Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody Need A Ladder?

"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

I have never seen a ladder like that before. I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders. NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:54:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

I have never seen a ladder like that before. I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders. NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!

I've seen 'em, I just have no desire to use 'em.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 14:04:21 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:54:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

I have never seen a ladder like that before.
I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders.
NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!

I've seen 'em, I just have no desire to use 'em.

Are there braces near the bottom for sideways support ?
.... or do the outside ladders spay-out wide ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2019 1:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

A better solution for replacing light bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/DocaPole-Exte...-1-spons&psc=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:54:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

I have never seen a ladder like that before.
I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders.
NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!

I've seen 'em, I just have no desire to use 'em.

Are there braces near the bottom for sideways support ?
... or do the outside ladders spay-out wide ?

Doesn't matter. Nothing is rigid/tight enough to make that thing
stable. No thanks. I'll pay the $65.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:54:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

I have never seen a ladder like that before.
I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders.
NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!

I've seen 'em, I just have no desire to use 'em.

Are there braces near the bottom for sideways support ?
... or do the outside ladders spay-out wide ?

Doesn't matter. Nothing is rigid/tight enough to make that thing
stable. No thanks. I'll pay the $65.

Stable is all relative. They are obviously stable enough to be made/sold by
a major ladder maker and carried by major tool suppliers.

https://www.grainger.com/product/4XP09

If they weren't stable, they wouldn't be readily available from well known
sources. OSHA doesn't seem to have a problem with them, although this link
refers to the wooden version.

Stable enough for me? Don't know, since I'd never use it in the manner shown
in that listing. (Neither would OSHA, based on that link)

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/shi...d_trestle.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 7:17:32 PM UTC-4, Just Wondering wrote:
On 6/4/2019 1:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

A better solution for replacing light bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/DocaPole-Exte...-1-spons&psc=1

That tool is only good for a very limited number of bulb styles and *only*
for those bulb styles. A ladder has so many more uses - assuming you're not
afraid to climb it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I
cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke
when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I
seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

.. wonder what a 24 footer weighs ?
The 16 footer in the link weighs 156 lbs !
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 18:33:44 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I
cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke
when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I
seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

Step ladders are one thing and extension ladders are another but that
contraption is just stupid dangerous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 3:54:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

I have never seen a ladder like that before.
I'm just familiar with step ladders and extension ladders.
NOT a step ladder with an extension ladder in the middle!

I've seen 'em, I just have no desire to use 'em.

Are there braces near the bottom for sideways support ?
... or do the outside ladders spay-out wide ?

Doesn't matter. Nothing is rigid/tight enough to make that thing
stable. No thanks. I'll pay the $65.

Stable is all relative. They are obviously stable enough to be made/sold by
a major ladder maker and carried by major tool suppliers.

So are Radial Arm Saws. ;-)

https://www.grainger.com/product/4XP09

If they weren't stable, they wouldn't be readily available from well known
sources. OSHA doesn't seem to have a problem with them, although this link
refers to the wooden version.

Stable enough for me? Don't know, since I'd never use it in the manner shown
in that listing. (Neither would OSHA, based on that link)

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/shi...d_trestle.html

I was wondering what the OSHA label for that thing looked like. Looks
like a Werner but I didn't look for it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

"Don't need it anymore."

Neither does anyone else. Let the homeowners change their own bulbs or fans.

Rent or buy some scaffolds (with wheels), it's cheaper, as a last resort.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 10:09:15 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

"Don't need it anymore."

Neither does anyone else. Let the homeowners change their own bulbs or fans.

Rent or buy some scaffolds (with wheels), it's cheaper, as a last resort.

Sonny

As long as you have room above the fixture, you can install one of these.

https://www.aladdinlightlift.com/wp-...gray_attic.jpg

Of course, you might need a ladder to install it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:33:45 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I
cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke
when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I
seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

I bought an 8 foot 1A single sided stepladder 20+ years ago. I thought it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. Which does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension Trestle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-8...7408/203134289

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 9:48:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:33:45 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I
cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke
when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I
seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

I bought an 8 foot 1A single sided stepladder 20+ years ago. I thought it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. Which does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension Trestle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-8...7408/203134289

The Craig's List ad starting this thread says "24 foot A-frame, good condition." While the one I posted is 8 foot. Home Depot also has the same ladder in 16 foot for $1169. I'm thinking the 24 foot referred to in the ad might be total height and the Home Depot ladder is 16 feet to the top of the A frame and then you add in the 8 foot straight up extension part to get to the 24 feet from the ad. Maybe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 10:53:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

According to Werner, the 16' trestle has a "reach" of 20' and an
"Approx. Overall Ladder Height (Open)" of 312" (26').

https://www.wernerco.com/us/products...00Series/E7416
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 11:07:30 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:33:45 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I
cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke
when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I
seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

I bought an 8 foot 1A single sided stepladder 20+ years ago. I thought it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. Which does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension Trestle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-8...7408/203134289

Stupid question: Is it intended that the user climb onto the
highest rungs? I'm guessing those are there so that you can
climb onto the sides of the base of the "regular part" of the
ladder, and use those rungs for "hanging on". What is correct?

According to OSHA Oregon, yes, it can be climbed.

https://osha.oregon.gov/OSHAPubs/3083.pdf

"Can the vertical extension section be climbed?

When approved by the manufacturer for this purpose, the extendable vertical
section can be climbed. Additional measures such as installing guy lines may
be required to ensure stability."

According to OSHA, once the vertical section extends at least 2 rungs above
the trestle it is no longer a step ladder.

This doc doesn't specifically say that you can climb the vertical section,
but it does at least allow you stand on the top step of the trestle portion..

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/2012-01-03
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Thank you! That's quite a document on ladders you have there!
I have Paul Hasluck's classic book,"The Handymans Guide", which
explains how to make your own ladder. As I recall, it is
advised to use greener wood for the rails than the rungs! : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 12:38:45 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Post a picture of yourself atop the 24' trestle extension ladder that you build
this weekend. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2019 10:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 10:09:15 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 2:39:39 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

"Don't need it anymore."

Neither does anyone else. Let the homeowners change their own bulbs or fans.

Rent or buy some scaffolds (with wheels), it's cheaper, as a last resort.

Sonny

As long as you have room above the fixture, you can install one of these.

https://www.aladdinlightlift.com/wp-...gray_attic.jpg

Of course, you might need a ladder to install it. ;-)

I personally think that if some one believes that someone would buy one
of these ladders, an NEVER climb the straight part; they are either a
government bureaucrat in thier ivory tower, or on drugs.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

I personally think that if some one believes that someone would
buy one of these ladders, an NEVER climb the straight part; they
are either a government bureaucrat in thier ivory tower, or on
drugs.

Where I grew up, if you were a kid on one of those ladders, there
would be 3 to 5 kids plotting the most interesting way to make
you fall off of it or to tip you over. And they would try to do
it too! A couple of times they dug a hole about 7 or 8 feet
deep, dropped a ladder in, and when they got an innocent victim
to walk down the ladder to take a look, they pulled out the
ladder, threw a piece of plywood over the top, and danced
mercilessly on top. I played the role of the victim once. Then
the race is on to find the next sucker. When the parent said the
hole had to be filled, naturally one kid was asked to step into
the hole when it was about 3 feet deep or so. And the sissy
screamed after he couldn't move his legs! Kids don't seem to
enjoy being outside as much as they used to... : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/4/2019 2:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

I'd buy if it came with a set of balls to climb to the top!!!

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2019 8:32 AM, Bill wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

I personally think that if some one believes that someone would buy
one of these ladders, an NEVER climb the straight part; they are
either a government bureaucrat in thier ivory tower, or on drugs.

Where I grew up, if you were a kid on one of those ladders, there would
be 3 to 5 kids plotting the most interesting way to make you fall off of
it or to tip you over.Â* And they would try to do it too!Â* A couple of
times they dug a hole about 7 or 8 feet deep, dropped a ladder in, and
when they got an innocent victim to walk down the ladder to take a look,
they pulled out the ladder, threw a piece of plywood over the top, and
danced mercilessly on top. I played the role of the victim once. Then
the race is on to find the next sucker. When the parent said the hole
had to be filled, naturally one kid was asked to step into the hole when
it was about 3 feet deep or so. And the sissy screamed after he couldn't
move his legs!Â* Kids don't seem to enjoy being outside as much as they
used to...Â*Â*Â* : )

In other words you had a normal child hood, before the nanny state took
over.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 12:52:06 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/4/2019 2:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

I'd buy if it came with a set of balls to climb to the top!!!

I'd climb to top...if it was lying down.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/tls...902303234.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 8:33:05 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

[...]

One of our favorite pastimes was a game that involved heavy breathing and
kicking.

The "victim" would lean forward at the waist and take deep, rapid breaths
until they felt dizzy. Then the "perpetrator" would stand behind the victim,
wrap their arms around his stomach and lift/squeeze until the victim passed
out.

After the victim was dropped to ground, the rest of us would give him a
few kicks just to make sure he wasn't faking.

Ah, the good ole days.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 16:14:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 12:52:06 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/4/2019 2:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

I'd buy if it came with a set of balls to climb to the top!!!

I'd climb to top...if it was lying down.

Wouldn't that be "walking to the end of it"?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 12:52:06 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/4/2019 2:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
"Good Condition". I'd buy it if the listing said "Perfect". ;-)

I'd buy if it came with a set of balls to climb to the top!!!

I'd climb to top...if it was lying down.

Wouldn't that be "walking to the end of it"?

Haven't I mentioned that I'm short?