Posted to rec.woodworking

Default finish for a shelf back of the sink?

Greetings

Planning some "hunnydews" - one is to put a shelf behind the sink,
over the backslash, for holding scrubbies, dish soap and the like.
Wife is concerned about wood getting all "funky" (not her term). I'm
thinking that either spar varnish or one of the polyurethane would
work to prevent water from soaking into the boards.

What sayeth the hive mind?
--
pyotr filipivich
If the world was flat - by now cats would have knocked everything off the edge.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greetings

Planning some "hunnydews" - one is to put a shelf behind the sink,
over the backslash, for holding scrubbies, dish soap and the like.
Wife is concerned about wood getting all "funky" (not her term). I'm
thinking that either spar varnish or one of the polyurethane would
work to prevent water from soaking into the boards.

What sayeth the hive mind?

What's the counter top material? This is a good place for a small piece
of Corian or the like.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 7:53:13 PM UTC-6, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

Planning some "hunnydews" - one is to put a shelf behind the sink,
over the backslash, for holding scrubbies, dish soap and the like.
Wife is concerned about wood getting all "funky" (not her term). I'm
thinking that either spar varnish or one of the polyurethane would
work to prevent water from soaking into the boards.

What sayeth the hive mind?

Well, corian or PVC would work, but so will spar varnished wood (of your choice or to match what may already be in the neighborhood). How big is the shelf to be? It will likely be well away from most splashes. I highly suspect any problems will be with soap and other cleansers.

Part of my home is old, built in 1934. The kitchen sink didn't have a back splash. I installed a 1X12X8' salvaged cypress board, finished with 3 coats of spar urethane 30 yrs ago. It's still in great shape.

As for as a shelf, it can always easily be replaced if it get messed up, especially if it's not too large.

I vote to match your present woodwork or trim. Matching the counter top is a good choice, also. Wood finished with spar urethane may be your easiest and cheapest option. Subsequently, replacing a small shelf is an easy and cheap option, also.

Optional: If you are a classy guy, want to impress the Misses, go to an architectural salvage place and get some nice corbels/brackets for the shelf supports.

(The next thread will be what's best for finishing corbels. LOL.) Just kidding.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny on Wed, 26 Feb 2020 20:33:06 -0800 (PST)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 7:53:13 PM UTC-6, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

Planning some "hunnydews" - one is to put a shelf behind the sink,
over the backslash, for holding scrubbies, dish soap and the like.
Wife is concerned about wood getting all "funky" (not her term). I'm
thinking that either spar varnish or one of the polyurethane would
work to prevent water from soaking into the boards.

What sayeth the hive mind?

Well, corian or PVC would work, but so will spar varnished wood (of your choice or to match what may already be in the neighborhood). How big is the shelf to be? It will likely be well away from most splashes. I highly suspect any problems will be with soap and other cleansers.

Part of my home is old, built in 1934.

Oh, you have one of the new houses. B-) (Ours was built 1905.
But was upgraded since then.)

The kitchen sink didn't have a back splash. I installed a 1X12X8' salvaged cypress board, finished with 3 coats of spar urethane 30 yrs ago. It's still in great shape.
As for as a shelf, it can always easily be replaced if it get messed up, especially if it's not too large.

I vote to match your present woodwork or trim. Matching the counter top is a good choice, also. Wood finished with spar urethane may be your easiest and cheapest option. Subsequently, replacing a small shelf is an easy and cheap option, also.

Optional: If you are a classy guy, want to impress the Misses, go to an architectural salvage place and get some nice corbels/brackets for the shelf supports.

(The next thread will be what's best for finishing corbels. LOL.) Just kidding.

LOL.

Sonny

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb on Wed, 26 Feb 2020 20:20:34 -0600 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
Greetings

Planning some "hunnydews" - one is to put a shelf behind the sink,
over the backslash, for holding scrubbies, dish soap and the like.
Wife is concerned about wood getting all "funky" (not her term). I'm
thinking that either spar varnish or one of the polyurethane would
work to prevent water from soaking into the boards.

What sayeth the hive mind?

What's the counter top material? This is a good place for a small piece
of Corian or the like.

Hmmm, I do have some of that. And some stone bits too.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/26/2020 10:33 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 7:53:13 PM UTC-6, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

Planning some "hunnydews" - one is to put a shelf behind the sink,
over the backslash, for holding scrubbies, dish soap and the like.
Wife is concerned about wood getting all "funky" (not her term). I'm
thinking that either spar varnish or one of the polyurethane would
work to prevent water from soaking into the boards.

What sayeth the hive mind?

Well, corian or PVC would work, but so will spar varnished wood (of your choice or to match what may already be in the neighborhood). How big is the shelf to be? It will likely be well away from most splashes. I highly suspect any problems will be with soap and other cleansers.

The latter is indeed the deal; depending upon just what is placed there.

It's a tossup imo altho if there's a leftover of the counter material
from sink cutout or the like it's then both at hand, in synch with
existing material and very abuse tolerant for the purpose...

There's not enough room under or around window over the sink in this
kitchen but wish were for precisely the purpose as the back edge of the
sink is always cluttered as is...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb on Thu, 27 Feb 2020 10:16:08 -0600 typed in
[...]

Any cutouts from the counter install went bye-bye years before she
bought the house.