Old June 10th 20, 09:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Warped Bamboo Cutting Board - Can It Be Flattened?

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:26:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:50:08 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:29:16 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/10/2020 11:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

If you only use one side attach, with elongated screw slots, attach
straightening feet/runners on the bottom.

I'm not sure which side is curved, the top or the bottom. I wouldn't want to
fix the wrong side.

Ack! Thppt! (channeling Bill The Cat)

That's the largest of a set of 3. The other 2 are beginning to warp also.

Light weight and SWMBO likes cutting on them, but obviously they have issues.
It's still interesting that they all just started warping at the same time.

There's more humidity now than during the winter, which is when they were
bought. I'm going to blame it on that.

Several days of rain or otherwise high humidity in the house?

Since all are affected, were the boards together where water could
drip on them from above (leak of some kind)?

Leaned against the toaster?

Old June 10th 20, 10:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:26:51 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's the largest of a set of 3. The other 2 are beginning to warp also.

Light weight and SWMBO likes cutting on them, but obviously they have issues.
It's still interesting that they all just started warping at the same time.

There's more humidity now than during the winter, which is when they were
bought. I'm going to blame it on that.

The cause is because of one circumstance: one side has cupped or one side has expanded. With the board that is least used, either place it in the sun or dampen as noted above. If for some reason the "fix" totally fails, ruining the board, you'll still have 2 other boards for usage.

Sonny
Old June 10th 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 12:26 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Are they usually used with the same side up? And then perhaps left
sitting on a wet countertop? Or stored in a cabinet near the oven?

Old June 11th 20, 01:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

I'd try treating it as if it's wood and see what happens...

When you wash it, wash both sides.
Then stand it on edge until it’s dry.

That process evens out the moisture on both sides and the boards stay quite
flat... any minor undulations or cupping are certainly not perceptible in
use.

I also soak the maple end grain boards I make with mineral oil occasionally.
I keep putting it on until it lays on the surface and doesn't soak in. Then
I wipe off the excess and let it dry on edge. There is usually some weeping
so I sit it on paper towels. Doing this keeps water from soaking into the
grain as deep as it would if it were untreated wood.

Old June 11th 20, 02:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 12:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

I would try a few methods.

First, sand it to remove any finish.

!) a Wet towel/cloth over the board and iron it or some other steam option.

2) Wet towel/cloth on board and lay in the sun.

3) Soak the entire thing in water, remove, lay something heavy on it to
flatten and let dry.

Once flattened, refinish it to seal it.

Old June 11th 20, 03:15 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe

Since all are affected, were the boards together where water could
drip on them from above (leak of some kind)?

Together, yes; Leak, no.

Leaned against the toaster?

No

Old June 11th 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/10/2020 12:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

Easy to do. Heat a rectangular pan of water t0 117 to 119 degrees.
Face the short end of the pan north if you do it before 6 PM, south
after 6 PM. Lay the board in the water for 8 1/5 minutes, basting
constantly.

Remove board from the pan and place it in the garage or driveway. convex
side up, and park the car with left front wheel on it for three days.
Repeat as needed.
Old June 11th 20, 03:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:13:21 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

[...]

I've found that the best way to get mineral oil absorbed deep into the
wood grain is to heat the wood up with a paint stripping gun (used
gently - don't scortch) coat it with oil, and allow to cool. The heat
drives much moisture and air out, and as it cools the oil is drawn
into the grain.

I've done this in situ with a maple butcheblock kitchen counter.

Joe Gwinn
Old June 11th 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:51:02 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

My own suspicion is that the "top" side absorbed moisture from
what was being cut on it, or from being wiped down. Or an increase in
humidity and the damp air was not able to get to the "bottom".
Regardless one side ("the top") was able to absorb more than the other
resulting in differential expansion.
My recommendation would be to wet the bottom, or just turn it
over. In the future, you might want to store them so that there is
even air flow on both sides, so that both sides get to absorb / dry
"evenly".

Other options for fixing it might include wetting it down, and
then putting a cast iron pot on the bow to force it down. Might.
--
pyotr filipivich
Old June 12th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:57:25 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:51:02 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

My own suspicion is that the "top" side absorbed moisture from
what was being cut on it, or from being wiped down. Or an increase in
humidity and the damp air was not able to get to the "bottom".
Regardless one side ("the top") was able to absorb more than the other
resulting in differential expansion.

While I'm not disagreeing, it just seems strange that the 3 boards in the
set all warped at the same time. As far as SWMBO and I can recall, they were
flat one day, warped the next. The one in the image is the largest. You can
see by the amount of warp that it's not something that could have sneaked
up on us. We would have noticed it way before it got that bad.

My recommendation would be to wet the bottom, or just turn it
over. In the future, you might want to store them so that there is
even air flow on both sides, so that both sides get to absorb / dry
"evenly".

They are stored on end in this, so there is lots of air flow:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCPJ0PM

Other options for fixing it might include wetting it down, and
then putting a cast iron pot on the bow to force it down. Might.

After our vacation, I'll give some things a try. I have huge poundage of steel
plates. Flattening it, even dry, won't be an issue. Maybe I'll just bolt it to
a 10 pound plate. ;-)

Flattened Sofa Seat Cushions? Jeff Wisnia[_9_] Home Repair 5 February 15th 15 10:27 AM
Warped Chess Board suzyq4 Woodturning 5 November 27th 12 10:23 AM
Bamboo Cutting Boards? trvlnmny Woodworking 13 January 20th 11 03:00 AM
Warped board gary Woodworking 3 January 20th 07 04:05 AM
Front door warped (from heat or rain) and can't lock it Maimai UK diy 2 July 23rd 06 10:24 AM