Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Warped Bamboo Cutting Board - Can It Be Flattened?

Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 11:51:07 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

You, essentially, reverse the cause of the problem. Put it outside in the sun, convex side up. It will likely flatten out again.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 12:26:27 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 11:51:07 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

You, essentially, reverse the cause of the problem. Put it outside in the sun, convex side up. It will likely flatten out again.

Sonny

The cutting board may have been left exposed in/near the window, where sunlight shone on it, heating/drying the concave side. If that was the case, then dampen the concave side.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 11:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

Ask the manufacturer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 11:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

If you only use one side attach, with elongated screw slots, attach
straightening feet/runners on the bottom.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 1:32:49 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 12:26:27 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 11:51:07 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

You, essentially, reverse the cause of the problem. Put it outside in the sun, convex side up. It will likely flatten out again.

Sonny

The cutting board may have been left exposed in/near the window, where sunlight shone on it, heating/drying the concave side. If that was the case, then dampen the concave side.

Sonny

Maybe the heat source was from something else, but a window related
occurrence wouldn't fit my kitchen situation. Northern exposure, treed
yard, one window over the sink, etc.

Maybe the under-the-counter LED strips? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/10/2020 11:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

Ask the manufacturer.

I doubt they speak English.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:29:16 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/10/2020 11:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

If you only use one side attach, with elongated screw slots, attach
straightening feet/runners on the bottom.

I'm not sure which side is curved, the top or the bottom. I wouldn't want to
fix the wrong side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:50:08 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:29:16 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/10/2020 11:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

If you only use one side attach, with elongated screw slots, attach
straightening feet/runners on the bottom.

I'm not sure which side is curved, the top or the bottom. I wouldn't want to
fix the wrong side.

Ack! Thppt! (channeling Bill The Cat)

That's the largest of a set of 3. The other 2 are beginning to warp also.

Light weight and SWMBO likes cutting on them, but obviously they have issues.
It's still interesting that they all just started warping at the same time.

There's more humidity now than during the winter, which is when they were
bought. I'm going to blame it on that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:26:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Several days of rain or otherwise high humidity in the house?

Since all are affected, were the boards together where water could
drip on them from above (leak of some kind)?

Leaned against the toaster?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:26:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's the largest of a set of 3. The other 2 are beginning to warp also.

Light weight and SWMBO likes cutting on them, but obviously they have issues.
It's still interesting that they all just started warping at the same time.

There's more humidity now than during the winter, which is when they were
bought. I'm going to blame it on that.

The cause is because of one circumstance: one side has cupped or one side has expanded. With the board that is least used, either place it in the sun or dampen as noted above. If for some reason the "fix" totally fails, ruining the board, you'll still have 2 other boards for usage.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 12:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Are they usually used with the same side up? And then perhaps left
sitting on a wet countertop? Or stored in a cabinet near the oven?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

I'd try treating it as if it's wood and see what happens...

When you wash it, wash both sides.
Then stand it on edge until its dry.

That process evens out the moisture on both sides and the boards stay quite
flat... any minor undulations or cupping are certainly not perceptible in
use.

I also soak the maple end grain boards I make with mineral oil occasionally.
I keep putting it on until it lays on the surface and doesn't soak in. Then
I wipe off the excess and let it dry on edge. There is usually some weeping
so I sit it on paper towels. Doing this keeps water from soaking into the
grain as deep as it would if it were untreated wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 12:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

I would try a few methods.

First, sand it to remove any finish.

!) a Wet towel/cloth over the board and iron it or some other steam option.

2) Wet towel/cloth on board and lay in the sun.

3) Soak the entire thing in water, remove, lay something heavy on it to
flatten and let dry.

Once flattened, refinish it to seal it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe

Since all are affected, were the boards together where water could
drip on them from above (leak of some kind)?

Together, yes; Leak, no.

Leaned against the toaster?

No

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 12:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

Easy to do. Heat a rectangular pan of water t0 117 to 119 degrees.
Face the short end of the pan north if you do it before 6 PM, south
after 6 PM. Lay the board in the water for 8 1/5 minutes, basting
constantly.

Remove board from the pan and place it in the garage or driveway. convex
side up, and park the car with left front wheel on it for three days.
Repeat as needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:13:21 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

[...]

I've found that the best way to get mineral oil absorbed deep into the
wood grain is to heat the wood up with a paint stripping gun (used
gently - don't scortch) coat it with oil, and allow to cool. The heat
drives much moisture and air out, and as it cools the oil is drawn
into the grain.

I've done this in situ with a maple butcheblock kitchen counter.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:51:02 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

My own suspicion is that the "top" side absorbed moisture from
what was being cut on it, or from being wiped down. Or an increase in
humidity and the damp air was not able to get to the "bottom".
Regardless one side ("the top") was able to absorb more than the other
resulting in differential expansion.
My recommendation would be to wet the bottom, or just turn it
over. In the future, you might want to store them so that there is
even air flow on both sides, so that both sides get to absorb / dry
"evenly".

Other options for fixing it might include wetting it down, and
then putting a cast iron pot on the bow to force it down. Might.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:57:25 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:51:02 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

My own suspicion is that the "top" side absorbed moisture from
what was being cut on it, or from being wiped down. Or an increase in
humidity and the damp air was not able to get to the "bottom".
Regardless one side ("the top") was able to absorb more than the other
resulting in differential expansion.

While I'm not disagreeing, it just seems strange that the 3 boards in the
set all warped at the same time. As far as SWMBO and I can recall, they were
flat one day, warped the next. The one in the image is the largest. You can
see by the amount of warp that it's not something that could have sneaked
up on us. We would have noticed it way before it got that bad.

My recommendation would be to wet the bottom, or just turn it
over. In the future, you might want to store them so that there is
even air flow on both sides, so that both sides get to absorb / dry
"evenly".

They are stored on end in this, so there is lots of air flow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCPJ0PM

Other options for fixing it might include wetting it down, and
then putting a cast iron pot on the bow to force it down. Might.

After our vacation, I'll give some things a try. I have huge poundage of steel
plates. Flattening it, even dry, won't be an issue. Maybe I'll just bolt it to
a 10 pound plate. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

These boards are made of bamboo and are pretty thin. Not sure what kind of
glue was used. Not sure if they would absorb mineral oil. I'll look into it..
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Fri, 12 Jun 2020 05:26:59 -0700
[...]

Uh-oh. "Menehunes" (The Wee Folk" of Hawaii)!

Not sure what you need to do to keep them happy.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 7:27:02 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

They are stored on end in this, so there is lots of air flow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCPJ0PM

d plate. ;-)

Well hells bells, there's your common denominator problem for the three boards. Paint your rack purple with orange dots and everything will be fine.

Sony
Posted to rec.woodworking

bOn Fri, 12 Jun 2020 05:29:22 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

[...]

Which direction is the grain (horizontal or vertical)? Bamboo is like
oak. It'll suck a lot of water if the end grain is exposed. It's
like a pack of drinking straws glued together.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll check when I get home. On vacation for a week. We were supposed to go to
Yellowstone NP where my daughters were going run a half-marathon, but the
event was cancelled. Swapped it for a week in Columbus, OH visiting my son
and his GF. Not a bad city. Going canoeing tomorrow. Should be fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 12:51:07 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

I just remembered that I forgot to post the solution to the warping issue. It
worked for all 3 cutting boards:

Ignore it and it will go away.

One day, maybe a few weeks after the warping suddenly appeared, I pulled out
one of the bamboo cutting boards and realized that it was completely flat. I
checked the other 2 and they were flat also. Been that way for a couple of
weeks now.

We don't know when they flattened out because we've been using other cutting
boards. Now we're back to using the bamboo ones.

How come when I ignore most other problems they don't just go away?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 8:49:34 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

How come when I ignore most other problems they don't just go away?

Because the Force don't always be with you.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/11/2020 8:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 12:51:07 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

OK, I was going to say that as old as this topic is you should have
replaced the bamboo cutting boards, watched them warp also, bought
replacements again.....

I just remembered that I forgot to post the solution to the warping issue. It
worked for all 3 cutting boards:

Ignore it and it will go away.

One day, maybe a few weeks after the warping suddenly appeared, I pulled out
one of the bamboo cutting boards and realized that it was completely flat. I
checked the other 2 and they were flat also. Been that way for a couple of
weeks now.

We don't know when they flattened out because we've been using other cutting
boards. Now we're back to using the bamboo ones.

So I would say that one side is absorbing too much moisture. I would
apply what ever is recommended to both sides regularly.

How come when I ignore most other problems they don't just go away?

Because..........

An old saying about why mechanics drive cars that are clunkers. They
know what is wrong and that does not bother them enough to make the
repair. It's when you don't know what is wrong that you want to fix it.

Flattened Sofa Seat Cushions? Jeff Wisnia[_9_] Home Repair 5 February 15th 15 11:27 AM
Warped Chess Board suzyq4 Woodturning 5 November 27th 12 11:23 AM
Bamboo Cutting Boards? trvlnmny Woodworking 13 January 20th 11 04:00 AM
Warped board gary Woodworking 3 January 20th 07 05:05 AM
Front door warped (from heat or rain) and can't lock it Maimai UK diy 2 July 23rd 06 11:24 AM