Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe tread

Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hawk writes:
Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?

Sometimes they even differ between models of the same brand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/2020 9:51 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

Hawk writes:
Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?

Sometimes they even differ between models of the same brand.

I just discovered there are a few different sizes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hawk writes:
Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?

Sometimes they even differ between models of the same brand.

I just discovered there are a few different sizes.

There are three main lathe threads used currently. Woodturning lathes.

1" x 8 TPI (one inch diameter and 8 threads per inch)
1.25" x 8 TPI (one and a quarter diameter and 8 threads per inch)
M33 x 3.5 (metric, 33mm diameter, 3.5 threads per cm)

3/4" x 16 TPI and 1.5" x 6 TPI are also seen somewhat commonly.

1x8 is on current mini lathes and other smaller, medium sized lathes. 1.25 and M33 is on big huge full sized and some medium lathes. Not sure what the smaller metric, European lathes use? Doubt they use the big M33. And smaller 1x8 is Imperial threading, not metric. In the long ago past, or just a couple decades ago, there were many, many different threads used on lathes. So if you have a 1950s lathe for instance, you will have to measure the spindle threads and figure out what threading it has. And look for a spindle adaptor to fit. Chucks for lathes usually have separate spindle adaptors so you can put a new adaptor into the chuck and use it on different lathes. No need to buy a new chuck when you change lathes with different spindle threading.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hawk writes:
[...]

Thank you.

I'm making a disk sander for my lathe and was contemplating purchasing a
face plate or a spindle tap to make a face plate. I decided on a spindle
tap and make several disks for varying grits. Then I can just change the
disk instead of the paper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 8:47:23 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?

Since you asked this question, I assume you are fairly new to turning. The other measurement that is both important and varies is the taper on the inside of the headstock and tailstock. Its that slight taper that holds your drive center in the headstock and the live center in the tailstock.

MOST tapers are a #2 Morris taper, though you will run into some lathes with a #1 and some, thankfully very few, that have a #2 on the headstock and a #1 on the tailstock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2020 8:27 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 8:47:23 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
Are the spindle threads the same on all lathes or do they differ by brand?

Since you asked this question, I assume you are fairly new to turning. The other measurement that is both important and varies is the taper on the inside of the headstock and tailstock. Its that slight taper that holds your drive center in the headstock and the live center in the tailstock.

MOST tapers are a #2 Morris taper, though you will run into some lathes with a #1 and some, thankfully very few, that have a #2 on the headstock and a #1 on the tailstock.

I found video explaining that detail.

Thank you

Slate tile staircase. Riser over tread or tread over riser. Oughtsix Home Repair 3 October 10th 06 07:55 PM
Tread Mill Motor for Lathe? WConner Woodturning 8 January 21st 06 02:36 PM
Loudspeaker cabinets. (From Monster Cable tread) Robatoy Woodworking 7 January 12th 05 03:37 AM
Tread LOC Neil Hodgkins UK diy 0 December 8th 04 09:31 AM
Repair/Replace Stair Tread Larry Home Repair 4 May 2nd 04 11:45 AM