DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rattle can lacquer (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/649107-rattle-can-lacquer.html)

swalker May 11th 20 06:39 PM

Rattle can lacquer

Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

Scott Lurndal May 11th 20 06:56 PM

Rattle can lacquer

swalker writes:

Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

Read the can. If it doesn't say outright, call the toll free
number on the can and they'll tell you the compatability with
other finishes.

swalker May 11th 20 09:04 PM

Rattle can lacquer

On Mon, 11 May 2020 17:56:51 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

swalker writes:

Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

Read the can. If it doesn't say outright, call the toll free
number on the can and they'll tell you the compatability with
other finishes.

Guess I need to go buy a can. Hate to go to stores these days.

dpb[_3_] May 11th 20 09:15 PM

Rattle can lacquer

wrote:

swalker writes:

Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

Read the can. If it doesn't say outright, call the toll free
number on the can and they'll tell you the compatability with
other finishes.

Guess I need to go buy a can. Hate to go to stores these days.

Undoubtedly you can find the label online...

I suspect it will dissolve any poly, though.

But, I've never tried it--never thought of doing so.

Rubbing out/polishing would be the first thing to try I'd think.

DerbyDad03 May 11th 20 11:13 PM

Rattle can lacquer

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:39:40 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

This can be found here, regarding Deft Clear Lacquer Spray:

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/df10009/

"Do not apply Clear Wood Finish over varnishes, enamels (or any other
product that dries by oxidation); lifting or wrinkling may result."

I'm no finishing expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm pretty
sure that makes the answer to your question a "No".

swalker May 11th 20 11:43 PM

Rattle can lacquer

On Mon, 11 May 2020 15:13:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:39:40 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

This can be found here, regarding Deft Clear Lacquer Spray:

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/df10009/

"Do not apply Clear Wood Finish over varnishes, enamels (or any other
product that dries by oxidation); lifting or wrinkling may result."

I'm no finishing expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm pretty
sure that makes the answer to your question a "No".

Thanks.

My thought was that since poly can be cleaned up by mineral spirits
but lacquer is cleaned using lacquer thinner that they might be
compatible.

Probably good idea I checked with the list.

Back to the work bench.

Clare Snyder May 12th 20 01:45 AM

Rattle can lacquer

wrote:

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:39:40 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

This can be found here, regarding Deft Clear Lacquer Spray:

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/df10009/

"Do not apply Clear Wood Finish over varnishes, enamels (or any other
product that dries by oxidation); lifting or wrinkling may result."

I'm no finishing expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm pretty
sure that makes the answer to your question a "No".

If the clear is laquer it ONLY goes over laquer. A clear poly should
work though.

Clare Snyder May 12th 20 01:47 AM

Rattle can lacquer

wrote:

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:39:40 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:
Can rattle can lacquer be successfully sprayed over wipe on poly?

Need a little more shine.

This can be found here, regarding Deft Clear Lacquer Spray:

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/df10009/

"Do not apply Clear Wood Finish over varnishes, enamels (or any other
product that dries by oxidation); lifting or wrinkling may result."

I'm no finishing expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm pretty
sure that makes the answer to your question a "No".

Thanks.

My thought was that since poly can be cleaned up by mineral spirits
but lacquer is cleaned using lacquer thinner that they might be
compatible.

Probably good idea I checked with the list.

Back to the work bench.

Laquer is "hotter" than poly. Poly over laquer could possibly work.
laquer over poly is more likely to fail. Laquer over WELL CURED poly
could possibly be safe.