DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tung Oil & Val Oil- 2 Questions About Both (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/651208-tung-oil-val-oil-2-questions-about-both.html)

DerbyDad03 June 28th 20 03:26 AM

Tung Oil & Val Oil- 2 Questions About Both

1 - Do they go bad sitting in a can? I've got a can of each...could be as
old as 10 years, I don't recall.

2 - Which (if either) could I use on cedar to keep it from turning grey (as
fast)?

I'm making some planter boxes for SWMBO (pictures coming when I'm done) and
wondering what I could use to keep the grey away for as long as possible. I
don't think there will be any ongoing maintenance, but if I can toss on a
fews coats of something to at least keep them looking new for longer, I'd
give it a try.

(These aren't show pieces, just something so she can plant some herbs in
amongst her other plants.)

Thanks!

[email protected] June 28th 20 08:44 AM

Tung Oil & Val Oil- 2 Questions About Both

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 02:26:54 -0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

1 - Do they go bad sitting in a can? I've got a can of each...could be as
old as 10 years, I don't recall.
2 - Which (if either) could I use on cedar to keep it from turning grey (as
fast)?
I'm making some planter boxes for SWMBO (pictures coming when I'm done) and
wondering what I could use to keep the grey away for as long as possible. I
don't think there will be any ongoing maintenance, but if I can toss on a
fews coats of something to at least keep them looking new for longer, I'd
give it a try.
(These aren't show pieces, just something so she can plant some herbs in
amongst her other plants.)
Thanks!

polymerized tung oil - some info here :

https://assets.leevalley.com/Origina...oil-c-01-e.pdf

" Storage: Keep container tightly closed when not in use.
Air will cause the oil to congeal. If not using full container
shortly, decant into smaller metal containers or fi ll remaining space
with water. Water will displace the oil to the top. "

... seems to go bad over time .. ?

John T.

Leon[_7_] June 29th 20 07:40 PM

On 6/27/2020 9:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
1 - Do they go bad sitting in a can? I've got a can of each...could be as
old as 10 years, I don't recall.

Normally not if unopened. Once opened 50/50.

2 - Which (if either) could I use on cedar to keep it from turning grey (as
fast)?

No clear finish will keep wood from turning grey, that I am aware of.
UV rays fade the surface of the wood.
Pressure wash or sand to remove the grey.

I'm making some planter boxes for SWMBO (pictures coming when I'm done) and
wondering what I could use to keep the grey away for as long as possible. I
don't think there will be any ongoing maintenance, but if I can toss on a
fews coats of something to at least keep them looking new for longer, I'd
give it a try.

If you wan to still see the wood, use an outdoor stain.

[email protected] June 30th 20 12:57 AM

Tung Oil & Val Oil- 2 Questions About Both

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:40:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/27/2020 9:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
1 - Do they go bad sitting in a can? I've got a can of each...could be as
old as 10 years, I don't recall.

Normally not if unopened. Once opened 50/50.

2 - Which (if either) could I use on cedar to keep it from turning grey (as
fast)?

No clear finish will keep wood from turning grey, that I am aware of.
UV rays fade the surface of the wood.
Pressure wash or sand to remove the grey.

Oxalic acid works well.