Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The trip and Hartland Hardware !!!!!!

So.... my wife and I just got back from our "oblgation" trip, 12 days on
the road.

Day 1 From the Houston area we stopped in West Memphis AR.

Day 2 On to Terra Haute IN.

Day 3 On to Elkhart IN and stayed 3 nights. Visited the RV museum,
train museum and my wife's brother and his family.

Day 6 On to North Canton, OH. Stayed 3 nights and visited out daughter
in-law's parents and brothers/ sisters, and nephew.

AND We visited Hartville Hardware again. WOW this place is like 3 HD,
Lowes and or Menards put together. The tool section beats any tool
store that I have ever been in. They stock a pretty much complete line
of Shaper Orion, Saw Stop, King, Festool, Jet, Rikon, Powermatic,
Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, and probably a load of other brands of hand
tools. To top it all of they have the longest extension ladder I have
ever seen, 60 feet long and hanging from the ceiling all extended.
Absolutely worth a look if you are in the Akron area.

Day 9 On to Paduka KY.

Day 10 On to Bentonville AR.

Day 11 On to Piedmont OK. More relatives.

Day 13 On to H O M E yeah!!!!!

That concluded our 3477 mile trip.

BTY we need Menards down here in Houston, Hartville Hardware is probably
too much to hope for. :-)

Happy New Year!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 2:16:48 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

12 days, 3500 miles and more words about a hardware store than the rest of
the entire trip. No doubt about where *your* interests lie. ;-)

Glad you had fun. Happy New Year!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2020 2:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I thought it was obvious from the way Day 6 in North Canton, Ohio was
phrased.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 13:16:37 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

I'm just happy we have a few hundred Lowes and BORGs, plus a couple of
Woodcrafts and Rocklers, and a Peachtree and a Highland in easy
driving range (if you could call driving anywhere in Atlanta "easy").
OTOH, we're really short on decent hardware stores.

Happy New Year!!!!!

+1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2020 1:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

LOL, I feel it was an obligation trip. ;~) But the new F150 was a
dream.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2020 6:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

My wife and I plan to visit Georgia soon when the big woodworking
convention happens in Atlanta. Maybe not this year but maybe 2022.

Happy New Year!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

In case some of you have not seen or visited Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visited Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away. This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 3:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visited Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away. This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

I actually ordered an out feed table from 7 Corners about 6 years ago.

FWIW the Hartville hardware compound is owned by the Amish. Service was
stellar.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, January 2, 2020 at 4:16:52 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/2/2020 7:43 AM, G Ross wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:1cCdnfpQH6KFbZHDnZ2dnUU7-
:

So.... my wife and I just got back from our "oblgation" trip, 12 days on
the road.

Day 1Â* From the Houston area we stopped in West Memphis AR.

You're getting close to Lambert's in Sikeston, but it's probably a good
detour if you're on the way to Indiana.

Day 10 On to Bentonville AR.

Walmart museum?

Not a bad place to spend a few hours.

Puckdropper

Never heard of the WalMart museum, butÂ* was in Bentonville when WalMart
was just starting to expand and went in the original store. It was a
tiny store, dark and dingy, with narrow aisles and stuff stacked 9 ft high.

Heck I used to go to the original Whataburger in Corpus Christi. Small
is a good description, you ordered outside and was handed your order
outside.

https://whataburger.com/home

The drive home to western NY from the annual championship Soap Box Derby
races in Akron always included a stop at Quaker Steak and Lube in Erie, PA,
just a block or so off I-90.

One year we took a day away from Derby Downs and drove to the original Quaker
Steak and Lube in Sharon PA. Nothing like the humongous franchises seen
elsewhere.

https://thelube.com/locations/pennsy...iginal-sharon/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 16:43:31 -0600, Markem
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 15:13:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/1/2020 11:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:1cCdnfpQH6KFbZHDnZ2dnUU7-
:

So.... my wife and I just got back from our "oblgation" trip, 12 days on
the road.

Day 1 From the Houston area we stopped in West Memphis AR.

You're getting close to Lambert's in Sikeston, but it's probably a good
detour if you're on the way to Indiana.

We were close to Sikeston. What is Lamberts?

Home of throwed rolls, they toss the bread rolls.
A now closed restaurant, in Murphysboro, Illinois stole they're best
roll thrower to one up them.

https://throwedrolls.com/

Should have done that before
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 21:37:19 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visited Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away. This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

You need to take a trip up toWelbeck Sawmill just north of Durham
Ontario if you are liiking for an assortment of woodworking tools!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visited Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away. This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

You need to take a trip up toWelbeck Sawmill just north of Durham
Ontario if you are liiking for an assortment of woodworking tools!

for a short introduction see

https://seaandskirealty.ca/local-bus...lbeck-sawmill/
and
https://www.welbecksawmill.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 1/1/2020 11:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:1cCdnfpQH6KFbZHDnZ2dnUU7-
:

So.... my wife and I just got back from our "oblgation" trip, 12
days on the road.

Day 1 From the Houston area we stopped in West Memphis AR.

You're getting close to Lambert's in Sikeston, but it's probably a
good detour if you're on the way to Indiana.

We were close to Sikeston. What is Lamberts?

https://throwedrolls.com/lamberts-cafe-i/

We just looked for the signs when we headed that way.

We usually stop at the one in Ozark, MO about halfway between Springfield
and Branson.

Day 10 On to Bentonville AR.

Walmart museum?

Nope, we had an early stop for over night in Bentonville. We
specifically stopped there to see the Crystal Bridge Museum.. Very
cool!

I'm going to have to check that out. My Aunt lives just outside
Fayetteville.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 15:08:06 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

My older ('13) F150 runs like a dream too but we took SWMBO's '19
Mustang to Vermont in October. Good thing because I had a seizure
while we were there (day before we were supposed to leave) and she had
to drive the entire trip home. I can't drive until mid-April,
assuming nothing else happens. :-( :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 16:14:42 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/2/2020 3:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visited Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away. This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

I actually ordered an out feed table from 7 Corners about 6 years ago.

FWIW the Hartville hardware compound is owned by the Amish. Service was
stellar.

Not surprising. When we lived in Kent, OH, we shopped at a lot of the
Amish furniture stores/makers. We bought our dining room and bedroom
sets there, and a king sized quilt to go along with it. All very nice
people. Interestingly, many had electric lights and power tools, and
even a web site. I asked about this and they were very gracious,
explaining that business is business and personal comfort is an
entirely different thing. Even so, the store and shop (the owner gave
me a tour) had their own generators. They were completely off-grid. A
few other stores had gas lights (rather hot during the summers).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 10:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

Well that sucks. ;~( So the dream part was the massaging seats,
adaptive cruise control, and relatively good gas mileage.
Hope your episode was a one time event.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 10:31 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

https://crystalbridges.org/

Plus a load of walking trails.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/2/2020 3:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visitedÂ* Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away.Â* This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

I actually ordered an out feed table from 7 Corners about 6 years ago.

FWIW the Hartville hardware compound is owned by the Amish.Â* Service was
stellar.

7 Corners Ace was truly Mecca for the woodworker or tool junkie. Used
to go up there to visit my daughter in grad school and would always make
a stop at 7 Corners to browse and then go to the Italian Deli/Restaurant
across the street to grab some lunch.

In the Chicago metro area, THE place to go and drool is Berland's House
of Tools.

https://www.berlandstools.com/

Rather sign large inside that reads "If We Don't Have It, You Don't Need
It!"

I'll have to admit though, looking at Hartville's website, they probably
have Berland's beat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 5:52:52 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/2/2020 3:37 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet writes:
In case some of you have not seen or visitedÂ* Hartville Hardware,

https://www.hartvillehardware.com/

Most of the good old hardware stores are going away.Â* This was
one of my favorites when I was in the area:

https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/powe...-in-business_o

I actually ordered an out feed table from 7 Corners about 6 years ago.

FWIW the Hartville hardware compound is owned by the Amish.Â* Service was
stellar.

7 Corners Ace was truly Mecca for the woodworker or tool junkie. Used
to go up there to visit my daughter in grad school and would always make
a stop at 7 Corners to browse and then go to the Italian Deli/Restaurant
across the street to grab some lunch.

If I went there, I'd eat first. Gotta keep your strength up while browsing
the tool aisle. You might have to carry something out. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Truly a shame that it closed. It was like walking back in time. I
don't that I've ever seen so much NOS in one place. It was everywhere.
What immediately struck me was the layout in what I believe was likely
the original store (IIRC the whole thing took up several buildings).

I walked down aisles that had shelves maybe 10'-12' high and there was
no sliding ladder nor room to roll one of those steps units like at the
big box stores. Merchandise was stacked floor to ceiling with no
obvious organization (at least in that area of the store). I'm a big guy
(6'4" and 250+) and was feeling a bit claustrophobic.

Upstairs in that building (or perhaps it was the one immediately to the
south) was their higher end stuff. Surveying equipment, and the more
expensive stuff. That area at least had room to breath.

All in all it was quite a surprise to me as they were one of the first
places I made mail order purchases of tools from, back when they ran ads
in every issue of Fine Woodworking.

It's really a shame that those wood butchers who follow in our footsteps
in coming years will be unlikely to experience stuff like this.

It was a great experience though. On my last trip there I found a large
box containing 48 metal boxes about 4"x6"x"4", nicely painted. I think
I bought them for about $25. Drilled narrow end for some cheap wood
knobs and damn, those suckers hold a ton of hardware.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That's the trouble with proprietorships--if they can't find a new
proprietor they die. There was a place here that had any appliance
part you wanted. Walked in there after dark last week to get a new
inlet valve for the 40 year old Maytag and found that it was now a
vape shop. Seems the owner died and there wasn't anybody else in the
family willing to take over so they closed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Agreed. I might not have enough money to eat after.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 08:50:47 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 1/2/2020 10:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, it sucks big time but I'll get through it, as long as it is a
one-time event.

The Mustang gets surprisingly low gas mileage (under 30) but it is a
heavy car for its size. Nice car, though.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 10:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have a friend that had a Mustang. Mid-teens I think, convertible. She was
heading to Florida and was using a left lane entrance onto the highway. As
she entered (top-down) she pulled alongside one of those flatbed trailers
hauling a huge backhoe. There was a car in front of her, a car in back and
no real shoulder to speak of. Suddenly the trailer started swaying and Bam!
Bam! Bam! it hit her 3 times before she could speed up enough to get past
it. She still doesn't know how she kept it on the road.

She eventually got to a place where there was enough shoulder to pull onto.
Turns out that there was a trooper behind the truck that saw the whole
thing. She watched as the trooper pulled the truck over about a 1/4 mile
ahead. The driver claimed that he had no idea that he had hit anything.

The damage was extensive and she managed to talk the adjuster into totaling
the vehicle. She said that the event had shaken her up so much that she'd
never be able to drive the car again, especially with the top down. Seeing
that huge backhoe looming over her head and swinging towards her scared the
bejesus out of her. She never wanted to see the Mustang again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/2/2020 4:14 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

FWIW Hartville has a large restaurant in another building on the compound.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

With the 5.0 V8 and driving the speed limit, mostly 70 mph I got a legit
19 mpg. That is actual miles divided by gallons to fill. Not the
inflated amount that the vehicle computer calculated.

I heard that the Eco boost V6 gets worse gas mileage. Not enough cubic
inches to hold 70 with out the turbo kicking in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

My '13 F150 (same engine) gets between 18 and 19 at 70(ish). It's not
too much different on the road or around town.

I heard that the Eco boost V6 gets worse gas mileage. Not enough cubic
inches to hold 70 with out the turbo kicking in.

The Mustang has the 4cyl Eco boost with a 10-speed automatic
transmission.