Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting a hole in drywall: Options?

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 11:26:21 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:43:48 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 9:43:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:21:36 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:30:33 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

On 6/18/2020 9:44 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Puckdropper on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:43:55 GMT
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

I have a renovation project for the office (third bedroom) in
mind, which involves "First, cut a large hole in the drywall.."* I've
a number of means for doing that, but I would like to kind of minimize
the dust. My options for cutting are
Chain Saw. {Maybe not the best idea, but it is 'an idea'.}
Corded circular saw
Battery powered Circ Saw.
Reciprocating saw.
Roto-zip or Dremel,
"Oscillating Multi-tool"
Hatchet,
Drywall Saw
Razor knife.

I suppose I could remove the clothing and "stuff" from the closet
first, but where's the fun in that?

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access. It was done in the older
part of the house, why not bin the add on?

Does the roto-zip have a vacuum attachment? My router does and it's very
effective when it comes to wood dust. Since the setups are very similar,
you'll probably see similar results.

It might, but I don't have it. Nor do I have a shop vac. Hasn't
been a problem so far. The table saw gets set up outdoors, and I
haven't had that many power tools till recently.

And thanks to all for the "Use a knife" advice. I had not thought
of that. But that still leaves a lot of other issues. (Like where do
I put the stuff in the closet/room while I work.)

That's beyond our pay grade. It's a question for SWMBO.
Grind the "set" off a hacksaw ( or other high-tooth-count) blade for
a sawzall and put it into a handle made for the purpose (jab saw
handle" Basically grind the blade to a sharp edge but with fine teeth
so it cuts better than a knife and doesn't make as much dust as a saw
allows you to "drag" the blade across studs cutting the drywall right
to the stud.

I like that idea. I have used a sawsall blade but didn't think to
grind it down. The unmodified blade wasn't very satisfactory, at
least cutting outlet boxes.

If you're going to grind down a sawsall blade and then cut the hole by hand,
why not grind down a half-moon oscillating tool blade?

I have a couple lengths of industrial band saw blades, with the
intent to make them into knives or scrapers or something ...

I've never lacked for intentions. I've got more than enough to spare if
you need a few.
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you're going to grind down a sawsall blade and then cut the hole by hand,
why not grind down a half-moon oscillating tool blade?

I have a couple lengths of industrial band saw blades, with the
intent to make them into knives or scrapers or something ...

I've never lacked for intentions. I've got more than enough to spare if
you need a few.

.... me too - keep them in the drawer with the round tuits ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2020 7:12 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 09:22:30 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

Just Wondering on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 01:58:24 -0600 typed in
On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

Greetings

I have a renovation project for the office (third bedroom) in mind,
which involves "First, cut a large hole in the drywall.."*Â* I've a
number of means for doing that, but I would like to kind of minimize
the dust.Â* My options for cutting are
Â*Â*Â*Â*Chain Saw.Â* {Maybe not the best idea, but it is 'an idea'.}
Â*Â*Â*Â*Corded circular saw
Â*Â*Â*Â*Battery powered Circ Saw.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Reciprocating saw.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Roto-zip or Dremel,
Â*Â*Â*Â*"Oscillating Multi-tool"
Â*Â*Â*Â*Hatchet,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Drywall Saw
Â*Â*Â*Â*Razor knife.

I suppose I could remove the clothing and "stuff" from the closet
first, but where's the fun in that?

tschus
pyotr

* the idea is to cut a hole in the wall to allow a lot of "extra
space" at the top of the closet to get a 'decking' laid down, making
for more storage space,with better access.Â* It was done in the older
part of the house, why not bin the add on?

Just use a utility knife. There will be almost no dust.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=utility+knife&ref=nb_sb_noss

Utility knife is good, rotary tool will be faster. Cut up to studs as
suggested (for reasons for that should be obvious).Â* Cover floor well
before you start, and then don't worry about it. I think removing the
drywall will be the least of the challenges in your project.Â* And if you
accidentally cut/break too much, working with drywall isn't that
difficult--just a bit dusty and time consuming, and it requires a few
tools. Have fun.

Pyotr didn't ask about fast. The only concern he expressed
was to minimize dust.

True. But "fast" is also desirable. (Actually, what I'd like is
to say "I'll be back tomorrow" and it's all done, including cleanup.
But, no such luck.

You can cut a pretty big hole with a utility knife in less time
than cleaning up the dust from a "faster" method would take.

+1

But, if you care about the utility knife, make sure it's good and
clean after. Drywall dusts seems to suck water out of the air and
will rust the knife seemingly overnight.

Jeez, how much are you paying for utility knife blades??? ;~0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

suggested (for reasons for that should be obvious).* Cover floor well
before you start, and then don't worry about it. I think removing the
drywall will be the least of the challenges in your project.* And if you
accidentally cut/break too much, working with drywall isn't that
difficult--just a bit dusty and time consuming, and it requires a few
tools. Have fun.

Pyotr didn't ask about fast. The only concern he expressed
was to minimize dust.

True. But "fast" is also desirable. (Actually, what I'd like is
to say "I'll be back tomorrow" and it's all done, including cleanup.
But, no such luck.
You can cut a pretty big hole with a utility knife in less time
than cleaning up the dust from a "faster" method would take.

+1

But, if you care about the utility knife, make sure it's good and
clean after. Drywall dusts seems to suck water out of the air and
will rust the knife seemingly overnight.

Jeez, how much are you paying for utility knife blades??? ;~0'

Not the blade. The entire knife.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

I have 5 extra ones in my 4 utility knives (but the search for all 4
might take awhile).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Just Wondering on Fri, 19 Jun 2020 11:56:48 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
On 6/18/2020 7:37 PM, wrote:

Is it possible that the wall is plaster (and all that goes with it)
and not "drywall"?

If it's plaster - I hereby withdraw my suggestion
of using a utility knife ! :-)

If the wall is lathe and plaster you will have a mess putting
a hole in it no matter what method you use.

Ayup.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 19 Jun 2020 09:08:29 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 11:26:21 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:43:48 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 9:43:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:21:36 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[ka-chunk]
I like that idea. I have used a sawsall blade but didn't think to
grind it down. The unmodified blade wasn't very satisfactory, at
least cutting outlet boxes.

If you're going to grind down a sawsall blade and then cut the hole by hand,
why not grind down a half-moon oscillating tool blade?

I have a couple lengths of industrial band saw blades, with the
intent to make them into knives or scrapers or something ...

I've never lacked for intentions. I've got more than enough to spare if
you need a few.

I don't need to make new years resolutions. I've still got an
unused batch from 2018... 2010 .. 1999
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/19/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:18:02 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

I never had that problem. Used to cut quite a bit when helping a buddy
paint houses and repair holes.

Maybe sweaty hands? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 18:44:08 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/19/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:18:02 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

My utility knives all have either plastic (the cheap ones) or alloy
handles. I have an old steel blade scraper - but it has a real good
nickle olating on it eo it hasn't rusted in well over 50 years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 6/19/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:18:02 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/17/2020 7:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:

[...]

The guts rust making it next to impossible to operate.

Maybe sweaty hands? ;~)

Hands on the inside? It only happens to the ones I use for sheetrock.
I only use throw-away tools on sheetrock. The stuff is abrasive and
gets everywhere, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:45:52 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

What I'm likely to do is start at the opening next to the opening,
and cut up. Finding any studs in the middle of the panel is a good
idea. Details to be determined.
--

You actually want to find studs at the *edges* of the panel. If you cut the
drywall along the center of those studs, you can easily reattach the patch

What I'm doing is cutting the drywall off. Intending to make a
permanent opening in the wall, to access the "loft" I'll be adding to
the top of the closet.

My recent project (Ignore the horizontal board; that's blocking for the
shower valve so that the shower stall wall doesn't "flex".)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2020 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/18/2020 5:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
As a professional license contractor I cut holes in drywall with a

drywall saw, rotozip tool, roofing hatchet, hammer, a boot, and my fist,
on actual job sites.

I must have seen your work!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

You use what you have and you get the job done. Unless you are

putting a box or a low voltage ring in the hole you are going to have to
patch it anyway.

I've seen boxes installed like that, but not by my guys. LOL. No doubt
if you were there at the right time you could have head somebody say,
"Don't worry about it. The painter will fix it."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 06:49:16 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 6/18/2020 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/18/2020 5:00 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
As a professional license contractor I cut holes in drywall with a

drywall saw, rotozip tool, roofing hatchet, hammer, a boot, and my fist,
on actual job sites.

I must have seen your work!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

You use what you have and you get the job done. Unless you are

putting a box or a low voltage ring in the hole you are going to have to
patch it anyway.

I've seen boxes installed like that, but not by my guys. LOL. No doubt
if you were there at the right time you could have head somebody say,
"Don't worry about it. The painter will fix it."

My Dad was an electrician. One drywaller company was REALLY BAD for
covering up outlet boxes. After several weeks of using his magnetic
"box detector" and carefully cutting out the boxes with his knife -
and complaining to the contractor, he started just pulling out his
handy 16 oz Estwing and peppering the wall in the area where the box
was supposed to be 'till he found it - then knocking out a hole big
enough to pass a basketball through from "mid-court". After about 2
days the drywallers got the message loud and clear - DON'T MESS WITH
MERVIN!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, June 22, 2020 at 8:58:37 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Mon, 22 Jun 2020 10:45:52 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

What I'm likely to do is start at the opening next to the opening,
and cut up. Finding any studs in the middle of the panel is a good
idea. Details to be determined.
--

You actually want to find studs at the *edges* of the panel. If you cut the
drywall along the center of those studs, you can easily reattach the patch
as well as put a screw at the edge of the remaining drywall in case it wasn't
attached at that location. That's will help prevent the repaired seam from
cracking due to movement.

What I'm doing is cutting the drywall off. Intending to make a
permanent opening in the wall, to access the "loft" I'll be adding to
the top of the closet.

Then I have to assume that you will be cutting studs and/or joists - unless
you and your stuff are pretty skinny.

As Mike Holmes likes to say to say about "structure":

"Everything behind the walls is important. Everything else is a bonus."

I hope you have a plan to replace any structure that you remove.

If you remove any structure

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Tue, 23 Jun 2020 15:35:35 -0700
[...]

Just the studs.
|________|
| ].........[.
|_].........[_

Bad ASCII art, I know, but )
the top area is currently finished with drywall, provably some framing
behind it.
the |...] is the wall from the corner of the entrance to the edge of
the closet opening (no doors, just a hole in the wall).
What I want to do is open the top part, remove possible one or two
studs, put a 'deck' behind it. Where the horizontal line is below.
| ]__|__[.
| ].........[.
|_].........[_

That's where stuff can be stored which isn't very heavy. In the
other room, that's where the TP, Paper towels, Kleenex, and the like
are kept. Like I said "Uncle Nik-nak's Summer Suits, Uncle Nik-nak's
Winter Suits, Uncle Nik-nak."

As Mike Holmes likes to say to say about "structure":

"Everything behind the walls is important. Everything else is a bonus."

I hope you have a plan to replace any structure that you remove.

If you remove any structure

I am assuming that this is not a load bearing wall. A six foot or
more span, not inline with any "major walls", makes me feel that it
isn't. However,once I get it opened up, I can take a gander and go
from there. If it is load bearing, then headers and the rest.
Otherwise, if the studs are on 16 centers, I can just remove every
other one to make 32 in opening. "Big enough"

now, out in the shop shed, if I put the window in the west wall,
that will call for some fancy carpentry. Cause I got ceiling joists
holding up the attic, and I'm gonna have to support them while I do
the window framing. Many details to be determined before I even ask
the engineering types I know for advice.

tschus

--
pyotr filipivich