Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DeVilbiss Air Compressors - Are They Any Good?

I've started looking for a small quiet compressor for light use in my garage- for car tires, blowing,nail guns ect. We just moved into a townhouse so low decibels is a high priority. Some online liked the California Air Tool CAT 2010A at $185 ,2 gallon tank and 2.2 cfm@90 psi with about 65 decibels. But then other reviews claimed theirs leaked badly they sent it back and the 2nd one leaked too.Mixed reviews all over. Is Cal Air Tool any good? Is Devilbiss better? Also quiet?

Thanks, Buffalo Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 17:30:03 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2020 12:13:05 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:47 PM, wrote:
I've started looking for a small quiet compressor for light use in my garage- for car tires, blowing,nail guns ect. We just moved into a townhouse so low decibels is a high priority. Some online liked the California Air Tool CAT 2010A at $185 ,2 gallon tank and 2.2 cfm@90 psi with about 65 decibels. But then other reviews claimed theirs leaked badly they sent it back and the 2nd one leaked too.Mixed reviews all over. Is Cal Air Tool any good? Is Devilbiss better? Also quiet?

Thanks, Buffalo Bob

There are only a few manufacturers of air compressors. Most are made by
the same company and labeled accordingly.

If the compressor has the features you are looing for and has a
comparable warranty it should be OK.

Typically cast iron and oil lubricated units will last the longest. A
magnet will tell you if it is aluminum or iron.

Used to be DeVilbis, Ingersol Rand and Copeland were top of the heap
- a commercial DeVilbis is still a good compressor. SO is an IR.
Sanborn makes all their own components - and appear to be pretty good.
Copeland is now almost exclusively in the refrigeration market now.

Lots of REALLY CRAPPY compressors on the market

I have a bottom of the line Harbor Freight compressor, mostly used for
cleaning small things, blowing out water lines and a pin/staple nail
gun. Although the compressor has rubber mounts, the hard copper line
from compressor to tank is solidly attached to the tank and is too
short to have a coil or two for handling vibration. The copper
finally gave way in an obvious stress fracture. Think I'll just build
up a lip of solder on each of the broken ends and use some plasctic
air line and hose clamps to provide the needed vibration isolation
when I repair it. The plastic air line is cheap and 6-8 inches of it
would make a nice vibration isolator. If the plastic line fails in
the future, that would be a 10 minute repair.

Yes, it's loud to be so small.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

I would likely replace it with a longer piece of copper tube with a
coil in it, and I would anneal the tube before installing it. Either
that or replace it with a copper/nickel alloy line if the right sise
was readilly available

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

And a good reason to stick with cast iron oil lubricated.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

Actually mine is cast iron sleave and oil lubricated if I remember
correctly. Just like most industrial small engines over the last
several decades.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

The regulator knob on my old HF hot dog compressor stripped out so there
was no way to regulate the output. I put it on CL Free and included a
link to the part. Probably got 10 calls in the first hour, before I pulled
the ad. The first guy that called came over and took it away.

I had already found a brand new Porter Cable 6 gal pancake, 3 tool combo
on CL for $175 (sells for ~$250). Offered the guy $150 and loaded it in
the van. (The guy's tenant had bought it, then got transferred out of town
and couldn't take it with him. The seller basically wanted the big box out
of his garage.)

My son bought me a 50' hose reel for the garage, so I ran PEX from the
compressor to the hose reel and down into the basement shop. The
compressor lives in the garage, not like the old HF one that I used to
carry around. When I replaced all the trim on the first floor last
year, the only thing in the house was a lot of hose and the nail guns. So
much quieter than having the compressor in the same room.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/9/2020 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

When I started doing the hardwood flooring in my house I had a hotdog
compressor that I had "inherited". It overheated and died about 3
hours in so I ran the hose from the compressor in the garage. A lot
quieter for sure and I didn't miss the hot smell at all either.

The 2 HP unit on a 100 lb propane tank had no trouble keeping up
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Clare Snyder, ariachris56 wrote:
jj

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...od-823874-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:44:02 +0000, ariachris56
m wrote:

replying to Clare Snyder, ariachris56 wrote:
jj

Without any context (or even a reply) you're wasting all of our time.
Of course anything coming from the homemoaners club is a waste of time
but you knew that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to Clare Snyder, ariachris56 wrote:
jj

Without any context (or even a reply) you're wasting all of our time.
Of course anything coming from the homemoaners club is a waste of time
but you knew that.

Anybody know how to spell shill?
Posted to rec.woodworking

m wrote:

replying to Clare Snyder, ariachris56 wrote:
jj

Without any context (or even a reply) you're wasting all of our time.
Of course anything coming from the homemoaners club is a waste of time
but you knew that.

Anybody know how to spell shill?

If ignorance is truly bliss, the denizens of the "homemoaner's club"
must be the happiest people on the planet!

DeVilbiss spray gun Nirodac Woodworking 11 March 31st 07 02:25 AM
DeVilbiss recall: affects compressors and pwr washers Ron T. Woodworking 2 January 18th 07 06:15 AM
Old Air Compressors - Are They Better? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 8 April 8th 05 02:06 AM
Pressure Washer: Karcher or Devilbiss bama Home Ownership 1 March 7th 05 12:08 AM
DeVilbiss settlement??? Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 7 December 31st 04 02:06 AM