Posted to rec.woodworking

Default To Nailshooter

Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill. If you are going to be a professional painter, that's
called a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My
news provider didn't have them, but Google still did).
Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in
handy again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to
help wash the paint out of your angled brush! ; ) It's a
"magic" ingredient.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 4:25:42 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill. If you are going to be a professional painter, that's
called a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My
news provider didn't have them, but Google still did).
Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in
handy again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to
help wash the paint out of your angled brush! ; ) It's a
"magic" ingredient.

Bill

Robert uses angled brushes to paint gable facia. :-)

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 5:25:42 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill. If you are going to be a professional painter, that's
called a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My
news provider didn't have them, but Google still did).
Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in
handy again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to
help wash the paint out of your angled brush! ; ) It's a
"magic" ingredient.

Bill

Now, wouldn't that depend on the type of paint used?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2019 5:25 PM, Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill.Â* If you are going to be a professional painter, that's called
a sash brush, not an angled brush.

I have two, one at each angle so I can use one on the upper sash and the
other on the lower sash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 8:33:22 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/8/2019 5:25 PM, Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill.Â* If you are going to be a professional painter, that's called
a sash brush, not an angled brush.

I have two, one at each angle so I can use one on the upper sash and the
other on the lower sash.

You must be very well coordinated. Have you put anything on youtube yet? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 20:33:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/8/2019 5:25 PM, Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill.* If you are going to be a professional painter, that's called
a sash brush, not an angled brush.

I have two, one at each angle so I can use one on the upper sash and the
other on the lower sash.

Do you have both left and right handed crescent wrenches, too?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill. If you are going to be a professional painter, that's
called a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My
news provider didn't have them, but Google still did).
Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in
handy again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to
help wash the paint out of your angled brush! ; ) It's a
"magic" ingredient.

Bill

Now, wouldn't that depend on the type of paint used?

It probably only works on latex (I haven't risen to the rank of
"professional" painter yet). If you've got something else, like
oil-based point, you'll probably have to find another magic
ingredient. Sorry, can't help ya! : ) I went so long without
knowing I should have been using detergent to help clean up--that
I'm still angry about it! Think of those long hours with my back
arched over the sink... ha.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nailshooter wrote:

[...]

I'm no professional either, but it's detergent for latex, mineral spirits for oil.

You don't need a gallon of spirits per brush. I use a method similar to this 1/8"
method. I also let the solids settle out and reuse the mineral spirits several times.
I don't know what cleaning method a pro uses, but they do use mineral spirits in
any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvDbKBTbic

And in case you didn't know, you can wrap your brushes in plastic wrap so you don't
have to clean them if you'll be using them again in the next day or two. Just seal them
up good.

Once clean, store your brushes in the cardboard that they came in. That will help maintain
the shape. It's ok to put them in the cardboard while still wet. You want to let the cardboard
"reshape" them as they dry.

If you buy quality brushes and maintain them properly, they will last many years.

Nailshooter wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 6:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You don't need a gallon of spirits per brush. I use a method similar to this 1/8"
method. I also let the solids settle out and reuse the mineral spirits several times.
I don't know what cleaning method a pro uses, but they do use mineral spirits in
any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvDbKBTbic

Same except I use a paint spinner.

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

Also, I use the used thinner for initial cleaning, and pour that into a
3rd container until done cleaning so it doesn't contaminate the "clean"
used thinner. I only use new thinner for the final cleaning, normally
the 2nd or 3rd spin. I spin them into a large can or even a cardboard
box. Latex I spin outside if not too cold out, or in the basement sink.

My good brushes are 3-4 times as old as his, and still good as new as
long as my wife doesn't get her hands on them.

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use
your brushes. My wife uses brushes one time only, cleaning them is not
her thing.

Also. I like to use glass containers for my used thinner, that way I can
see how clear and settled the thinner is.

Interestingly, lacquer thinner cleans well, but unlike mineral spirits,
never lets the paint settle out. It stays suspended forever, or years at
least.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:03:37 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
On 8/9/2019 6:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You don't need a gallon of spirits per brush. I use a method similar to this 1/8"
method. I also let the solids settle out and reuse the mineral spirits several times.
I don't know what cleaning method a pro uses, but they do use mineral spirits in
any case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvDbKBTbic

Same except I use a paint spinner.

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

Also, I use the used thinner for initial cleaning, and pour that into a
3rd container until done cleaning so it doesn't contaminate the "clean"
used thinner. I only use new thinner for the final cleaning, normally
the 2nd or 3rd spin. I spin them into a large can or even a cardboard
box. Latex I spin outside if not too cold out, or in the basement sink.

I use the same 3 container process.

I carefully pour the liquid off the top of the settling jar into my "used
thinner" jar. I pour a little of the used thinner into a clean jar for each cleaning pass. After each pass, I pour the newly-used thinner into the
storage/settling jar and then wipe out the cleaning jar so I can tell when
the brush stops releasing paint.

My good brushes are 3-4 times as old as his, and still good as new as
long as my wife doesn't get her hands on them.

Ditto

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use
your brushes.

If a spinner is a *must*, I just can't figure out why I have brushes that
are decades old and still work like new.

My wife uses brushes one time only, cleaning them is not her thing.

SWMBO marvels at how well my good brushes work but doesn't clean them very
well. When I can, I clean them for her. When one gets trashed I write it
off against all the other good things that she does for me. Fighting over
a paint brush is a ridiculous battle to pick. ;-)

Also. I like to use glass containers for my used thinner, that way I can
see how clear and settled the thinner is.

Same.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/8/2019 4:25 PM, Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill.Â* If you are going to be a professional painter, that's called
a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My news
provider didn't have them, but Google still did).
Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in handy
again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to help
wash the paint out of your angled brush!Â*Â* ; )Â* It's a "magic" ingredient.

Bill

Bill, What were you using instead of dish washing detergent? FWIW very
warm water is very helpful too.

Also FWIW don't use dish washing detergent, water, hand soap to wash OIL
based paint out of your brush.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 9:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Hummm I must be doing it wrong with my 15 + year old brushes. ;~) I
only use 2 containers. I don't pour the clear off of the setteled
paint. I simply don't dip the brush that deep. Then I put a little
spirits in a clean empty can and do the final rinse. That material goes
into the first jar when done. Then soap and water to finish the job off.

I carefully pour the liquid off the top of the settling jar into my "used
thinner" jar. I pour a little of the used thinner into a clean jar for each cleaning pass. After each pass, I pour the newly-used thinner into the
storage/settling jar and then wipe out the cleaning jar so I can tell when
the brush stops releasing paint.

My good brushes are 3-4 times as old as his, and still good as new as
long as my wife doesn't get her hands on them.

Ditto

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use
your brushes.

I get by with out a spinner but wish I could find one.

If a spinner is a *must*, I just can't figure out why I have brushes that
are decades old and still work like new.

You know how the brushes get harder and stiffer near the ferrel? Paint
naturally wicks up the bristles to the handle, especially when you have
the brush pointed UP.
The spinner helps to sling the paint/cleaning agent out of that area,
much easier than slinging the brush.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 10:51:41 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

And yet we've both survived without one. ;-)

My fear (probably unfounded and based on absolutely no experience) is that
the spinner will deform the brush, mainly on the outer bristles. Then I'll
be pulling out the scissor and giving it a haircut. If it spreads out the
rest of the bristles, the brush is cooked.

Like I said: probably unfounded and based on absolutely no experience.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 10:22 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. BUT about 20 years ago a friend and I got into painting
rental property and a few regular homes, we probably painted the
interiors of 20+ houses. He had a spinner and it was wonderful, and
then he lost it. That was not a happy day.

My fear (probably unfounded and based on absolutely no experience) is that
the spinner will deform the brush, mainly on the outer bristles. Then I'll
be pulling out the scissor and giving it a haircut. If it spreads out the
rest of the bristles, the brush is cooked.

No it does not spin very fast, you bend the bristles more with normal
use and or cleaning.

Like I said: probably unfounded and based on absolutely no experience.

Its a tool you have to see and or experience. Like a Domino. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 12:07:35 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well, Jack posted this, so they're not very hard to find.

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

The full link if you'd prefer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...6006/202564315
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 09:51:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I get by with out a spinner but wish I could find one.

I got mine at Lowes actually, work for roller sleeves too.

https://www.purdy.com/products/acces...oller-spinner/

Hope that helps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 13:07:51 -0500, Markem wrote:

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 09:51:23 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

I get by with out a spinner but wish I could find one.

I got mine at Lowes actually, work for roller sleeves too.

https://www.purdy.com/products/acces...oller-spinner/

Hope that helps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Select-Brush-and-Roller-Cleaner-HD-6006/202564315
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 12:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Except every time I wanted to buy one they were out. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/9/2019 12:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

The full link if you'd prefer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...6006/202564315

Except every time I wanted to buy one they were out.Â* ;~)

The Purdy one is only a buck or two more (online) and built much more
stoutly...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 6:30:03 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Amazon has 4 different brands. I could have one by Sunday if I order soon.

Want me to drop it off?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brush+and...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Do you have both left and right handed crescent wrenches, too?

Amateur.Â* There is no difference with left and right, it's metric
or imperial.

I keep them in separate tool boxes. Probably close to the
smartest thing I ever did.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 10:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:03:37 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use
your brushes.

If a spinner is a *must*, I just can't figure out why I have brushes that
are decades old and still work like new.

A "must" if you want to make the job easy and effective as possible. Not
a must as "can't live with out them"...

My wife uses brushes one time only, cleaning them is not her thing.

SWMBO marvels at how well my good brushes work but doesn't clean them very
well. When I can, I clean them for her. When one gets trashed I write it
off against all the other good things that she does for me. Fighting over
a paint brush is a ridiculous battle to pick. ;-)

Same, I don't fight with her about it, just try to get to the brushes
before they petrify.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 10:51 AM, Leon wrote:

The paint spinner is a must have if you do any painting and ever re-use
your brushes.

I get by with out a spinner but wish I could find one.

I got mine long before the internet. Saw a professional house painter
use one and asked where he got it, then got one. With the internet,
just do a search for paint spinner and you will find a bunch. That's
how I got the link for Home Depot, but there were plenty of matches.
--
Jack
An ounce of application is worth a ton of abstraction.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 6:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/9/2019 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/9/2019 12:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

The full link if you'd prefer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...6006/202564315

Except every time I wanted to buy one they were out. ;~)

The Purdy one is only a buck or two more (online) and built much more
stoutly...

HD is $10, Purdy on Amazon is $25. I got mine before HD or the internet
existed, and the only maintenance it ever needs is a spray of wd40 or
Bostik Top Cote on the screw mechanism. One would think the $25 Purdy
was better built, but you can never tell just by price, just an
indicator. If the Purdy is as good as mine, it would last Leon several
lifetimes...

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/10/2019 10:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/9/2019 6:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/9/2019 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/9/2019 12:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

The full link if you'd prefer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...6006/202564315

Except every time I wanted to buy one they were out.Â* ;~)

The Purdy one is only a buck or two more (online) and built much more
stoutly...

HD is $10, Purdy on Amazon is $25.Â* I got mine before HD or the internet
existed, and the only maintenance it ever needs is a spray of wd40 or
Bostik Top Cote on the screw mechanism.Â* One would think the $25 Purdy
was better built, but you can never tell just by price, just an
indicator.Â* If the Purdy is as good as mine, it would last Leon several
lifetimes...

Is this the one you have Jack? :~)

https://www.amazon.com/LARMHOI-Elect...ay&sr=8-6&th=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/9/2019 6:39 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/9/2019 5:29 PM, Leon wrote:
On 8/9/2019 12:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/y29mebhe

The full link if you'd prefer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...6006/202564315

Except every time I wanted to buy one they were out. ;~)

The Purdy one is only a buck or two more (online) and built much more
stoutly...

HD is $10, Purdy on Amazon is $25. I got mine before HD or the
internet existed, and the only maintenance it ever needs is a spray of
wd40 or Bostik Top Cote on the screw mechanism. One would think the
$25 Purdy was better built, but you can never tell just by price, just
an indicator. If the Purdy is as good as mine, it would last Leon
several lifetimes...

Is this the one you have Jack? :~)

https://www.amazon.com/LARMHOI-Elect...ay&sr=8-6&th=1

Close enough for Gov't work...
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

OK, Bill.Â* If you are going to be a professional painter, that's
called a sash brush, not an angled brush.

Robert, Had to look up your painting tips from 2 years ago (My
news provider didn't have them, but Google still did).
Just wanted to let you know that what I learned then is coming in
handy again.

Everyone else, don't forget to use some dish washing detergent to
help wash the paint out of your angled brush!Â*Â* ; )Â* It's a
"magic" ingredient.

Bill

By the way, if anyone is repainting exterior wood, they need one
of these (link below)--$9. After you've finished scraping and
are sure you are done, it will remove 30% more for you. However,
just as it will remove more old paint than you might expect, you
will get more water on you than you might expect--just letting
you know.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-B...SR-1/202514529

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 02:24:57 -0400, Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:
Nailshooter wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure it won't remove move than the pressure washer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

By the way, if anyone is repainting exterior wood, they need one
of these (link below)--$9. After you've finished scraping and
are sure you are done, it will remove 30% more for you. However,
just as it will remove more old paint than you might expect, you
will get more water on you than you might expect--just letting
you know.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-B...SR-1/202514529

I'm pretty sure it won't remove move than the pressure washer.

True, but this fit the size of the project I am working on and
was adequate for the job. And it was fast. : )