Posted to rec.woodworking

Default lighting struck wood

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:22:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Yes I do email me at with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.

I'd like to see some pics of furniture struck by thunder.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:44:22 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:22:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Yes I do email me at with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.

I'd like to see some pics of furniture struck by thunder.

Sonny

I've heard that it's a deafening sight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 5:42:48 PM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:44:22 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:22:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Yes I do email me at with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.

I'd like to see some pics of furniture struck by thunder.

Sonny

(I get the joke)

Lichtenberg (fractal) burning is (sometimes) pretty cool. I say sometimes
because...

SWMBO and I went to a crafts show a few years ago and there was a vendor
selling all sorts of "Lichtenberg" stuff.

The maker had done everything from simple panels that you could hang on a
wall like a picture to end tables to large dressers. We liked the simpler
pieces, but when it came to the dressers and other large items, especially
when they were filled with bright colored epoxy, we lost interest. The large
pieces that were just minimally figured were fine, but it looked to us like
the maker had gone a little far with some of the pieces. Almost garish in
appearance.

For those not familiar with the Lichtenburg process, there's about a million
of these videos out there. For entertainment purposes only (the lawyers made
me say that) ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krIy7YLuhrM

RIP Matt,
https://www.hngnews.com/milton_courier/article_81040bfc-96d7-59b8-a283-cf3853b11064.html

It's very sad that the Schmidt family lost a loving husband and father,
but this statement really has me baffled:

"We didnt know it was dangerous"

It's 2020. *Any* amount of research into fractal burning would have turned
up tons of information on the dangers. I just don't believe that Matt didn't
know that it was dangerous. And Caitlin? She's an RN. She didn't know that
working with electricity can kill you?

DAGS for fractal burning.

The very first hit, right on the Google results page (you don't even have to
click a link) says:

"Fractal burning, also called Lichtenberg, is a process that creates images
such as these on wood using high-voltage electricity and a conductive
solution. ... The American Association of Woodturners Safety Committee issued
a policy against fractal burning, also known as Lichtenberg, banning it from
AAW events. Jul 24, 2017"

If that's not enough for someone to dig a little further, I don't know what
is.

"We didnt know it was dangerous"

Seriously?
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, high voltage/power electricity (it's got to burn wood) with a
conductive solution... What could go wrong?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny on Fri, 3 Jul 2020 05:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 2:22:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Yes I do email me at with your contact details and I will forward it to a friend I know that makes furniture and other items look like they have been hit but thunder and lightning.

I'd like to see some pics of furniture struck by thunder.

So would I. Google, of course is useless.

--
pyotr filipivich