Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Carved Wooden Threads

Working on half the nut, carving the threads is not easy, nor very successful, yet. It took me 30 minutes to carve the one thread. This was too slow of going.

First pic shows a pointed drill bit I used for gouging most of the waste. This bit's point was almost the valley profile needed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Scroll left for two more pics relative to this next paragraph.

It took 2.5 hours to carve the remainder of the threads. The screw aspect tracked well within the threads, but the threads were not nearly deep enough. Today I deepened the threads (another 1.5 hours work) and still they are not deep enough. It will take a good bit more time to get this half nut carved reasonably well.

I'll finish this half and reluctantly carve the other half, but I think I'll stick to making wheel barrow handles. This thread carving is turning out to be quite a chore. I'll definitely further consult with the machinist.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

And the mineral oil didn't soak in but about 5/8". You can see the penetration in the pics.... dark vs light wood. Probably needs to soak for a month, at least.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
And the mineral oil didn't soak in but about 5/8". You can see the penetration in the pics.... dark vs light wood. Probably needs to soak for a month, at least.

Sonny

Maybe thin it with mineral spirits would speed it up. Or put under
pressure (as in a closed container under pressure).

--
G Ross
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 7:18:23 PM UTC-5, G Ross wrote:
Sonny wrote:
And the mineral oil didn't soak in but about 5/8". You can see the penetration in the pics.... dark vs light wood. Probably needs to soak for a month, at least.

Sonny

Maybe thin it with mineral spirits would speed it up. Or put under
pressure (as in a closed container under pressure).

--
G Ross

Maybe use one of these?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1T6JKFpuvL.jpg

I completely disavow that recommendation and state that any use of said
suggestion (which I didn't post) legally triggers the hold harmless clause
of this agreement, a clause which will remain in full effect ad infinitum.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 19:18:15 -0500, G Ross wrote:

Sonny wrote:
And the mineral oil didn't soak in but about 5/8". You can see the penetration in the pics.... dark vs light wood. Probably needs to soak for a month, at least.

Sonny

Maybe thin it with mineral spirits would speed it up. Or put under
pressure (as in a closed container under pressure).

Maybe an old pressure cooker and some air fittings.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 6:18:23 PM UTC-6, G Ross wrote:

Maybe thin it with mineral spirits would speed it up.

Or maybe better yet, soak it in mineral spirits only. When working it, keep the surface moist with thinned mineral oil.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 7:10:14 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Truly a labor of love. Or stubbornness.

A little of both. I liked the caring. My biggest problem was standing for long periods. My legs and back can't handle the subsequent/eventual slouching posture.

I like to finish what I start, so I won't give up just yet. My aim is to fix that second work table.

Another issue: I made eight 1" square bench dogs for the table that is repaired, proud of the results. Alas, the dog holes aren't symmetrically cut and my dogs don't fit into all the holes. They were hand cut, but a poor job. I've started to trim them more neatly square, better fitting my dogs. I suppose the original cutter was an apprentice in training and/or didn't have a decent (paring?) chisel.

Sonny