Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Protect Metal Surfaces

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 3:47:51 PM UTC-5, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

Apply a dehumidifier to the room.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OtterGuy writes:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

First, you must determine _why_ they get "rust".

If the environment they're stored in is quite humid, get a dehumidifier;
surface coatings will likely be insufficient.

If someone is setting beer mugs on the table saw, and the condensate
is being left behind, don't let them into your shop.

If the shop is subject to wide temperature swings and humidity, get some rigid dense
foam, cut/glue it to make a cover for the saw (so long as it completely
covers the top and is 100% in contact with the top, moisture in the
air can't condense on the cold metal surface)

Otherwise, a thin coat of paste wax is the most efficacious method.

Or you can spend money on various commercial surface coatings, topcoat
and dry coat come to mind.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OtterGuy wrote:

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/100154748

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 4:36 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
OtterGuy writes:
[...]

I agree with the above.

While I can not say my old table saw table looks like it did when it
came from the store 50 years ago, my father in law, from whom I
inherited the saw, would be proud of the way I have keep it up.

Every time I am doodling around the saw I put on a coat of a good car
wax. Periodically I use a cleaner polishing compound on the table so the
wax does not build up. When rust spots do appear I carefully remove
them with a very fine piece of sand paper.

Special attention must be made to keep the miter slots clean.

I don't use dense foam for a cover, but a piece of 3/8" plywood. In my
case the plywood works better because it is less prone to damage. It
will not be damaged if a tools falls on the saw. It repels glue, paint,
oils or other solvents that would harm the saw, OR penetrate the foam
and cause a larger mess.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OtterGuy writes:
[...]

While I can not say myÂ* old table saw table looks like it did when it
came from the store 50 years ago, my father in law, from whom I
inherited the saw, would be proud of the way I have keep it up.

Every time I am doodling around the saw I put on a coat of a good car
wax. Periodically I use a cleaner polishing compound on the table so
the wax does not build up.Â*Â* When rust spots do appear I carefully
remove them with a very fine piece of sand paper.

Special attention must be made to keep the miter slots clean.

I don't use dense foam for a cover, but a piece of 3/8" plywood. In my
case the plywood works better because it is less prone to damage. It
will not be damaged if a tools falls on the saw.Â* It repels glue,
paint, oils or other solvents that would harm the saw, OR penetrate
the foam and cause a larger mess.

PS: My work shop is in my garage, and I use the same technique on my
handsaw, bandsaw, drill press, metal rulers, t squares, and all tools
that are p

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. Easy to apply (but with all such
products, you reapply as needed) but does not contain any silicone
(which causes fish-eye with finishes).

Other waxes will do as long as you avoid any that contain silicone
(i.e. most "car" waxes)
Posted to rec.woodworking

OtterGuy writes:
[...]

Watch out for the car waxes that contain silicone - silicone may transfer
to work causing finishing defects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

Please do not top post in your replies. It is not the standard in this
forum. Thanks!

I don't know where you heard that paste wax doesn't work.

DAGS - will paste wax prevent rust -

Just don't use anything that contains silicone. Silicone can transfer to
the wood and will affect many finishes.
finishes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 12:47:46 -0800, OtterGuy
wrote:

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

BoeShield - or much cheaper and easier to get your paws on - fluid
film.
Posted to rec.woodworking

OtterGuy writes:
[...]

My Myford lathe is in unheated garage and gets a light coating od
Fluid Film and it does the job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

BoeShield - or much cheaper and easier to get your paws on - fluid
film.

Boeshield is available at the Borg. Fluid film is about half the cost
but isn't available at the local store. A can of Boeshield has lasted
me several years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 2:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

EVERY Location is different. Temp and humidity have a great deal to do
with rust.

Wax is ok under very controlled environments.

The biggest issue is condensing moisture. If you equipment gets cold
and is sudden exposed to warm moist air hardly anything will help.

I personally use GlideCote. Nothing else has lasted more than a day or
two. And GlideCote is not perfect.

Actually "USE" is the best for protection assuming there is no
condensing moisture.

AND FWIW if you actually use your tools your sweat will be an issue.

You just have to experiment with what works best for you in your situation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 11:39:37 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 2/7/2020 9:40 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur. I think I've re-applied it once since.
No rust. Put it my drill press about 8 years ago. I've never re-done
it and no rust. I still have the original can.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I. It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever. ;~) I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS. I had rust the next morning.

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur. I think I've re-applied it once since.
No rust. Put it my drill press about 8 years ago. I've never re-done
it and no rust. I still have the original can.

No Doubt!!! As I mentioned in another post, it all depends on your
location and conditions as to which product will be adequate.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:22:49 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/7/2020 3:47 PM, OtterGuy wrote:
My woodworking tools get rust.
My tables gets rust.

What is the best protective stuff to apply to the table saw, bandsaw
table etc.

I've had good results with Boeshield T9
https://boeshield.com/

As have I.Â* It seems to last forever and works exceptionally well.
Just don't put it on too thick or the wood doesn't slide well.

Lasts for ever.Â* ;~)Â* I tried Boeshield on my brand new, 20 years ago,
Jet TS.Â* I had rust the next morning.

I put it on my 10YO Unisaur.Â* I think I've re-applied it once since.
No rust.Â* Put it my drill press about 8 years ago.Â* I've never re-done
it and no rust.Â* I still have the original can.

No Doubt!!!Â* As I mentioned in another post, it all depends on your
location and conditions as to which product will be adequate.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too.Â* :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...

Here is a thought, maybe Boeing could spray it on their grounded 737 Max
airplanes and.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Mine sat in the garage in the Auburn Alabama area for three years (the
drill press in an unheated attic). Since 2011, they've been in my
basement (unheated) in the Atlanta area. Not exactly controlled
environments.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 17:14:28 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I don't think they actually use it on their airplanes. It would take
thousands of cans. Coincidence? I think not!

The 737 Max may be their undoing. ...and take SouthWest Airlines with
it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 10:07:43 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Mine sat in the garage in the Auburn Alabama area for three years (the
drill press in an unheated attic). Since 2011, they've been in my
basement (unheated) in the Atlanta area. Not exactly controlled
environments.

I still have my original 20 year old can of BoeShield too. :~)

I wonder what else I could use it for...

Whenever you speak of "unheated" as an "uncontrolled" location and its over 150 miles from the coast, you are different from what Leon is talking about. Get a location near the coast, where your controlled location has heating and cooling that is used *in the same 24 hour period* and you will see why some people have more trouble with humidity, condensation, and rust than you do.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2020 7:14 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:13:49 PM UTC-5, OtterGuy wrote:
My workshop is in the garage so not able to control humidity.

I have been told that paste wax does not work.

I don't know where you heard that paste wax doesn't work.

Paste wax works, but sucks compared to Bostik GlideCote (TopCote). I've
use both and like most things, the product specifically designed for the
task works best, in this case, way best.

This stuff not only inhibits rust, but makes all your tool tops slick as
wet ice. This makes it a safety factor as well as a rust inhibitor.
Lasts a long time as well, longer than past wax and easy to use. I even
use it on all my vice/clamp threads as it makes them spin freely and no
rust.

--
Jack
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a