DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood Protection (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/644646-wood-protection.html)

OtterGuy[_2_] February 16th 20 02:12 PM

Wood Protection

Oak desk.
Center drawer bottom is unprotected and dried out.

I Howard's Feed and Wax (carnuba wax, bee's wax and orange oil)
appropriate to rejuvenate ?

Suggestions please.

whit3rd February 17th 20 03:14 AM

Wood Protection

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 6:12:39 AM UTC-8, OtterGuy wrote:
Oak desk.
Center drawer bottom is unprotected and dried out.

I'd consider pulling a nail out and removing the bottom, it should slide out.
Replace with new wood, or sand down (to remove splinters) and
apply some shellac, or (if it's not one piece, and the glue joints are
open) rebuild it.

There's no real purpose to a drawer if things put into it fall out,
so if the wood is really deteriorated, just replace the panel
with whatever seems appropriate. That wouldn't be solid oak,
antique drawer bottoms are usually a secondary wood, middleaged
ones are plywood.