Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rant

More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises. The screw shaft size is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 threads per inch, thread depth is 3/16" deep. There are no tap and die sets available for this size screw unit... at least that I can find. Spoke with a machinist and he thinks he can make a nut.. We'll test a block to see if we can make one. If all goes well, then we'll see about a fee. My rant is I had thought it would be an easier task to get a new nut.
Broken nut under the end of the screw:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Had new roofing installed last month. Lately, I've been doing a few maintenance repairs on 2 corner soffit areas. My knees and thighs ache. These smallish jobs aren't as easy as they use to be. Still have the second coat of paint to apply to those areas.

Made a porch swing for a nephew and his wife. They put the swing outdoors, not under a porch/patio. I get frustrated when folks don't take care of things that I put effort into. Nephew didn't want to do the repairs on the rotted parts and he asked if I wanted the swing back. Lately, I've replaced the 3 rotted boards and will give the swing to another nephew, who is.....

Remodeling an old house into a camp. Last week we tore out some drywall and stripped & gutted the bathroom. I'll go meet him today and do more work.. We'll gut the place before the house is to be moved to a (new) lake location. I have some hickory planks and other parts for his camp dining table in the works.... all is ready for assembly and will be assembled/installed after he moves the house. Among other things, I have old salvaged doors for the camp and some cypress logs for interior framing/decor type beam supports, i.e., we'll remove a wall or two to open up some areas and the logs will support ceiling/roof beams.

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest. A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will never ever plant a garden.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 11:14:44 AM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises. The screw shaft size is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 threads per inch, thread depth is 3/16" deep.. There are no tap and die sets available for this size screw unit... at least that I can find. Spoke with a machinist and he thinks he can make a nut. We'll test a block to see if we can make one. If all goes well, then we'll see about a fee. My rant is I had thought it would be an easier task to get a new nut.
Broken nut under the end of the screw:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I think I recently watched a YouTube where a guy was making big wooden
nuts and bolts in a unique DIY manner. The bolts for sure, various threads.
I'll see if I can find it.

Had new roofing installed last month. Lately, I've been doing a few maintenance repairs on 2 corner soffit areas. My knees and thighs ache. These smallish jobs aren't as easy as they use to be. Still have the second coat of paint to apply to those areas.

When I was in the midst my Thanksgiving "freshen up project" (painting,
new trim, new drawer fronts, replaced a couple of doors, etc.) I was
sore all the time. The good thing was I lost 10 pounds.

Bad thing is it only took 2 months to gain it all back.

[...]

Big red line across the top of the TV screen a few minutes ago. Winter
storm warning until 6 AM Saturday. 12"-14" on top of the 6" we got last night. Maybe some ice, depending on the temperature. It's cold but clear
now, so I just came in from topping off the snowblower, checking the tires
and oil, swapping the old gas for new in the generator, filling the gas
cans, etc.

I think I'll wait until next weekend to mow. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 15:47:31 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest. A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will never ever plant a garden.

Snow here too. Down to about 8 inches on the level with piles a few
feet high. Likely mow in April. Might have to replant the front first
though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 08:14:41 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises. The screw shaft size is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 threads per inch, thread depth is 3/16" deep. There are no tap and die sets available for this size screw unit... at least that I can find. Spoke with a machinist and he thinks he can make a nut. We'll test a block to see if we can make one. If all goes well, then we'll see about a fee. My rant is I had thought it would be an easier task to get a new nut.
Broken nut under the end of the screw:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I know it's gauche around these parts but have you thought about a
printed nut? It won't show and I won't tell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest. A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will never ever plant a garden.

Snow here too. Down to about 8 inches on the level with piles a few
feet high. Likely mow in April. Might have to replant the front first
though.

Talking about snow here tonight too. It's been a few years since we
had any. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I know it's gauche around these parts but have you thought about a
printed nut? It won't show and I won't tell.

Printed nut? Do you mean 3D printing? I'd prefer a traditional approach, solution to match the table. However, I should look in to it. I have the one repaired table in use. I don't need two. Once repaired, I'll probably try to sell the second, so a printed nut may be somewhat acceptable.

The machinist I consulted told me he thinks he can thread the nut and do it within an hour. He's confident he can get his cutting tool inside the bore hole. His fee, if successful, is $45 an hour. He said he won't charge me if he can't be successful, since this would be something new/different from his normal machinist work.

Being a DIYer, I would have liked to make one myself, disappointed I can't find a tap & die set for this old vise size.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises. The screw shaft size is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 threads per inch, thread depth is 3/16" deep. There are no tap and die sets available for this size screw unit... at least that I can find. Spoke with a machinist and he thinks he can make a nut. We'll test a block to see if we can make one. If all goes well, then we'll see about a fee. My rant is I had thought it would be an easier task to get a new nut.
Broken nut under the end of the screw:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

If you want to be hard-core you can just hand-carve the nut. It's
been done.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Feb 2020 09:52:07 -0800 (PST), Sonny

I know it's gauche around these parts but have you thought about a
printed nut? It won't show and I won't tell.

Printed nut? Do you mean 3D printing? I'd prefer a traditional approach, solution to match the table. However, I should look in to it. I have the one repaired table in use. I don't need two. Once repaired, I'll probably try to sell the second, so a printed nut may be somewhat acceptable.

Sure. Possible longer (more threads) so it wouldn't break out. Have
two made in case you break one.

The machinist I consulted told me he thinks he can thread the nut and do it within an hour. He's confident he can get his cutting tool inside the bore hole. His fee, if successful, is $45 an hour. He said he won't charge me if he can't be successful, since this would be something new/different from his normal machinist work.

That's a good deal too. I'd doubt you could have one printed our of
decent material for less.

Being a DIYer, I would have liked to make one myself, disappointed I can't find a tap & die set for this old vise size.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 12:52:11 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:

I know it's gauche around these parts but have you thought about a
printed nut? It won't show and I won't tell.

Printed nut? Do you mean 3D printing? I'd prefer a traditional approach, solution to match the table. However, I should look in to it. I have the one repaired table in use. I don't need two. Once repaired, I'll probably try to sell the second, so a printed nut may be somewhat acceptable.

The machinist I consulted told me he thinks he can thread the nut and do it within an hour. He's confident he can get his cutting tool inside the bore hole. His fee, if successful, is $45 an hour. He said he won't charge me if he can't be successful, since this would be something new/different from his normal machinist work.

Being a DIYer, I would have liked to make one myself, disappointed I can't find a tap & die set for this old vise size.

All you need is the right router jig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXn-0MjiQI

Or make it in sections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAefitoScbY

Lots of videos via this Google search...

youtube diy wooden nut

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow
Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie
garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest.
A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I
remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will
never ever plant a garden.

Yum, green beans!

We had peas last summer, too. You don't have to do anything special with
them, just open your mouth and eat... if you use raised beds, straight off
the vine!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 7:51:27 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All you need is the right router jig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXn-0MjiQI

Or make it in sections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAefitoScbY

Lots of videos via this Google search...

youtube diy wooden nut

Yeah, all sorts of videos, but they are either too much prep work, materials, or set-up. None are on the easy side for the size nut I need. I'll probably have the machinist give it a try and I'll try carving one, also.

I think the best tip I've discovered is in this video (at about the 3 minute mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbY6El9Pzcs , where he soaks the stock in mineral oil for a week, before working the wood. Easier & smoother cutting if the wood is softened, first. BTW, the tap and die set he uses is this expensive brand, no doubt high quality tools - https://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.html

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 8:14:44 AM UTC-8, Sonny wrote:
More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises.

The only off-the-shelf way to get a coarse load-bearing screw and nut is 'acme' threaded
stock (there's a variety of hex nuts and barrel (cylinder) nuts to fit. A good wood screw might
have a lignum vitae nut (good for the stresses, and self-lubricating), but that's
an endangered species (and when available, you buy it by the gram...).

Making a new nut of wood is... problematic on several levels, but by taking a mold of the
screw, you can generate a profile for grinding a boring bar... it's do-able for a machine shop
without CNC tooling, and relatively easy with the right scan tools for a computer lathe or mill.

Here is a typical approach for making a wood nut:

https://youtu.be/pCDmwz91phM
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:19:36 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

[...]

A nice Nahmist approach, but do you really think that the people who
made wooden nuts in the 1700s had routers and allthread?

By hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqzErHyxPg

As for the notion that you need some fancy wood for the nut, it
doesn't have to be any stronger than the screw. If the screw is
maple, maple's fine for the nut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Feb 2020 05:39:07 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow
Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie
garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest.
A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I
remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will
never ever plant a garden.

Yum, green beans!

We had peas last summer, too. You don't have to do anything special with
them, just open your mouth and eat... if you use raised beds, straight off
the vine!

Puckdropper

I've come to the conclusion my planting a garden here is just
feeding those tree rats with the fancy fur coats and the minuature
Kangaroos that invade the garden every year. ANd it's not as if
hasenpfeffer or squirrel stew are part of my diet - - -

I think the last 2 or 3 tomatos I got out of my garden likely cost me
in excess of $5 each - and my raspberries about $10 a pint. And that
didn't take into account the cost of the fence material that stopped
the bunnies but just gave the squirrels something to run around on.

ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM
RIP DIY - longish rant Kevin Chambers UK diy 93 May 25th 04 06:34 PM
[Fwd: Rant](for Gunner) Lorne Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 03:31 PM
***kin British Gas! Rant Martin UK diy 26 October 17th 03 09:00 AM
Rant: Lawyers, OSHA & Attic Ladders Doug White Metalworking 7 October 10th 03 11:23 AM