Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Portable CNC

Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a Shaper Origin when it became available. I think it is a well made machine by a well made company.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 16:18:54 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?
I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.

https://www.shapertools.com/

I just peed a little ...

John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?
I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.

https://www.shapertools.com/

I just peed a little ...

John T.

I know right? Like when I bought my Domino 11 years ago. Jeez has it
been that long? 6,000 plus domino tenons later I still love it, and
with DC it still looks new.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than just
glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does this thing
work as being handheld?

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

How does it work? Expensively...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 2:06:12 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than just
glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does this thing
work as being handheld?

--

I have the same question. The main video looked the user was simply following
a pattern while looking through a viewfinder. Having a pattern to follow is nice,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2019 1:06 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop,
has now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

Probably not.

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than just
glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does this thing
work as being handheld?

--

It is basically a router in a computerized holder. The front top has a
camera to view the special dotted tape on the work and a video screen to

You import drawings of what you want to cut or design on the onboard
screen and then cut.

The design shows a projected path to take and you follow that path. You
provide the coarse adjustment/movement and the onboard computer provides
the the fine resolution adjustments.
There is a circle on the screen and you simply push the tool so that the
circle is over the path on the screen. While the circle in on the path
the tool will adjust itself within that circle to cut in the correct
location. The spindle/motor moves independently of your guidance. If
you go too far off course the spindle will raise and not cut where it is
not suppose to cut.

It is basically a portable CNC machine. It has unlimited travel, being
portable. You can engrave a whole wood floor in a room.

Pricey, $2500. but a CNC can cost you tens of thousands of $s and you
are limited to the CNC's platform size.

Like the SawStop this tool has been floating around for 4~5 years in
limited production batches. It apparently is now available and ready
for prime time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2019 1:25 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/23/2019 2:06 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop,
has now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than
just glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does
this thing work as being handheld?

--

How does it work? Expensively...

It is not for every body but will aid woodworkers that are in a small
production setting.
I thought the Domino was expensive 11 years ago but as it turns out it
has afforded me the opportunity to boost my production speed many times
over. I have cut in excess of 10,000 mortises with it. Think about how
long it would take to cut just 1,000 mortises on a traditional
mortiser... ;~) I can accurately cut a clean mortise as quickly as
cutting a slot with a plate joiner.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than just
glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does this thing
work as being handheld?

--

I have the same question. The main video looked the user was simply following
a pattern while looking through a viewfinder. Having a pattern to follow is nice,
but you still gotta follow it. What am I missing?

The Spindle/motor portion of the tool moves independently, on it's own,
of your guidance.
You only keep the circle on the screen on the line to follow. The
spindle/motor moves X,Y,Z on its. own.
Watch a few video's and you will notice that the motor moves around in
different directions to stay dead on course. If you veer of too much
the spindle will raise automatically and not misscut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop, has
now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than just
glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does this thing
work as being handheld?

--

I have the same question. The main video looked the user was simply
following
a pattern while looking through a viewfinder. Having a pattern to
follow is nice,
but you still gotta follow it. What am I missing?

The Spindle/motor portion of the tool moves independently, on it's own,
of your guidance.
You only keep the circle on the screen on the line to follow.Â* The
spindle/motor moves X,Y,Z on its. own.
Watch a few video's and you will notice that the motor moves around in
different directions to stay dead on course.Â* If you veer of too much
the spindle will raise automatically and not misscut.

You have to watch closely to see the spindle move independent of the
operator's movements. Compare the motor to the clear guard.

Anyway the link below shows one of the cool features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZV4PXHSSU
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2019 4:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/23/2019 1:06 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Has anyone bought the Shaper Origin yet?

I see that the Festool parent company, the one that bought SawStop,
has now acquired the Shaper Origin.

So I guess you'll not be picking one up at Harbor Freight anytime real
soon now...

Probably not.

I hadn't heard of it before -- and didn't have time to do more than
just glance at the video so...at the risk of the obvious, how does
this thing work as being handheld?

--

It is basically a router in a computerized holder.Â* The front top has a
camera to view the special dotted tape on the work and a video screen to
see the field.

You import drawings of what you want to cut or design on the onboard
screen and then cut.

The design shows a projected path to take and you follow that path.Â* You
provide the coarse adjustment/movement and the onboard computer provides
the the fine resolution adjustments.
There is a circle on the screen and you simply push the tool so that the
circle is over the path on the screen.Â* While the circle in on the path
the tool will adjust itself within that circle to cut in the correct
location.Â* The spindle/motor moves independently of your guidance.Â* If
you go too far off course the spindle will raise and not cut where it is
not suppose to cut.

It is basically a portable CNC machine.Â* It has unlimited travel, being
portable.Â* You can engrave a whole wood floor in a room.

Pricey, $2500. but a CNC can cost you tens of thousands of $s and you
are limited to the CNC's platform size.

OK, makes sense. I hope they've got a lot better videos than that one I
watched to illustrate how it works--that one is pretty-much useless to
illustrate the machine (although the helper was/is nice eye candy).

Presuming it does work (as appears to) well, doesn't seem exorbitant for
that kind of technology and if one were doing that kind of engraving
professionally agree could easily pay for itself on one job.

Probably not too many just recreational/hobbyists will spring, but then
again, you can drop that much on a TS or other stationary machine pretty
easily, too, so they'll probably sell quite a few...

Be interesting to see if volume sales will bring price down some altho
one would expect not in near term and with the Festool pricing history
already to support it, they'll undoubtedly try to recap development
costs quickly for a while...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2019 5:53 PM, Leon wrote:

over. I have cut in excess of 10,000 mortises with it. Think about how
long it would take to cut just 1,000 mortises on a traditional
mortiser... ;~) I can accurately cut a clean mortise as quickly as
cutting a slot with a plate joiner.

Especially if you cut 4000 of them in the last 4 hours...

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/23/2019 8:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/23/2019 4:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/23/2019 1:06 PM, dpb wrote:
On 6/22/2019 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

the circle is over the path on the screen.Â* While the circle in on the
path the tool will adjust itself within that circle to cut in the
correct location.Â* The spindle/motor moves independently of your
guidance.Â* If you go too far off course the spindle will raise and not
cut where it is not suppose to cut.

It is basically a portable CNC machine.Â* It has unlimited travel,
being portable.Â* You can engrave a whole wood floor in a room.

Pricey, $2500. but a CNC can cost you tens of thousands of $s and you
are limited to the CNC's platform size.

OK, makes sense.Â* I hope they've got a lot better videos than that one I
watched to illustrate how it works--that one is pretty-much useless to
illustrate the machine (although the helper was/is nice eye candy).

If you go straight to YouTube and search Shaper Origin you will see a
lot of demo's and pros using the tool. I was in particular interested
in the flooring guy. He was using the tool to make and inlay medallions
on a pretty complex floor. I;m thinking it would make quick work for
inlay work on boxes and or sign making. And obviously odd shaped
furniture parts. I often have large radius arcs on my furniture. I
print out multiple templates on paper, align and glue those templates to
the work, cut with a jigsaw or band saw, and then sand, sand, sand.

Presuming it does work (as appears to) well, doesn't seem exorbitant for
that kind of technology and if one were doing that kind of engraving
professionally agree could easily pay for itself on one job.

Agreed, even a small traditional CNC machine starts in that range.

Probably not too many just recreational/hobbyists will spring, but then
again, you can drop that much on a TS or other stationary machine pretty
easily, too, so they'll probably sell quite a few...

Yeah. LOL

Be interesting to see if volume sales will bring price down some altho
one would expect not in near term and with the Festool pricing history
already to support it, they'll undoubtedly try to recap development
costs quickly for a while...

--

As I have mentioned I have been watching this tool evolve, like the
SawStop. When I first saw it on line it was being offered like a beta

With that said the web site, a few years ago, indicated that this tool
was being partnered with Rockler, AutoDesk, and Festool. IIRC this tool
was originally a Kick Start idea, I think. also I believe I read that
The parent company of Festool acquired the tool only a few months ago,
again I think.

So, I believe this tool will actually be around for quite some time. It
got the interest of a large company and sold it. It really fills a
niche for many Pro's.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/24/2019 6:16 AM, Jack wrote:
On 6/23/2019 5:53 PM, Leon wrote:

over.Â* I have cut in excess of 10,000 mortises with it.Â* Think about how
long it would take to cut just 1,000 mortises on a traditional
mortiser... ;~)Â* I can accurately cut a clean mortise as quickly as
cutting a slot with a plate joiner.

Especially if you cut 4000 of them in the last 4 hours...

LOL... Yeah. I do not think I have had a run of mortises that totaled
much over 2~3 hundred mortises at one time. While the Domino, the
smaller one I have, is much like a plate joiner in size, it is
relatively heavy. It does not feel heavy until I have cut a 100 plus
mortises. At that point I take a break and rest my right arm and hand. ;~)

HELP?????CNC PCB Drill Sammy Taggart Metalworking 8 April 24th 16 12:02 AM
HDMI Portable DVD Player, DIVX Portable DVD Player, Audio VideoPortable DVD Players [email protected] Electronics 0 February 26th 08 03:51 AM
CNC board listing Gunner Metalworking 1 September 3rd 03 10:16 PM
CNC computer c Metalworking 10 July 18th 03 04:31 AM
newbie question-plasma cutter and CNC systems Heidi Metalworking 2 July 18th 03 03:30 AM