Old February 4th 20, 05:09 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Remember SawStop? They gave up the market, now it's force....

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 15:32:42 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

On 2/2/2020 11:05 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 06:22:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Saturday, March 29, 2003 at 7:07:25 PM UTC-6, edfan wrote:
Do you remember the SawStop - a device which sensed a change in the
resistance of the material being cut and STOPPED the blade in
milliseconds, the better to avoid injury? You recall the dramatic
demo for SawStop? They ran a hot dog into the whirling blade, the
SawStop device stopped the saw with barely a nick to the hot dog.
Think safety, think mangled fingers forever prevented, think Progress.

Even at the time, people mentioned they thought the royalties demanded
were so high and the potential liabilities so bankbreaking, there
might be trouble getting any tool manufacturer to adopt the device.
What would this lawyer do if they refused? I remember that people
wondered if the attorney who owned the patent wouldn't try to FORCE
companies to pay him by pushing for safety legislation setting
standards which, of course, no other device could meet.

Well, WATCH YOUR WALLETS - it's about to happen.

I was interested in the device, signed up at the company web site for
news. Today I got an email with an attached petition, "...we have
decided to petition the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to
require saw manufacturers to include something like SawStop on table
saws."

First they couldn't make manufacturers pay billions to make a device
that could explode their liabilities. When that failed, they set up a
company making saws that included the device. I guess they're not
making enough money from that, now they want to FORCE companies to pay
them off.

Get real, "something LIKE SawStop" means THEM, only THEM, not anybody
LIKE them. They mean to make an end run around the free market. What
they cannot persuade us to buy, they will SQUEEZE from us by
legislative coercion.

Can you IMAGINE what adding $150 "tax" would do to those who must buy
saws at the bottom of the market? Would YOU like to pay $150 extra for
your next saw, whtever level of the market you shop in? DO you think
Uncle Sugar needs to be your nanny to the point where they know better
than YOU do what dollar value you put on your safety?

I urge you to talk to fellow woodworkers about this rising danger to
our freedom of choice. I do not like Consumer Safety being used as a
ski mask to hide a holdup.

--

Well... here we are, 17 years later

You know what that means? In another 3 years their patents start
going away.

Unless they renew them.

There is no such thing. There are fees that are required to keep a
patent in force for the entire 20 years and if you want to call that
being "renewed", OK, but after the 20 years, there is no renewal. The
technology becomes public. That's the whole deal; the inventor gets a
government enforced monopoly for a specified time (currently 20 years
from date of filing), in trade the inventory has to teach the
technology to others (in the patent). The patent must contain 1)
enough information such that one "skilled in the art" can produce the
widget, and 2) *all* known implementations (at the time of filing) of
the patented technology.

Old February 4th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2020 10:01 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 15:33:51 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

On 2/2/2020 9:07 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 11:29:33 -0600, Leon [email protected] wrote:

On 2/1/2020 6:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 2/1/2020 12:50 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 11:05:57 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

A few more years and I just might look at a SawStop "like" device.

I bought my only table saw for this lifetime a decade ago.* Sawstop
was twice the price.* Not an option.

My thought was their patent will be expiring in just a few years.

YES! But they can renew their patent but that is another matter. It
will be interesting how the owner of SawStop, now Festool, will address
this.

Can't renew a patent after its 20 years (from the time of application,
not patent) has run out. It costs money to keep a patent in force
during that 20 year period but after, nope, the monopoly is over.
Whether someone wants to spend the money to clone it is another issue.

Cant they make a change and reapply?

Yes. No. It doesn't matter. The basic technology is what is
valuable. Anyone can make a clone SawStop the instant the patent runs
out. Nothing about a currently produced SawStop can be patented.

Good to know! In about 8 years there will be a lot of Domino clones,
just like there is now on the Fein Multimaster.