Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Actual Woodworking Again

About 3 months ago I posted some pictures of a plan to overhaul our
master closet. Builder grade has single shelves and hanger rods
totaling about 28 feet long. Unfortunately the shelves and rods crossed
each other in the corners and effectively making 10 feet hidden and
unusable. On top of that the highest shelf was 80" from the floor and
we have 9 foot tall ceilings in the closet. Read all of this as a lot
of wasted and unused space and was always a cluttered mess.

My design makes use of the tall ceilings and moves the hanger rods about
8 1/2 feet from the floor for half of the hanging space. In those spots
I used the wardrobe lifts to swing down to 3 feet for easy access.
Under those top rods are the mid rods and under that double height
drawers. In the middle back wall a place for the dirty clothes baskets,
linens, towels, and miscellaneous other stuff.
We have been using the closet with out the back cabinet for about 4
weeks and no clutter. I just added the back center storage cabinet in
the last few days and emptied most of the lower drawers into that cabinet.

FWIW we have much more storage and about 20% more "usable" hanger rod space.

SHMBO gets the long side, 14 feet of hanger space and 6 drawers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

The middle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

My side...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 16:09:01 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Efficient storage / closet = always a great idea ! nicely done.

ps : what is in the far left corner - floor air vent methinks ?

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 5:09:18 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Nice job. Keep it neat! ;-)

Corner Object Quiz: Cardboard tube, possibly containing a poster or
a set of plans/blueprints.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 4:41:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:

ps : what is in the far left corner - floor air vent methinks ?

John T.

Skeletons?

Good job, Leon.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thank you

No floor vents, just blank space. Why not fill the wardrobe to the
wall? There would have been no clearance for the drawers to clear the
center back cabinet. Same goes for the right side. We will certainly
find something to stick back in those corners, I'm, thinking small
shelves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2019 9:02 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It has remained neat since installing the wardrobe hangers and drawers.
Actually there is a void on both sides which lends itself on the right
side to store a couple of long stair hand rails with steel hooks screwed
into the ends.

Whut????

My wife does not like window light coming into our bedroom in the
mornings. Sooo we covered the windows with shades and black out
curtains, and we have the light bridge/bedroom towers blocking those
windows. How do we get our in case of fire?
The long poles with hooks will allow us to break out the garden window
over the garden tub in the master bathroom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2019 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/29/2019 4:43 PM, wrote:

ps :Â* what is in the far left cornerÂ* -Â* floor air ventÂ*Â* methinks ?

Â*Â*Â* John T.

Thank you

No floor vents, just blank space.Â* Why not fill the wardrobe to the
wall?Â* There would have been no clearance for the drawers to clear the
center back cabinet.Â* Same goes for the right side.Â* We will certainly
find something to stick back in those corners, I'm, thinking small shelves.

Yeah, otherwise those are going to be dust bunny havens. Probably a
solid base diagonal across the front to keep from having to try to clean
back underneath and then across...but it's pretty deep area back to the
wall behind the hanger rails. Might even consider a back there to
prevent stuff being pushed back to the point it's almost unaccessible
excepting for perhaps a few specific bulky items that might just be able
to be stored there that aren't high use elsewhere.

Making use of corners is a difficult problem...in the kitchen cabinet
corner, dad and I built in a lazy susan--nothing unusual in that except
we took out a good-sized square from the shelves so could move the
center pole out and have the overall shelf diameter fill the entire area
instead of centering a full shelf in the middle as a standard
off-the-shelf one is done. Increased overall storage and accessiblility
a bunch because the shelves rotate out of the opening by 8" or so and
thus have access to stuff back in the middle without digging through
what is in front--and the cutout also gives access to the two lower
shelves directly.

Of course, it took some extra engineering and the use of Krause one-way
plow thrust bearings to hold the load, but as you're fond of
demonstrating in a lot of your items, one can climb on it and have no
fear of failure...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

As long as you brought it up...

Could drawer clearance have been provided if you had hung the back cabinet
on the wall instead of having sides that came down to the floor?

I'm not saying it would have been worth it,just asking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 10:35:18 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

John mentioned the object in the far left corner. If he meant the left
corner as you face your side, it looks like there is something back
there.

To me, it looks like one end of a cardboard shipping tube.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 6:23:46 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/30/2019 4:19 PM, I wrote:

John mentioned the object in the far left corner. If he meant the left
corner as you face your side, it looks like there is something back
there.

To me, it looks like one end of a cardboard shipping tube.

Look at the "hers" view and you'll see a purple/blue robe(?) tie hanging
down over the far end. That's what you see in the center view on the
left rear.

--

How could John (or anyone) mistake that for a floor vent?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 6:27:24 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/30/2019 4:15 PM, I wrote:

Could drawer clearance have been provided if you had hung the back cabinet
on the wall instead of having sides that came down to the floor?

Could clear the drawers, but then either they would be longer than the
hanging areas or the cabinet would occlude the front of the hanging area
if it were full length/longer.

Corners and shelves/cabinets just don't mesh well even after all these
years. There is no ideal solution to the "hole".

--

Other than storing skeletons. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2019 5:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 6:27:24 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

Corners and shelves/cabinets just don't mesh well even after all these
years. There is no ideal solution to the "hole".

--

Other than storing skeletons. ;-)

Personally I don't have any of those; but any that did would likely be
four-legged and hard to stand on end...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Good point and I did re work the drawings several times. This was
ultimately simpler when considering the full purpose of the upper
cabinets. We demo'ed the shelves and hanger rods that the builder put
in. All of that was caulked and painted with the same color paint as
the new cabinets have. The cabinets, first off, hides the less than
stellar repairs of cutting all of those caulk lines. Not horrible but a
closer look shows the previous locations of the shelves. You can ever
see them on the walls in the pictures, if you zoom in close enough.
Next the top swing down hanger rods in the closed position are very
close to 100" above the floor. T mount those swing down hangers on the
wall would have required for the arms to be in constant tension, leaning
out at all times to provide room on the inner side of the clothes rod.
The upper section sides actually stop on top of the drawer units. I had
door ways and sharp turns to make and had to limit my cabinets size so
that I could actually get them into the closet. So basically no cabinet
was taller than the door opening, together top and bottom are close to
9' tall.
And ultimately the upper swing down hanger rods come down to about 5',
so thee would still have been interference.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2019 4:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

Wow you really zoomed in on that picture. LOL. No what you see it one
of the two stair hand rails with the steel hook on the top end. As
mentioned previously, those are to break out the garden bath window
should we need to escape the house quickly. They are just over 6' long.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/30/2019 9:48 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/30/2019 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/29/2019 4:43 PM, wrote:

ps :Â* what is in the far left cornerÂ* -Â* floor air ventÂ*Â* methinks ?

Â*Â*Â* John T.

Thank you

No floor vents, just blank space.Â* Why not fill the wardrobe to the
wall?Â* There would have been no clearance for the drawers to clear the
center back cabinet.Â* Same goes for the right side.Â* We will certainly
find something to stick back in those corners, I'm, thinking small
shelves.

Yeah, otherwise those are going to be dust bunny havens.Â* Probably a
solid base diagonal across the front to keep from having to try to clean
back underneath and then across...but it's pretty deep area back to the
wall behind the hanger rails.Â* Might even consider a back there to
prevent stuff being pushed back to the point it's almost unaccessible
excepting for perhaps a few specific bulky items that might just be able
to be stored there that aren't high use elsewhere.

Making use of corners is a difficult problem...in the kitchen cabinet
corner, dad and I built in a lazy susan--nothing unusual in that except
we took out a good-sized square from the shelves so could move the
center pole out and have the overall shelf diameter fill the entire area
instead of centering a full shelf in the middle as a standard
off-the-shelf one is done.Â* Increased overall storage and accessiblility
a bunch because the shelves rotate out of the opening by 8" or so and
thus have access to stuff back in the middle without digging through
what is in front--and the cutout also gives access to the two lower
shelves directly.

Of course, it took some extra engineering and the use of Krause one-way
plow thrust bearings to hold the load, but as you're fond of
demonstrating in a lot of your items, one can climb on it and have no
fear of failure...

--

So the dust bunnies have crossed out minds more than once. That area,
on both sides, is larger than it appears. The tiles including 1 grout

The clearance from the end of the side cabinets to the wall is just over
12" and the clearance between the back center cabinet side and the
drawer unit front is approximately 5". We have tried successfully to
sweep that area with a small dust broom. Not a problem.

As as strange as this sounds, when we emptied the closet to do the demo
there was surprisingly little dust in the corners and or under the
bottom row of clothes. Almost 9 years of never sweeping or vacuuming in
that closet. I will say however that we have had a robot vacuum cleaner
before and ever since we moved in. It runs 5 days a week so little dust
builds up anywhere. Well, except for the 9 ceiling fan blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 11:42:47 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 8/30/2019 9:48 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/30/2019 9:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/29/2019 4:43 PM, wrote:

[...]

Or just cut some carpet squares to fit. Dust bunnies be gone!

Every now and then (and by that I mean "never") take them out and
vacuum them. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2019 10:42 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/30/2019 9:48 AM, dpb wrote:

Yeah, otherwise those are going to be dust bunny havens. ...

So the dust bunnies have crossed out minds more than once.Â* That area,
on both sides, is larger than it appears.Â* The tiles including 1 grout
line ate approximately 14" wide.

The clearance from the end of the side cabinets to the wall is just over
12" and the clearance between the back center cabinet side and the
drawer unit front is approximately 5".Â* We have tried successfully to
sweep that area with a small dust broom.Â* Not a problem.

As as strange as this sounds, when we emptied the closet to do the demo
there was surprisingly little dust in the corners and or under the
bottom row of clothes.Â* Almost 9 years of never sweeping or vacuuming in
that closet.Â* I will say however that we have had a robot vacuum cleaner
before and ever since we moved in.Â* It runs 5 days a week so little dust
builds up anywhere.Â* Well, except for the 9 ceiling fan blades.

The hard flooring makes cleaning up a little easier other than the grout
lines, so may not be too bad.

Undoubtedly it helps a lot to not be in middle of miles of farmed ground
all around in a _much_ drier climate to minimize dust/dirt sources...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 13:21:35 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 9/1/2019 10:42 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/30/2019 9:48 AM, dpb wrote:

[...]

A high percentage of dust, particularly in dry climates and the Winter
in most of the country is dead, shed, skin. Not a pleasant thought
but rather unavoidable, too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/1/2019 10:42 AM, Leon wrote:
On 8/30/2019 9:48 AM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Grandma had a say after looking under the bed, "Someone is either
coming or going" (checking my moms cleaning).