Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Metalwork - Rusty Weather Vane - Remove, Then Prevent Rust

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:58:29 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Derby, there is a polymer that converts rust to an epoxy like substance. Car restorers and repair shops know about it. I first ran across it in the late 80's. Now, it would be nice if I could tell you the trade name, but the memory files are rather spotty back that far. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 8:15:47 AM UTC-4, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

The rust is really just surface rust. I don't know if there is even enough to "convert". Besides, I
think it would come out very uneven, consider that the rust is uneven and the owner wants the
bare (but protected) metal to show.

I think whatever clear coating is on there should come off too since it obviously isn't providing
any protection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:58:29 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Have it sand blasted, using walnut shell or similar blasting medium. I've had several small items sand blasted for $10-$20 each. Those blasting guys know how to take care of delicate items, if/when need be.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

prep:
https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks...6bff9736a6176a

protect:
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-Clear-C...oxy+Clear+Coat

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 23:58:26 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Naval jelly? (AKA Phosphoric Acid (AKA Coke)) '
Then coat with clear something or other (at least every year or two).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 07:19:36 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:58:29 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Have it sand blasted, using walnut shell or similar blasting medium. I've had several small items sand blasted for $10-$20 each. Those blasting guys know how to take care of delicate items, if/when need be.

Another option, use a 3M ROLOC disk in whatever you've got. Ideally
it's a die grinder but you can chuck in a Rotozip or a router motor or
whatever you've got that will take a 1/4 inch shaft and can be
adjusted to run below 20,000 RPM. It will work in a drill but it's
happier if it's running faster.

National Auto Parts has a nice little starter set for around (IIRC) 12
bucks that usually hangs in the paint section. Tell the person behind
the counter that you want some ROLOCs and if he or she isn't
completely new on the job they'll know what you're talking about.

There will typically be some fine residue left--it's just dust, clean
it off with whatever you like to use for paint prep.

Personally I wouldn't go with a clear coat--clear coat doesn't have
any UV resistance to speak of, even if it says it does, and any of it
is going to break down after a while. Personally I'd give is a coat
of ZRC Cold Galvanizing (order it on Amazon--there's a similar
Rust-Oleum product that is not generally as well regarded) and then
paint it whatever color I liked--if you want it to have a metallic
appearance there are metallic paints in rattle cans.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 25 May 2020 05:41:05 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:
[...]

I'd say that the clear coating has worked, otherwise all of it
would be rusty. I suspect that the coating developer a small hole,
and the rust began there. You're options are to remove all the loose
coating, the rust, and then refinish. And inspect regularly, it can
be yearly, before the start of the rainy season, what ever.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Naval jelly? (AKA Phosphoric Acid (AKA Coke)) '
Then coat with clear something or other (at least every year or two).

Boeshield?

It won't remove rust. Though they say their rust remover will, sorta,
but not an better than steel wool and phosphoric acid. Boeshield does
a good job of covering things like table saw tables (I use it) but I
sure wouldn't use it on an exterior application like a weathervane.
This needs to be something intended for exterior use (UV exposure, and
all).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2020 1:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

I have mentioned this before. Wood glue, like TB III will remove
rust. Put a small amount on the rusty spot, let it set about a minute
and remove. Works like a charm when I get a glob of glue on my cast
iron TS top.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 1:50:22 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/25/2020 1:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

I have mentioned this before. Wood glue, like TB III will remove
rust. Put a small amount on the rusty spot, let it set about a minute
and remove. Works like a charm when I get a glob of glue on my cast
iron TS top.

I'll pass the tip along, but your table saw probably doesn't have any kind of
clear coat finish on it. I suspect that the issue with this object is a
combination of normal rusting and something to do with whatever kind of finish
is on the metal.

It was purchased at a crafts show. I wonder if my friend has a receipt or a
business card from the vendor. I'm guessing he knows what he put on his metal
work and the best way to get the finish off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 05:41:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I think if he wants it "raw metal" with no rust I'd have it blasted
and spray it with cold galvanize.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:02:42 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

prep:
https://www.amazon.com/customerpicks...6bff9736a6176a

I have a number of those items. I'd be worried about scratching the surface
or burnishing some areas and leaving different colored spots.

protect:
https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-Clear-C...oxy+Clear+Coat

That list of over 1000 items would need to be narrowed down to epoxy that is
made to handle all sorts of weather, temps from below 0 to over 100, UV safe, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll lend him my box of crushed walnut shells. I'd want them all back though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 12:36:26 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

If it developed a hole, then it didn't work.

You're options are to remove all the loose
coating, the rust, and then refinish.

Uh, yeah. That was pretty much the idea behind my post. I know what needs to be
done. I'm looking for suggestions on the best methods and products for actually
doing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 25 May 2020 13:10:53 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I think whatever clear coating is on there should come off too since it obviously isn't providing
any protection.

I'd say that the clear coating has worked, otherwise all of it
would be rusty. I suspect that the coating developer a small hole,
and the rust began there.

If it developed a hole, then it didn't work.

If you expect anything to work until the end of time, well, the
only thing that does that is prayer, and the Good Lord. After that,
"there will be a time when it is not." B-)

Things wear out in this vale of tears.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 12:52:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

On organic coating will really work any better than automobile paint.
Sandblast it, then have it painted by an auro body painter.

Or, sandblast it and have it electroplated with zinc. One canl then
have it painted.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 5:31:45 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
DerbyDad03 on Mon, 25 May 2020 13:10:53 -0700
(PDT) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

I think whatever clear coating is on there should come off too since it obviously isn't providing
any protection.

I'd say that the clear coating has worked, otherwise all of it
would be rusty. I suspect that the coating developer a small hole,
and the rust began there.

If it developed a hole, then it didn't work.

If you expect anything to work until the end of time, well, the
only thing that does that is prayer, and the Good Lord.

The weather vane was purchased in late March 2020, at one of the last crafts
events held this year. (Only 100 people allowed on the grounds at any given time)

The unit has been outside for barley 2 months, not factoring in how long
or where the craftsman himself stored it.

"The end of time" is a bit of a stretch expectations-wise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 2:58:29 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Media blast then powder coat.

..02

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 2:58:29 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Before and after.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

My friend used 1 part WD-40, 1 Part #1 steel wool and 5 parts elbow grease.

He's coated it with WD-40 for the time being, but has no expectations that
it's not going to rust again very soon. Still looking for a fairly long
lasting clear coat to help maintain that bare metal look.

He's seen the strap hinges on my trailer which I painted with Cold Galvanizing spray compound. That's not the look he's after.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 on Mon, 25 May 2020 15:56:31 -0700
[...]

Wow. That shows a failure of some sort. Choice of materials,
application, conditions.

"The end of time" is a bit of a stretch expectations-wise.

Yep.

Although I've been in companies which seem to expect to have it
possible that nothing ever will go wrong. Maybe I'm old, cynical, and
pessimistic, but planning for the worst helps to keep it from
happening.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 May 2020 17:58:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Eastwood.com Patina preserver. Used by the rat-rod guys and the
"barn find preservers" it is a clearcoat DESIGNED to go on bare metal.
Most clear coats have a VERY LIMITED lifespan on bare metal - powder
coat included
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2020 2:52 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If it is rusting I doubt there is a remaining finish.

It was purchased at a crafts show. I wonder if my friend has a receipt or a
business card from the vendor. I'm guessing he knows what he put on his metal
work and the best way to get the finish off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in
:

Derby, there is a polymer that converts rust to an epoxy like
substance. Car restorers and repair shops know about it. I first ran
across it in the late 80's. Now, it would be nice if I could tell you
the trade name, but the memory files are rather spotty back that far.
;-)

Does it contain Phosphoric Acid?

I think that's the key ingredient in many rust removal/conversion products.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The website says "protection last 12 months" which I'm sure is acceptable.

He said that the WD-40 and #1 steel wool cleaning was not that much work
and that was with the amount of rust you see in the image I linked to. If
it's caught quickly each year, cleaning and re-coating should be an easy
task.

I'll pass the tip along. Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2020 2:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Asking for a friend...

The image below is part of a steel weather vane. As you can see, it's rusty and
getting worse. My friend wants to remove the rust then clear coat the piece to
prevent the rust from coming back.

You can't really tell from the image, but there appears to already be some type
of (uneven) clear coat on the piece already.

What's the process to remove the rust and existing coating without damaging the
metal and what's the proper product to prevent the rust from coming back?

https://i.imgur.com/bk3eTz5.jpg

Thanks!

Do you just want clear coat over plain steel? Wire brush, sanding will
get you their quickly. Many clear finishes that would work.

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

Chrome? Silver metallic? It's already got the big fins. ;-)

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

Chrome? Silver metallic? It's already got the big fins. ;-)

Per Monsieur Snyder, I'm suggesting this to the owner:

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pa...r-aerosol.html

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

If it was me I'd replace the steel with some bare aluminum and be done with it.

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

The brings to mind American Pickers. They often buy stuff that is rusty
and leave it that way as many people like the patina. Cleaning it up
can destroy the value to others.

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

Chrome? Silver metallic? It's already got the big fins. ;-)

+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-wFTUhpT4

LOL

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

If it was me I'd replace the steel with some bare aluminum and be done with it.

Or just remake the thing in stainless.

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

If it was me I'd replace the steel with some bare aluminum and be done with it.

Brushed stainless

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the steel with aluminium.

Once the steel is removed, all that would be left is the empty spaces.
How would he find them to put back in the aluminum?

#1 steel wool and WD-40 took care of the rust.

https://i.imgur.com/kUrTXJq.jpg

OTOH, if yu want something that looks very attractive I'd paint it with
the guidance of someone more artistic than me, then clear coat it.
Metal painst and auto paints will hold up for many years.

My friend likes the look the bare metal.

If it was me I'd replace the steel with some bare aluminum and be done with it.

Brushed stainless

I'm still trying to figure out how to replace the steel with aluminium.

Once the steel is removed, all that would be left is the empty spaces.
How would he find them to put back in the aluminum?

You put them back in before you take the old ones out! Sheesh, these
people!