Old February 9th 20, 06:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rant

" wrote in
:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow
Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie
garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest.
A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I
remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will
never ever plant a garden.

Yum, green beans!

We had peas last summer, too. You don't have to do anything special with
them, just open your mouth and eat... if you use raised beds, straight off
the vine!

Puckdropper

Old February 9th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 7:51:27 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All you need is the right router jig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXn-0MjiQI

Or make it in sections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAefitoScbY

Lots of videos via this Google search...

youtube diy wooden nut

Yeah, all sorts of videos, but they are either too much prep work, materials, or set-up. None are on the easy side for the size nut I need. I'll probably have the machinist give it a try and I'll try carving one, also.

I think the best tip I've discovered is in this video (at about the 3 minute mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbY6El9Pzcs , where he soaks the stock in mineral oil for a week, before working the wood. Easier & smoother cutting if the wood is softened, first. BTW, the tap and die set he uses is this expensive brand, no doubt high quality tools - https://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.html

Sonny
Old February 9th 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 8:14:44 AM UTC-8, Sonny wrote:
More so an update as to what's going on in my neck of the woods.....

A few years ago I bought two antique woodworking tables from the IRS auctions. Each needed some repair. Got one in good working order, specifically the two wood vises needed adjusting and a bit of repair. On the other table, a vise needs a new wooden nut for one of the vises.

The only off-the-shelf way to get a coarse load-bearing screw and nut is 'acme' threaded
stock (there's a variety of hex nuts and barrel (cylinder) nuts to fit. A good wood screw might
have a lignum vitae nut (good for the stresses, and self-lubricating), but that's
an endangered species (and when available, you buy it by the gram...).

Making a new nut of wood is... problematic on several levels, but by taking a mold of the
screw, you can generate a profile for grinding a boring bar... it's do-able for a machine shop
without CNC tooling, and relatively easy with the right scan tools for a computer lathe or mill.

Here is a typical approach for making a wood nut:

https://youtu.be/pCDmwz91phM
Old February 9th 20, 08:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:19:36 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

[...]

A nice Nahmist approach, but do you really think that the people who
made wooden nuts in the 1700s had routers and allthread?

By hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqzErHyxPg

As for the notion that you need some fancy wood for the nut, it
doesn't have to be any stronger than the screw. If the screw is
maple, maple's fine for the nut.

Old February 9th 20, 10:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Feb 2020 05:39:07 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:

We've had a mild winter. My lawn needs mowing. Probably will mow
Saturday or Sunday. Thinking it's almost time to till the veggie
garden, also. Hope to start some seed beds soon.

Sonny

I have snow covering my lawn. I won't mow until May at the earliest.
A friend puts out a garden. It will be May before he plants. I
remember picking green beans in the garden when I was a child. I will
never ever plant a garden.

Yum, green beans!

We had peas last summer, too. You don't have to do anything special with
them, just open your mouth and eat... if you use raised beds, straight off
the vine!

Puckdropper

I've come to the conclusion my planting a garden here is just
feeding those tree rats with the fancy fur coats and the minuature
Kangaroos that invade the garden every year. ANd it's not as if
hasenpfeffer or squirrel stew are part of my diet - - -

I think the last 2 or 3 tomatos I got out of my garden likely cost me
in excess of $5 each - and my raspberries about $10 a pint. And that
didn't take into account the cost of the fence material that stopped
the bunnies but just gave the squirrels something to run around on.

ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 26th 05 12:02 AM
RIP DIY - longish rant Kevin Chambers UK diy 93 May 25th 04 07:34 PM
[Fwd: Rant](for Gunner) Lorne Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 04:31 PM
***kin British Gas! Rant Martin UK diy 26 October 17th 03 10:00 AM
Rant: Lawyers, OSHA & Attic Ladders Doug White Metalworking 7 October 10th 03 12:23 PM