Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue Knowledge

As woodworkers, we all have plenty of experience with glue. Here is a
video I stumbled over that is somewhat entertaining, and gives you
something to do while the Government has you bent over clenching your
buttocks and wringing your hands over the cold virus.

My personal experience with glue is long and extensive, and I can say
with confidence that my experiences have (almost) always exceeded my
expectations.

This video has one overwhelming flaw which I'll keep to myself,
wondering who else will notice, or rather who won't notice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vIszsybR4M
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 9:40:58 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
As woodworkers, we all have plenty of experience with glue. Here is a
video I stumbled over that is somewhat entertaining, and gives you
something to do while the Government has you bent over clenching your
buttocks and wringing your hands over the cold virus.

My personal experience with glue is long and extensive, and I can say
with confidence that my experiences have (almost) always exceeded my
expectations.

This video has one overwhelming flaw which I'll keep to myself,
wondering who else will notice, or rather who won't notice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vIszsybR4M
--
Jack

I didn't watch to the finale, but it appears the center of gravity of the load was not consistent. Particularly evident during the epoxy/miter test...
Posted to rec.woodworking

The plywood is coming apart. The glue is good
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2020 4:35 AM, wrote:
[...]

On that test, she had I believe 75 lbs on the joint, but the text in the
video said 409 lbs. She was saying the weight correctly, but the text
was grossly off by a lot. The tests were interesting anyway,and while
not scientifically accurate, close enough for government work...

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2020 9:29 AM, Mark H wrote:
The plywood is coming apart. The glue is good

This was accounted for in the video, and all glues didn't past muster.
She also tested solid wood. I was surprised by the mitered joints and
how they held up, particularly with epoxy.

Also surprised by how pre-gluing or sizing the edge grain miter joints
didn't help at all. I had read sizing mitered picture frames would
greatly strengthen the joints, and was planning on doing that the next
time I make picture frames even though I have a 100% success rate w/o
doing that. Typically, I just glue them and clamp them with my pin nailer.

--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:39:35 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 4/28/2020 4:35 AM, wrote:
[...]

I think the text was the calculated load on the joint itself - taking
into account the mechanicaladvantage of the moment arm - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 10:52:03 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 4/28/2020 9:29 AM, Mark H wrote:
The plywood is coming apart. The glue is good

This was accounted for in the video, and all glues didn't past muster.
She also tested solid wood. I was surprised by the mitered joints and
how they held up, particularly with epoxy.

Also surprised by how pre-gluing or sizing the edge grain miter joints
didn't help at all. I had read sizing mitered picture frames would
greatly strengthen the joints, and was planning on doing that the next
time I make picture frames even though I have a 100% success rate w/o
doing that. Typically, I just glue them and clamp them with my pin nailer.

The diluted glue used for "priming" the joint left a low strength
"boundary" layer separating the full strength glue from the wood
fibers. PERHAPS letting the prime coat cure before applying the full
strength glue and assemblingthe joint MAY have improved the results
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2020 1:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I think you may be right on that.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 17:58:55 -0400, Jack wrote:

[...]

Back in the hot hide glue days priming was VERY common. You filled the
end grain, in particular, with glue and let it set - on both surfaces
- then added a "filling" to the sandwich and assembled the joint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2020 12:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Typically glues does not adhere well to cured glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-g3efGa3sI