Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it the saw, the blade or me?

Greetings

Been having trouble with circular saws. I have a Skill 5150, which
works well "for some values". Specifically, the saw blade will bind
and start to spin. Not good.

Got a replacement 5155 at Yon Local Pawn Shoppe, and while the
blade it came with gives no problem, when I swapped the rough cut
blade for the regular blade I had (the one which spun) - it too would
stick and spin. I was trying to cut masonite" - tempered hardboard
they call these days.
Two things I'd noted - label on this saw says "to prevent
kickback", tighten the retaining bolt a "1/8 turn past finger tight".
This is a new one to me.
Also, the blade I had is a thin blade, all steel with no carbide
teeth. the question I'm asking myself "Could it be that this blade is
'too thin' for this setup?" as in, the saw can't get a grip on it.

Other than that, it works fine, and I did manage to make the cuts
need for today.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 19:36:11 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Did you try putting a washer under the retaining bolt?
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

The common factor, at least from the tests you present, seem to place the
blame on the thin blade not being clamped in place. A test would be to try
another thin blade and see if the pattern holds. If you are serious about
continuing to use thin blades (I like them myself) with this saw, a set of
"blade stiffeners" might be in order. Lee Valley makes a nicely-machined
set but I'm not sure they would work with your arbor and do cost $20 so
they might not be the first choice if you are not splurging. I do use them
on my TS with thin-kerf blades.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Wed, 28 Aug 2019 23:55:35
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:

[...]

The saw did not come with one; the blade it had worked. I'm
starting to think it might be that the blade, being of the inexpensive
sort, is a bit on the thin side, so doesn't get held as tightly.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McGaw on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 14:34:44 -0400 typed
[...]

Thanks. May , uhh , "salvage" the one off the old saw.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McGaw on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 14:34:44 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
Greetings

snip...

Thanks. May , uhh , "salvage" the one off the old saw.

That's the attitude -- never throw anything away because you will probably
need it the day after you do. Every now and then I have to excavate my shop
so that I can get to the Robland...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 7:36:26 PM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

Been having trouble with circular saws. I have a Skill 5150, which
works well "for some values". Specifically, the saw blade will bind
and start to spin.

There's a double-D pair of flats on the shaft, that engage the retaining/
clamping flange so blade torque can't loosen the screw?

If the retaining screw and flange can tighten down onto
a zero-thickness blade, it has plenty of pressure against the
thin blade, I suspect. But, that requires the
shaft and flange have enough engagement. It should be easy to test
(and don't forget, a bit of sawdust in the blind hole that retaining
screw goes into, can also get in the way).
Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 19:36:11 -0700 (PDT)
typed in rec.woodworking the following:
On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 7:36:26 PM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Greetings

Been having trouble with circular saws. I have a Skill 5150, which
works well "for some values". Specifically, the saw blade will bind
and start to spin.

There's a double-D pair of flats on the shaft, that engage the retaining/
clamping flange so blade torque can't loosen the screw?

If the retaining screw and flange can tighten down onto
a zero-thickness blade, it has plenty of pressure against the
thin blade, I suspect. But, that requires the
shaft and flange have enough engagement. It should be easy to test
(and don't forget, a bit of sawdust in the blind hole that retaining
screw goes into, can also get in the way).

All things considered, getting a "new" saw was simpler. Only, I
have the same problem (just to a lesser degree) but this one is nicer.
I'm still kicking myself for letting the Makita get away at a
garage sale.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McGaw on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 18:20:51 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
John McGaw on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 14:34:44 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
Greetings

snip...

Thanks. May , uhh , "salvage" the one off the old saw.

That's the attitude -- never throw anything away because you will probably
need it the day after you do. Every now and then I have to excavate my shop
so that I can get to the Robland...

I'm in the middle of moving my shop. One reason is, while I know
I probably have one of "those" I can't find or get to it. (Last time
I moved, I found two soldering irons, still in their display
packaging.)

Once upon a time, I had a rather extensive collection of copper
and brass "bits", keys, this's and that's.. Which I intended to use
some day. Wound up selling most of it to a recycler, which put some
cash in my pocket.
Now I've started all over, but I have fewer sources of supply.
(But you should see my stack of pallets!) "Some day ..."

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 11:11:58 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
....snip...

I'm in the middle of moving my shop. One reason is, while I know
I probably have one of "those" I can't find or get to it. (Last time
I moved, I found two soldering irons, still in their display
packaging.)

....snip...

It not uncommon for an alcoholic/addict to believe that if they "move"
they'll be able to stop drinking/using. "I just need to get away from
here/them/this and I'll be OK."

It turns out that no matter where they go, they take themselves and
therefore, their behaviors, with them.

I think the same thing applies to losing stuff in a shop. I could move
my shop, make it bigger, throw it all away and start over. It probably
wouldn't matter. Unless I change *me*, the location of my shop isn't
going to make a bit of difference in how organized it is.

€œWe admitted we were powerless over our messiness €” that our shops had
become unmanageable."

;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

on Fri, 30 Aug 2019 14:56:51 -0700 (PDT) typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 11:11:58 AM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:
...snip...

I'm in the middle of moving my shop. One reason is, while I know
I probably have one of "those" I can't find or get to it. (Last time
I moved, I found two soldering irons, still in their display
packaging.)

...snip...

It not uncommon for an alcoholic/addict to believe that if they "move"
they'll be able to stop drinking/using. "I just need to get away from
here/them/this and I'll be OK."

It turns out that no matter where they go, they take themselves and
therefore, their behaviors, with them.

The monks have a saying "a lace will not save you". Meaning, juts
that, it isn't the location, but what you bring with you, which is the
problem.

I think the same thing applies to losing stuff in a shop. I could move
my shop, make it bigger, throw it all away and start over. It probably
wouldn't matter. Unless I change *me*, the location of my shop isn't
going to make a bit of difference in how organized it is.

In this case, I'm moving the shop, because I want to unpack the
office. See the blue shed was built first, and it worked, but I then
wound up storing most of my books etc in the revamped green shed. So
to get to the books, I need to empty out the green shed, but first, I
have to empty out the blue shed, so the stuff in the green shed will
have someplace to go. And then do something about all the stuff in
the carport, which ...

If I win the lottery jackpot, I'll have the same problems, just at
a higher cash flow level.

“We admitted we were powerless over our messiness — that our shops had
become unmanageable."

;-)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 22:26:10 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

If you win a big enough lottery you get to make it someone else's
problem. Hey, you, you, and you, clean out the blue shed . . .

“We admitted we were powerless over our messiness — that our shops had
become unmanageable."

;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Sat, 31 Aug 2019 07:33:51
wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah. I get to hire someone to do the picking up and putting
down. Now in addition to having to find the time for the directing,
_now_I have to find time to take care of payroll! It never ends. B-)

I'll also be saying "load that on the truck to Goodwill" because
I'm expecting a delivery from Grizzly / Grangier / Haas tomorrow.
And so it goes. Still can't find anything, but it is a higher
quality of stuff I'm looking for.

“We admitted we were powerless over our messiness — that our shops had
become unmanageable."

;-)

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Nahh, you hire somebody to do that, too.