Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 3/4 dowel into a 2 x 2 post

I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly straight from the top of a 2x2 post.

Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can pass on to do this?

I have a floor standing drill press.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

How long is your post? If it's 2 feet or so, no problem. On the other hand, if it's 10 feet, you have a situation.

jayemm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 9:25:36 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly straight from the top of a 2x2 post.

Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can pass on to do this?

I have a floor standing drill press.

Tilt the table vertical and put a dowel in the chuck; swing the table until its face
is 1" from the dowel center, clamp a vertical board stop to the table 1" from the dowel center,
and you have a place to clamp your 2x2 with the drill on-axis.

In end grain, the drill won't self-feed well, but a Forstner bit should make a clean hole.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2019 12:25 AM, Michael wrote:
I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly straight from the top of a 2x2 post.

Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can pass on to do this?

I have a floor standing drill press.

Thanks,

Mike

Finding the center is easy with lines from corner to corner.

Drilling straight is also easy with any type of jig or if the post is
short enough to fit under the drill press without the table.

If you need to hand drill, you can buy a jig.

http://file.espritmodel.com/tools_me...ing-jig4s3.jpg

https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/wp-co...&9fa586&9fa586

https://hips.hearstapps.com/pop.h-cd...6&resize=480:*

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/s...CPQul&usqp=CAY

Or you can make your own.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cf/23...ef4357ccbd.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly straight

from the top of a 2x2 post.

Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can pass on to do this?

I have a floor standing drill press.

Thanks,

Mike

Make sure your drill bit is sharp and sharpened properly. This will
make things much easier.

A spade bit will naturally bite in to the wood and it's easy to put it
on center and keep it there, but a Forstner might not be as easy to
center up. (Depends on how deep your centering point is--at 3/4" it can
be hard to see.) A small dimple at the centering point will help get
that bit started and all you have to do is drill straight.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2019 11:25 PM, Michael wrote:
I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly straight from the top of a 2x2 post.

Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can pass on to do this?

I have a floor standing drill press.

Thanks,

Mike

I had to do something similar a few years back. I used a router with a
top bearing flush cut bit. I drilled a 3/4" hole in a piece of plywood
and attached the plywood where I wanted it on the end of the post. I
then plunged the bit into the hole in the plywood and followed the
perimeter of the hole. The plywood served as a template for the top
bearing bit. Depending on the depth you need this may work out well or
not be deep enough. The hole willin the post will act as the guide for
the bearing once it has plunged past the thickness of the plywood template.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2019 11:25 PM, Michael wrote:
I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly
straight from the top of a 2x2 post.

Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can
pass on to do this?

I have a floor standing drill press.

I just thought I would mention that this is a familiar problem in
the days when people made banjos and they had to put a dowel into
the end of their banjo neck at a particular angle. That many of
them were successful is intended to give the OP some
encouragement! How did they do it? In short, with some attention
to the details -- "Set up is everything." Suggest the OP start
with a scrap piece and evaluate the outcome. I don't think there
is a one-size-fits-all solution, mostly just some basic
principles. That is of course, unless the OP has access to a
vertical or horizontal milling machine then this project becomes
utterly trivial. The latter approach, while probably impractical
for the OP, will surely provide all of the requisite inspiration.

I don't know the diameter of the hole that will be bored into
the 2-by-2, and I don't know it's end purpose, but I would "test
it's strength" before putting it in a mission critical
application--even if it will be a table leg.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 3:30:59 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
[...]

Leon,

That is a great solution. I have a plunge router and 3/4 bit and I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 20:33:46 -0500, Bill wrote:

On 12/14/2019 11:25 PM, Michael wrote:
I need to sink a 3/4 dowel perfectly centered and perfectly
straight from the top of a 2x2 post.
Does anyone have any woodworking ninja level 11 secret they can
pass on to do this?

I don't know the diameter of the hole that will be bored into
the 2-by-2, and I don't know it's end purpose, but I would "test
it's strength" before putting it in a mission critical
application--even if it will be a table leg.
Bill

.... especially if it's 2 x 2 nominal.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 18:59:20 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

[...]

And the routed hole will act as a guide for a speed-bor bit to deepen
the hole if required too - - - - or even for a good auger bit
Posted to rec.woodworking

Clare Snyder wrote:

Reading comprehension problems again eh? 3/4 inch dowel was specified

It was specified in the subject line--I realized that after I
posted. I'm sorry that you felt the need to get persnickety
about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote:

Â* Reading comprehension problems again eh? 3/4 inch dowel was
specified

It was specified in the subject line--I realized that after I
posted.Â* I'm sorry that you felt the need to get persnickety
about it.

Clare, Someone reading this could get the impression that you
were paying me to post. If you want to know what I really think
just push me a little bit more...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 23:08:39 -0500, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote:

Reading comprehension problems again eh? 3/4 inch dowel was
specified

It was specified in the subject line--I realized that after I
posted.* I'm sorry that you felt the need to get persnickety
about it.

Clare, Someone reading this could get the impression that you
were paying me to post. If you want to know what I really think
just push me a little bit more...

This is unmoderated usenet - feel free to have a hissy-fit
.... but it always says more about the hissy
than the "offender".
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Clare Snyder wrote:

Reading comprehension problems again eh? 3/4 inch dowel was
specified

It was specified in the subject line--I realized that after I
posted.Â* I'm sorry that you felt the need to get persnickety
about it.

Clare, Someone reading this could get the impression that you
were paying me to post. If you want to know what I really think
just push me a little bit more...

This is unmoderated usenet - feel free to have a hissy-fit
... but it always says more about the hissy
than the "offender".
John T.

It's OK to get "persnickety". If it wasn't there'd be no posts on this
newsgroup bg Not only no reading comprehension but no sense of
humor either I see.

I shared my time and effort to try to write out a thoughtful post
and the only part you carried forward to comment on was that I
had a "reading comprehension problem" (for not remembering that
the hole to be bored was 3/4"--a fact that was in the subject
line and not in the body of the message). You could have followed
up my post with a comment on banjo making or horizontal mills,
but instead you chose to take the available cheap-shot. You typed
"Reading comprehension problems again eh?", announcing that this
was a routine pattern of my behavior. Yes, it's true, I don't
appreciate that sort of attention. I had to unsubscribe from 2
of 4 newsgroups this year, since most of the posts turned into
bull**** and politics. I hope that doesn't happen to this one.