Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router Table

Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is too
big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically, I'm
building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want drawers
and dust collection case around the router. Seeking suggestions on
builds (pictures also, if available) but nothing too complicated. I
don't need a luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:
Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is too
big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically, I'm
building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want drawers and
dust collection case around the router. Seeking suggestions on builds
(pictures also, if available) but nothing too complicated. I don't need a
luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suggestion: make sure that the finished height matches your tablesaw and
workbench height so that the router table can be an outfeed or extension
support if you remove the fence.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mine's big too but maybe there's an idea or two in it for you:

http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:54 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:
Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is
too big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically,
I'm building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want
drawers and dust collection case around the router. Seeking
suggestions on builds (pictures also, if available) but nothing too
complicated. I don't need a luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suggestion: make sure that the finished height matches your tablesaw and
workbench height so that the router table can be an outfeed or extension
support if you remove the fence.

I second the height suggestion. I would also put the cabinet on wheels
so you can arrange your workspace to fit the job you are doing.

I have my workbench and table saw on wheels. I can use the workbench
as an out feed for the table saw, as a layout table when working on the
saw, or have the workbench and table saw arranged for minimum movement
when I am cutting many pieces. I can do the same thing with my router
table. However mine is not on a bench and when I am doing intensive
router work have it clamped to the table saw, with the workbench in the
most convenient positions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:
Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is too
big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically, I'm
building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want drawers
and dust collection case around the router. Seeking suggestions on
builds (pictures also, if available) but nothing too complicated. I
don't need a luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Suggestion: make sure that the finished height matches your tablesaw and
workbench height so that the router table can be an outfeed or extension
support if you remove the fence.

I second the height suggestion.Â* I would also put the cabinet on wheels so
you can arrange your workspace to fit the job you are doing.

I have my workbench and table saw on wheels.Â*Â* I can use the workbench as
an out feed for the table saw, as a layout table when working on the saw,
or have the workbench and table saw arranged for minimum movement when I am
cutting many pieces.Â*Â* I can do the same thing with my router table.
However mine is not on a bench and when I am doing intensive router work
have it clamped to the table saw, with the workbench in the most convenient
positions.

Yeah. My router table and miter saw are on roll-arounds (pretty much
mandatory in a small shop like mine) and all are the same height. The miter
saw can be removed by just pulling out two pegs so everything is
interchangeable. In theory my Robland X31 is on wheels or at least it has
their "mobility" accessories but, at something close to a half-ton, it
isn't something I do more than once or twice a year.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router Table Small Tools

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:

I have my workbench and table saw on wheels.Â*Â* I can use the workbench
as an out feed for the table saw, as a layout table when working on
the saw, or have the workbench and table saw arranged for minimum
movement when I am cutting many pieces.Â*Â* I can do the same thing with
my router table. However mine is not on a bench and when I am doing
intensive router work have it clamped to the table saw, with the
workbench in the most convenient positions.

Yeah. My router table and miter saw are on roll-arounds (pretty much
mandatory in a small shop like mine) and all are the same height. The
miter saw can be removed by just pulling out two pegs so everything is
interchangeable. In theory my Robland X31 is on wheels or at least it
has their "mobility" accessories but, at something close to a half-ton,
it isn't something I do more than once or twice a year.

John McGaw:
How do you handle your small tools like grinder, vice, etc?

I have mine mounted on 2X 8 and when I need them I pull them off the
shelf, put them on the work bench and clamp them down.

This method works well for every thing except my bench drill press,
small band saw, and my new bench belt sander.

How do you handle these mid size items. like the Drill press?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:

I have my workbench and table saw on wheels.Â*Â* I can use the workbench
as an out feed for the table saw, as a layout table when working on the
saw, or have the workbench and table saw arranged for minimum movement
when I am cutting many pieces.Â*Â* I can do the same thing with my router
[...]

I have a full-sized old-iron Delta drill press and it sits in a corner by
the garage door. That works for most things although if I need to work on
really big stuff I have to drag it out a bit. Heavy but doable as long as
it isn't necessary to do it too often. (it isn't). I have a roll-around
that holds a grinder and Hitachi power sharpener and a 1" belt/disk sander
used mostly for sharpening. These can be swapped to the top position of the
roll-around as needed. The only tool with a setup similar to yours is a
4"belt/disk sander which is mounted on a plywood "T" arrangement which can
be clamped into one of the bench vises as needed. I may have more room that
you though. My shop is half of a 2-car garage I walled off from the "real"
garage. Oh, and the slot mortiser for the Robland has its own low storage
roll-around and is only mounted to the machine when needed since it would
make movement past the Robland difficult if it stayed in place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:

[...]

My bench top band saw is mounted on a stand like this, for which I made
a rolling base:

https://www.harborfreight.com/29-inc...and-95128.html

When I need more room in the shop I roll it out into the main part of the
basement.

My bench sander usually gets lifted onto the bench when I need it. For real
quick jobs, especially with the disk, I can kneel down and use it while its
on the bottom shelf of the workbench.

My bench drill press sit in the back corner of my workbench and I slide it
forward when I need to use it. Actually, it usually sit in its "use" position
and I push it back when I need that workbench space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 3:50:20 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is too
big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically, I'm
building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want drawers
and dust collection case around the router. Seeking suggestions on
builds (pictures also, if available) but nothing too complicated. I
don't need a luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Funny, I just finished a router table that has been on the to do list for a long time. I can't see how to post pictures here so I'll do my best to describe it.

Mine is a Kreg top and lift with a Rockler fence. I bought a kitchen base cabinet from the Habitat For Humanity Restore Store for $25, reinforced it, attached casters and mounted the top. If I need to prevent the table from moving, I can slip scraps of 4X4 under each corner. The cabinet has three drawers, the top one is notched to fit around the box containing the router and feeding the dust collector. The top drawer has wrenched for the router and lift and a holder for bits. The table was made to fit under my table saw outfeed for storage with the fence being stored on brackets on the side of the table.

I haven't even tried it out yet so I can't say what works and what I should have done differently. Good luck with your project!

Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 10:03:34 AM UTC-5, Tom Crist wrote:
[...]

This is a text only group, so instead of posting pictures, you need to
post links. I use Imgur, but there are other free image-hosting sites
available. Just make sure that you choose one that doesn't make your
audience register before they can view your images. That's not likely
to happen.

Just as an example, here's a link to one of my projects, a small kitchen
island for my daughter's apartment.

https://i.imgur.com/J44gEhl.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2020 10:03 AM, Tom Crist wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tom. I've been thinking of using a cabinet also. I've been
viewing kitchen and bathroom cabinets on Craigslist and Facebook
Marketplace but completely forgot about HFH. There are several local
ones in my area, I can check them out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 08:10:20 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Nice indeed. Did you make the butcher block?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:

[...]

Nice, I'd not seen one of those in HF. Do you happen to have the
dimensions of the top? I assume you can mount a shelf on the
stretchers (which should strengthen it significantly, as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 10:31:40 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Thanks. Actually, on that project I cheated. It used to look like this.

https://i.imgur.com/XOFNEPG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/IMX6o1a.jpg

I took the beaded paneling from the top portion, fitted it to the back of
the base and trimmed it out so it became a two-sided piece. I also rebuilt
the drawers, added slides, new hinges, etc.

https://i.imgur.com/eeIziHg.jpg

Back to the router table...

I know you want storage in your router table so this might not work for you,
but...

I have a really small shop with no room for a dedicated router table. I used
the "table saw extension" method and built a fence with a dust collection
port. That's obviously not the router table fence shown below.

https://i.imgur.com/bxpP3h6.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/10/2020 3:50 PM, Hawk wrote:

[...]

You'll noticed I used the words "stand *like* this".

My stand actually came with my bandsaw. It's an old 30 yo Craftsman benchtop
that was sold both with and without a leg set. I hit a one day sale when the
leg set was basically free.

The HF unit is 29 1/4 x 21 1/2 at the bottom. Mine is 25 1/2 x 21 1/2, so
a bit narrower across the front. That said, the top of mine in 10 x 14.

Without knowing the angle of the HF legs, it's hard to say if the top
to bottom ratios are the same as mine. That's the best I can offer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

No, I bought the top at Lowes and cut it to size.

See my response to Hawk. That project was actually a repurposing of a 2 piece
hutch I picked up at a consignment shop. I stopped by on the last day they
were open just to see what they had left and it was sitting by the front door,
about ready to hit the dumpster.

I think I paid like $50 for it. My timing was perfect because my daughter
had just moved in and really needed an island. Repurposing the hutch was a
lot quicker than building from scratch.

Remember the post where I said I took my dad on the gondola up Killington
and had lunch with him and my daughter? The delivery of the island was the
reason I went to Vermont so I swung through MA, picked up my Dad and took
him with me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 10, 2020 at 2:50:20 PM UTC-6, Hawk wrote:
Planning to build a router table to replace my current one, which is too
big. I have a Rockler router top which will be used, so basically, I'm
building a base. I'm avoiding the Rockler stand because I want drawers
and dust collection case around the router. Seeking suggestions on
builds (pictures also, if available) but nothing too complicated. I
don't need a luxury style, just more practical.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I am assuming you want it adjustable, the router that is. The size of the cabinet is totally up to you, after all YOU ARE THE CREATOR. ;-) Here is the one I built, you might find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfjeS5jolBs

BTW, the Surplus Center is an excellent place to get the ACME Leadscrew. But a piece of all thread will work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/13/2020 7:47 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

I saw this video some time ago and plan to build this exact lift when
table is complete. It's a Great design.

Thanks