Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wheel Barrow Handles

Some time ago I mentioned having broken wheel barrow handles on two barrows. Finally got around to making new handles, coated with (thinned w/turpentine) BLO. Should be dry enough in a week or two to install.

I'll cannibalize one handle from one barrow and install on the other. The two new handles will be installed on the better barrow.

Not much else going on here.... except for Mardi Gras festivities in full swing.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Forgot the pic:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2020 1:25 AM, Sonny wrote:
Some time ago I mentioned having broken wheel barrow handles on two barrows. Finally got around to making new handles, coated with (thinned w/turpentine) BLO. Should be dry enough in a week or two to install.

I've used BLO and it dries fast? Straight Linseed oil, not so much.
Boiled dries fast I think.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 11:40:52 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

I've used BLO and it dries fast? Straight Linseed oil, not so much.
Boiled dries fast I think.

That's my understanding. I thinned it so it would penetrate, somewhat. The wood is ash. Rain predicted for all this week, so the handles will hang until clear weather.

Also on hold: Cut a 4X4X4 block in half for carving a wood nut, for the work table vise. The halves are soaking in mineral oil.... for a week.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 13:02:53 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 11:40:52 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:

I've used BLO and it dries fast? Straight Linseed oil, not so much.
Boiled dries fast I think.

That's my understanding. I thinned it so it would penetrate, somewhat. The wood is ash. Rain predicted for all this week, so the handles will hang until clear weather.

Also on hold: Cut a 4X4X4 block in half for carving a wood nut, for the work table vise. The halves are soaking in mineral oil.... for a week.

Sonny

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 3:14:40 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

A tip from Steve at the end of this page 2 of 2 http://showcase.netins.net/web/iabon...building1.html

is to place the block in sawdust to leach out excess oil. Off hand, I wouldn't have thought to use sawdust this way. This article doesn't state what kind of oil.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 5:55:32 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 3:14:40 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

A tip from Steve at the end of this page 2 of 2 http://showcase.netins.net/web/iabon...building1.html

is to place the block in sawdust to leach out excess oil. Off hand, I wouldn't have thought to use sawdust this way. This article doesn't state what kind of oil.

Sonny

More info, copied & pasted from another article. Identifies the oil only as "special".

Knight Toolworks planes feature 1/4€³ tool steel irons hardened to RC 62 a for a long-lasting cutting edge. They are soaked in special oil so that they will remain stable without movement (like most planes do in changing weather).

Maybe the mineral oil soaked wooden nut may be a bit more stable in changing weather conditions. Sounds logical, I suppose.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 15:55:29 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 3:14:40 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

A tip from Steve at the end of this page 2 of 2 http://showcase.netins.net/web/iabon...building1.html

is to place the block in sawdust to leach out excess oil. Off hand, I wouldn't have thought to use sawdust this way. This article doesn't state what kind of oil.

Soaking up oil is a common use for sawdust. Kitty litter works well
too. ...as cheap as possible (clay, not fancy "crystals").
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/16/2020 4:14 PM, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

Tons of different oils out there but imo it's silly to use oils designed
to lube metal parts as a finish.

As far as "special" finish, go to any store that sells finish products
and you will find a lot of products designed "specially" for you.
Trying to out design those that do it for a living and often for many
decades, and you won't likely break any new ground...

--
Jack
I Want To Grow My Own Food, But I Can't Find Bacon Seeds.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 7:36:39 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:
On 2/16/2020 4:14 PM, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

Tons of different oils out there but imo it's silly to use oils designed
to lube metal parts as a finish.

Update: I had cut a blank in half for carving threads into the nut. It's been a week and the blank is now in saw dust. I'll start carving tomorrow. I have 2 other blanks and one is soaking in mineral oil, for the machinist to work on. I have a third blank waiting in the wings.

Lately, I've been cleaning and rearranging the wood shop.... getting rid of lots on metal stuff that's been around for years...., clearing shelves of unused stuff that been saved for some odd, unforseen "project", but the project has never presented itself, yet. A trip to the metal salvage yard is planned for tomorrow.

Seems spring has arrived. Amaryllis are budding, plum and satsuma trees ares in full bloom, lawn needs mowing again, mocking birds are singing their mating songs. I weeded, some, in the flower gardens today.... temps in the high 60s, in the mid 70s tomorrow with rain. Also, I've been doing some repairs to trim on the house and shop.... it's been warm enough for priming and painting those repairs. Power washing the shop and house is coming soon.

With football season over, I've had more time for these other tasks, though I've been keeping up with the (NHL) Bruins. Once the rain ends I'll till the garden. My (lawn's) crop of four leaf clovers are about ready to pluck.... to give to friends, relatives and other folks, via greeting cards. Will collect them before mowing.

Hope to have pics of the nut thread carving soon. Not sure what "glue" will be used on the 2 halves, having been soaked with mineral oil, to mate them.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:39:43 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Some info on gluing oily woods can be found at the link below. One of the comments mentions
G-flex.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...cal-hardwoods/