Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what's a 12 inch jointer worth ;-)

.... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:55:21 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

550-600V? A nickel a pound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 3:51:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

Hub, you in the USA? If so, that Canadian electricity might not work, here.
Might need some southern hemisphere electricity to run it!!

I'd suppose it's in working order. For a Canadian, maybe $500 to $750 tops. I'd want all the wiring, switches and boxes, also. If it has other accessories, then possibly $1000, depending on the accessories.

It's an auction. bid low and see what happens. You can always walk away.

Another view here with the floor cleaned up - https://www.jantziauctions.net/16

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 5:36:32 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 3:51:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

Hub, you in the USA? If so, that Canadian electricity might not work, here.
Might need some southern hemisphere electricity to run it!!

I'd suppose it's in working order. For a Canadian, maybe $500 to $750 tops. I'd want all the wiring, switches and boxes, also. If it has other accessories, then possibly $1000, depending on the accessories.

It's an auction. bid low and see what happens. You can always walk away.

Another view here with the floor cleaned up - https://www.jantziauctions.net/16

Sonny

Then again, you might can get it for not much money, at all. Sale ends tomorrow. Nine bids so for and top bid is $40 Canadian. Compared to the bidding on the band saw, router & table, table saw and drill press, no one really wants the jointer.
https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...nline-auction/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 18:13:14 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:55:21 -0400,
wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

550-600V? A nickel a pound.

Don't figure a 230 volt motor will spin it ?
.... I'm not an interested bidder - just posted
here for a chuckle.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 15:36:29 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 3:51:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

Hub, you in the USA? If so, that Canadian electricity might not work, here.
Might need some southern hemisphere electricity to run it!!

I'd suppose it's in working order. For a Canadian, maybe $500 to $750 tops.
I'd want all the wiring, switches and boxes, also.
If it has other accessories, then possibly $1000, depending on the accessories.
It's an auction. bid low and see what happens. You can always walk away.
Another view here with the floor cleaned up - https://www.jantziauctions.net/16
Sonny

I'm not interested in owning it - just posted here for a chuckle.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

550-600V? A nickel a pound.

Don't figure a 230 volt motor will spin it ?
... I'm not an interested bidder - just posted
here for a chuckle.

And how big is this motor? How big is the service needed? I still
stand by a nickel a pound, minus a month of chiropractor's care.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 20:49:56 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:55:21 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

So you in?

I might put in a bid on a couple small items -
but not the jointer.
The auction is not far from me.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:55:21 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

... it's not a Craftsman ...
https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr
John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any
desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though -
where a person can check-out the interesting stuff ....
Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 7:52:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.
John T.

Possibly. Being belt drive would help that effort. If it was direct drive, then probably not.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2020 7:56 AM, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...
https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr
John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any
desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though -
where a person can check-out the interesting stuff ....
Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.

I'd love to have something of the sort again...actually, never owned one
but had free access to 16" Crescent for years in friend's shop only a
short hop from home...

The last picture that shows back side with the hand crank shows the
drive belts shroud.

You'd want at least a 5HP motor and bigger would be better, but looks to
me as would be doable. A single phase of ample HP might not fit in the
location underneath, but you wouldn't have to mount it there.

If you have 3PH available even if have to swap out for more common
voltage, motors are available pretty reasonably as there's a lot of
similar equipment repurposed/converted so the 3PH motors are around.

I don't know the particular machine/manufacturer, but it'll weigh a ton
or more but other than the logistics would be a dream to have it or a
Crescent or the like...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Haven't heard from FrozenNorth in a long while. Might anyone have his contact. He'a in Toronto and, if I recall correctly, he wanted a 12" jointer.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 May 2020 08:56:16 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...
https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr
John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any
desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though -
where a person can check-out the interesting stuff ....
Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.
John T.

For sure - and some of our "dave martin" friends up
Wallenstein/Yatton/Linwood way would run it on a jackshaft off a
diesel too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 May 2020 13:14:22 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2020 08:56:16 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...
https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr
John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any
desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though -
where a person can check-out the interesting stuff ....
Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.
John T.

For sure - and some of our "dave martin" friends up
Wallenstein/Yatton/Linwood way would run it on a jackshaft off a
diesel too.

There's whats-left of a '29 Durant in the fenceline back home -
was used to power a buzz-saw when I was a kid.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :
*snip*

You'd want at least a 5HP motor and bigger would be better, but looks to
me as would be doable. A single phase of ample HP might not fit in the
location underneath, but you wouldn't have to mount it there.

*snip*

That big of motor kinda makes me wonder about a gas-powered engine. Pull
the snow blower motor off during the spring and make chips. As a bonus,
the motor hasn't sat for the last several months with nothing to do.

Maybe a good idea for one of those barn style shops with lots of space.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

When my dad was a youngster their tractor was an old Buick touring
car with a Leyland truck transmission and rear axle grafted on the
back with an old Star engine across the back for ballast and belt
power (A star was a 4 cyl Durant)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Those were the days when you could easily make such a frankenvehicle.
Unibodys have spoiled a lot of fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2020 6:56 AM, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...
https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr
John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any
desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though -
where a person can check-out the interesting stuff ....
Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.

if, if, if ... It could be powered by squirrels on a treadmill,
if you got enough of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You can still make a "frankentruck" or "frankenjeep" and even
Unibofies can be "frankensteined" using structural steel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 May 2020 18:06:33 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

On 5/20/2020 6:56 AM, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...
https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr
John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

I just posted it here for a chuckle - I certainly do not have any
desire to own such a machine. I do miss the live auctions, though -
where a person can check-out the interesting stuff ....
Do you think this could be easily re-powered with a large
230 volt motor ? ... again - just curious.

if, if, if ... It could be powered by squirrels on a treadmill,
if you got enough of them.

But you got to feed the damn tree rats.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 10:36:21 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:55:21 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

It sold for $310 CAN, still a good price I think.
https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...nline-auction/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 May 2020 06:13:05 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...nline-auction/

I'll let you know if I see it going down the road
... behind a team, on a horse wagon .. :-)
My $ 5. bid on the Veritas scrapers & burnisher didn't hold up.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2020 8:13 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 10:36:21 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 19 May 2020 16:55:21 -0400, wrote:

... it's not a Craftsman ...

https://tinyurl.com/ycrqznrr

John T.

A heck of a lot more than $40
Busy bee about $4000 new
About $6000 for a new "hammer" brand
If you've got the 550 3 phase power it would be a steal for $250 and
within easy pick-up distance for you.

It sold for $310 CAN, still a good price I think.
https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...nline-auction/

Indeed. Particularly if one already has three-phase available...

I moved the PM66 planer but didn't hook up for years when came back to
farm and tried to be satisfied w/ the Rockwell/Delta Model 13. But the
5" width difference and extra power became so frustrating bought the
converter and wire up 3PH circuit for it...never regretted the
additional outlay.

Would be the same sort of thing for a puppy of this sort...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:29:22 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

Replacing the motor with single phase is likely doable for that jointer.

Frozzy (FrozenNorth) hasn't posted since 2013. I found an email address for him and sent a note. Haven't gotten a response. Hope he's okay.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Frozzy (FrozenNorth) hasn't posted since 2013.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!activity/rec.woodworking/T33P5v_OCwAJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 12:56:42 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Frozzy (FrozenNorth) hasn't posted since 2013.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!activity/rec.woodworking/T33P5v_OCwAJ

Sonny --- faulty search, apparently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2020 10:48 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 10:29:22 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 5/22/2020 8:13 AM, Sonny wrote:

It sold for $310 CAN, still a good price I think.
https://jantziauctions.hibid.com/cat...nline-auction/

Indeed. Particularly if one already has three-phase available...

I moved the PM66 planer but didn't hook up for years when came back to
farm and tried to be satisfied w/ the Rockwell/Delta Model 13. But the
5" width difference and extra power became so frustrating bought the
converter and wire up 3PH circuit for it...never regretted the
additional outlay.

Would be the same sort of thing for a puppy of this sort...

Replacing the motor with single phase is likely doable for that jointer.

That's the point at which the tradeoff between what need to supply the
(much) larger current draw of the 1PH vs 3PH comes into play in making
the decision as well.

For me, pulling that the length of the barn to where wanted the planer
was much more trouble than being able to tap into the subpanel already
near the area.

We had had a small feed mill there that had all the motor controls still
there for it (all single phase, unfortunately; we don't have a 3PH tap
from the co-op and to drop one of those would have required a re-do of
the whole pole and pretty good fee) so had all the service needed for
the current draw of the converter at the box but could then just run #10
for the planer itself instead of #4 or #6. Much easier to work with!