don't have anything
already on a ship. They told me that my bandsaw was backordered
when I called on a Friday. Oak Harbor Freight (the trucking company
for my area) called me the very next Monday asking when they could
deliver it. So their li'l backorders can be a lot shorter than you
might think.

The more we gripe, *
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts