Posted to rec.woodworking

Default [OT] "Houston, we have a problem."

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 19:24:32 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 9:05:39 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 04:34:46 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 12:01:39 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 21:32:55 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 21:09:29 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:46:13 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 15:59:16 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:27:43 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Clare Snyder wrote:

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 08:48:02 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/6/2020 12:06 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jan 2020 05:17:02 +0000, (Chaz of
Canterbury) wrote:

Could you blokes explain to me how the bloody hell
these Ben Hur death-chariot wheels are legal on
Texas motorways?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIjMgDHFFgk

Driving with the boot lid open as well?
Do the constables simply look the other way?
Show vehicle only - only on the show grounds. Boot lid open would not
be an issue on the highway if nothing loose to come out

No, these vehicles with these wheels exist on the roads and freeways in
Houston.
Placarded for over-width???
Definitely illegal.
Defionitely unsafe

They _appear_ to be legal IF the car doesn't exceed 8ft width.

https://abc13.com/archive/7699639/

https://www.khou.com/article/news/exaggerated-tire-rims-swangers-are-they-legal/285-567542949

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLRVdADj8Og
a PH.D gives the history:

difference between 83's & 84's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZbb_R18OIo

FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) outlawed any wheels or
wheel covers with "winged projections" for 1968; that particular
regulation was included in the FMVSS revisions due to Ralph Nader's
efforts. That's why GM released special hex nuts and a special wrench
as service replacements for KO wheel spinners - it was illegal to sell
the original spinners after 1968;

What GM vehicle ever came with knock-off hubs?

The 'Vette, for one. and fake knockoffs were pretty common in the
fifties and sixties
the same thing happened to all
service replacement wheel covers that originally included spinners -
the service replacements were sold with no spinner - just a round
emblem that attached to the center of the cover

According to this many of those Swangers ARE illegal under FEDERAL
Law

Federal motor vehicle standards govern manufacturers of motor
vehicles, not end users. You can call the FBI or the NHTSA or the ICC
or whatever agency you think may have jurisdiction but don't expect
more than a polite brush-off from them.

Modifications that go against federal motor vehicle safety standards
ARE illegal - whether it is enforced, selectively enforced, or not
enforced doesn't change that.

Cite the statute if you believe that.

"Except as provided in this section, sections 30113 and 30114 of this
title, and subchapter III of this chapter, a person may not
manufacture for sale, sell, offer for sale, introduce or deliver for
introduction in interstate commerce, or import into the United States,
any motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment manufactured on or after
the date an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under
this chapter takes effect unless the vehicle or equipment complies
with the standard and is covered by a certification issued under
section 30115 of this title."

Note the wording there. They're relying on the Commerce Clause for
their authority--if you aren't selling it it isn't commerce.

So you think those abortions are not sold?????

"This section does not apply to—
(1)the sale, offer for sale, or introduction or delivery for
introduction in interstate commerce of a motor vehicle or motor
vehicle equipment after the first purchase of the vehicle or equipment
in good faith other than for resale;"

In other words it doesn't apply to the purchaser.
It's still illegal to sell the crap. Which tends to indicate it is
illegal to buy and use it, I know you libertarian yanks and rebs like
to bust every law you can get your minds around - if itisn't
SPECIFICALLY prohibited it's fair game.

"tends to indicate"

That's a pretty strong argument. Akin to...

might, maybe
kind of, sort of

It's illegal to sell homemade wine, but you can use it
It's illegal to sell a counterfeit handbag, but you can use it

The law related to the selling of a product doesn't automatically make
(or even indicate) its use illegal. There would need to be specific law governing the product's use.

Wll here in Ontario you can't sell a vehicle with them on it as a
roadworthy vehicle, and if you get caught with them on the road you
WILL be charged. Furthermore if you get involved in an eccident where
property damage or bodilly harm results from their presence you WILL
face severe penalties - like assault with a dangerous weapon, or
dangerous vehicle operation, or quite possibly dangerous or careless
driving. The officer will throw enough charges to be sure at least one
will stick

You do realize that I wasn't talking about cars, don't you? My response
had nothing to do with cars.

Aren't you going to defend the statement that I replied too?

It's still illegal to sell the crap. Which tends to indicate it is
illegal to buy and use it,

If you can't defend it, then at least admit that you were wrong by saying
it.

Oh, wait... I almost forgot who I was talking to.

You were talking about card with swangers on the road - so who you
were talking to isn't the only thing you forgot.

Obviously either the damned things are legal in Texas or the Leos are
not doing their jobs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 12:01:39 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 21:32:55 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

[big old snippity snip]

[...]

I think that I see the problem. Clare, you do realize what the US -
Canada border represents, do you not?

Your argument is veering dangerously close to something like "If my
hunchbacked brother had a compressor instead of the hump, he might be a
refrigerator."

OK- I'm wrong - are you all happy now???

I KNOW there is a border - and Canada isn't the USA (Thank everything
that's holy!!) but federal motor vehicle standards are pretty well
harmonized between the two countries since NAFTA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

Are you actually telling *me* what *I* was talking about?

Wow! Now you think you read minds too.

Look at the examples I gave. They both discussed items that are illegal to
sell but not illegal to be used.

Look at my final comment: "The law related to the selling of a product
doesn't automatically make (or even indicate) its use illegal."

I was talking about your statement related to "illegal to sell therefore
illegal to use." Nothing more.

Don't tell *me* what *I* was talking about just because you missed the
point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Comparing Persimmons to Watermelons, is where a lot of dicussions end
up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps they are but NAFTA does not repeal the Tenth Amendment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

the original spinners after 1968; the same thing happened to all
service replacement wheel covers that originally included spinners -
the service replacements were sold with no spinner - just a round
emblem that attached to the center of the cover

According to this many of those Swangers ARE illegal under FEDERAL
Law

Regardless if the wheels are legal or not, that is not the police
departments focus.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

True, but minor illegalities can be used as a reason to pull someone over even
if they aren't outright doing something wrong. Commonly called a pretextual
stop. Sometimes all the po-po need is an excuse and anything they find
afterward is in play. (more or less)

My police friends have told me that they will use things as simple as clear
plexiglass over a license plate as a reason to pull someone over if they
suspect something is amiss. Technically, the plate is "obstructed", so no
one can later claim that they were being harassed or profiled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

I'm a fan of Live PD and see that all the time. License plate light,
turn signal and next is a drug bust.

In the new recently a car was pulled over for window tint and found a
million dollar in weed. Crooks can be incredibly stupid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

I used to have a van with clear plexi over the personalized plates. I got
pulled over for speeding (67 in a 55) but after the officer realized
what a nice guy I am he decided to lessen the charge.

Nice guy indicators: My plates say DERBYDAD and I was taking my 9 YO
daughter and a couple of her friends to their basketball tournament,
all dressed in their uniforms.

He went back to his car, came back a few minutes later and said "When I
pulled you over I called it in, so I can't just let you go. I'm giving you
a ticket for an obstructed licence plate. $15, you can mail it in. Keep it under 65, OK?" Then he looked into the back of the van and said "Good luck,
girls." :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

MOST cops are pretty decent people, most of the time. Some decent
cops have some bad days - and spme cops are just miserable human
beings on their best days. Nephew is a cop. Uncle was a cop,
brother-in-law was a cop, 2 cousins were cops, several friends kids
are cops. Only one would give me concerns about hew he/she might
handle a situation (if having a bad day)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

SWMBO and I were driving home in her mustang convertible about
midnight, after a movie. I was going about 60 in a 50 and got pulled
over. Once the cop saw our gray hair, he backed down and gave me a
warning. I'm sure he was looking for kids or drunks. We certainly
didn't fit the profile.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

My DERBYDAD plates have saved me more than once.

I was driving on what is typically a deserted 4 lane highway. After mid-night,
doing 75 in a 55. I haven't seen another car for almost an hour. Dodge
conversion van, rear bench in the bed position, my son's Soap Box Derby car
on resting on the bed.

Cop pulls me over, asks me where I'm heading in such a hurry. I point to the
Derby car and say "Going home after working on my son's car all evening." He
smiles and says "Well, that explains the plates. I'm sure you know we give
folks a little leeway out here. Try to keep it under 70. Have a good night."

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

But the police, in Houston, are not pulling these vehicles over because
they are going to issue a ticket for the wheels.

Vehicles can be pulled over for most any reason, like driving
erratically, whether you are actually driving erratically or not. This
is happened to me late at night so that the policeman could get a look
inside the bed of my truck. He also said that I had a tail light that
was out, which I did not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

That was actually my point. ;-)

They use anything that could possibly be illegal as an excuse to look for
other stuff. If they find nothing, odds are they'll send the driver on his
way, unless of course the driver is an a-hole.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Canterbury) wrote:

[...]

Be nice, or the odds of #1 go down and the odds of #2 go up
exponentially. Understandable, actually.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!

+1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u4kRF_1576352069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rN1vcx9Xw

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/13/2020 10:00 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!

+1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u4kRF_1576352069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rN1vcx9Xw

Some people are just asking for a confrontation with the law.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/13/2020 10:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2020 10:00 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!Â*

+1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u4kRF_1576352069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rN1vcx9Xw

Some people are just asking for a confrontation with the law.

And are shocked, shocked I tell you, when they achieve it! LOL!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 10:57:17 -0600, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 1/13/2020 10:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2020 10:00 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!Â*

+1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u4kRF_1576352069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rN1vcx9Xw

Some people are just asking for a confrontation with the law.

And are shocked, shocked I tell you, when they achieve it! LOL!

"Driving while stupid".

Reminds me of the time my boss asked me to ride down to the jail with
her to lend moral support while she bailed her kid out. The kid,
after annoying cops in a number of ways, finished up by telling the
cop "You can't arrest me", to which the cop replied "You have the
right to remain silent . . ."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/2020 11:34 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

One of the best stories I've heard, a woman complained a car was
speeding down her street every day at the same time. She called police
to complain and they set up to stop him.

Police stopped him and said "I've been waiting for you" and the driver
replied, "I got here as fast as I could". Got a warning and problem
solved.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/13/2020 10:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2020 10:00 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!Â*

+1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u4kRF_1576352069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rN1vcx9Xw

Some people are just asking for a confrontation with the law.

And are shocked, shocked I tell you, when they achieve it! LOL!

"Driving while stupid".

Reminds me of the time my boss asked me to ride down to the jail with
her to lend moral support while she bailed her kid out. The kid,
after annoying cops in a number of ways, finished up by telling the
cop "You can't arrest me", to which the cop replied "You have the
right to remain silent . . ."

I think it was Ice-T (Law and Order SVU) that was heard to say:

"You have the right to remain stupid."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/13/2020 10:23 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2020 10:00 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Two maxims involving contact with police:

1) You cannot always talk your way out of a ticket!

2) You CAN always talk your way into a ticket!Â*

+1

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=u4kRF_1576352069

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rN1vcx9Xw

Some people are just asking for a confrontation with the law.

And are shocked, shocked I tell you, when they achieve it!Â* LOL!

Sounds exactly like what I would say. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, January 13, 2020 at 9:15:47 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I made a right hand turn from a side street onto a main road. There was a
police car coming up the road, but he was in the left lane and at least a
block away. Seconds later he's right behind me, lights on.

As I'm slowing to pull over, my mind is racing trying to figure out what
I did wrong. I used my blinker, my seat belt was on, I didn't cut him off.
What did I do?

Just as I'm about to stop, he pulls out from behind me, slows as he gets
alongside, waves, laughs, then speeds off.

Turns out it was one of the other Dad's from my daughter's basketball team.
Those DERBYDAD plates made me very recognizable around town. ;-)