Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/24/2019 9:20 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Jack writes:
On 5/23/2019 2:59 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 08:47:11 -0400, Jack wrote:

What I noticed was he has a nice TS with a sliding table, yet used his
bandsaw to cut up his blocks for the cutting board. Seemed wrong to me.

He does it for the thinner kerf. A considerable saving of expensive wood
over time.

I thought about that, and really, if you think about it, you get a rough
cut off a BS that requires planing/sanding.

That depends entirely on the quality of the bandsaw and the bandsaw blade.

Really? What make and models BS and blade cuts glue up quality joints?
That is not the purpose or design of any BS or blade I know, and even
if it could be done, it just isn't, far as I can tell. It's the wrong
tool for the job, and he definitely has the right tool, a high quality
table with sliding table.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/24/2019 7:11 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/23/2019 11:52 AM, Leon wrote:

The beauty to watching video's over and over is that you can catch parts
you missed when you doze off. ;~)

I record How the Universe Works, and Spaces Deepest Secrets. The shows
are pretty much garbage and boring, but they put me to sleep within 5
minutes. First, the videos are mostly fake, so you don't need to watch
them (videos of the big bang 14 million years ago, black holes which
you can't see, even IF they exist, and so on) This means you can just
close your eyes, and be put to sleep. I wake up in the middle of the
night, fast forward from the beginning 5 minutes (where I last fell
asleep) and wham, in minutes I'm back in dream land, and no drugs
needed. One show lasts at least a week before I delete it for a new
one:-)

You know there is a growing number of people, soon to be a majority of
people, that believe that the big bang was actually filmed as it
happened. A lot of these people are government leaders and those that
they have promised to take care of, to get their votes.

Yep, lots of complete morons around.

I was reading NextDoor, a local neighborhood information source. A
woman took several pictures of "earth worms" and asked the neighbors if
these were snakes. This is where we are headed.

I think we are there, not "headed". I watched a couple of "Louder with
Clouder" or whatever he calls his show on youtube and he goes to college
campuses and interviews anyone that will talk to him. Besides the
totally asinine views and stupidity of these left wing morons, what
stuck me even more was the totally slovenly appearance of all of them.
These kids look like losers to the nth degree, with bad attitudes, bad
personal hygiene, lack of respect for themselves and the world. A while
back there was a slogan, "the mind is a terrible thing to waste". Well,
seems our educational system combined with lousy parenting has brought
an incredible percent of our population to it's knees.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 1:09 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:

If you are into one pocket, the best ever is a recent match between
Tony Chohan and Dennis Orcolo. It was streamed by POV pool and is in
3 parts. Race to 30 for $50k. These are two of the best one pocket
players on earth, Tony probably number one.

I got through the "first day". It's race to 40, not 30--ha.

I think I said 30, but, it is some awesome one pocket. I have some links
to amazing 14-1 that any pool enthusiast should love, and it is fast
paced. I hate slow pool which is one gripe I have about one-pocket.
Tony is not slow I'm sure you noticed.

In you, or someone else wants to watch some good, fast paced straight
pool, check out these:
John Schmidt - 434 ball run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9hRHdA0A8
Josh Filler - 285 ball run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZo5doH0F2o

I'm going
to have to "pace" myself! ; ) Chohan is pretty intimidating, for a
pool player, a big guy.

Yes, he was out of the loop for a bunch of years, spent some time in the
Big House, for what I don't know, probably drugs or beating someone to a
pulp. He looks like you don't want to **** him off:-)

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 1:20 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2019 08:19:00 -0400, Jack wrote:

I thought about that, and really, if you think about it, you get a rough
cut off a BS that requires planing/sanding. Much better option is a
thin kerf blade on the table saw, that doesn't require any
sanding/planing for glue up. Much easier and any extra wood waste, if
any, is very marginal, and made up with time savings and accuracy.

He has thought about it and decided that it is cost effective.

I reckon. I thought about too, and still say it is the wrong tool for
the job.

He ran a production shop and started out with regular "hobbyist" tools and
did quality work. As his sales increased - I have ordered one of his boards
- he put the money back into better, and larger tools. And, if Festool
makes a tool he needs - he has it and considers it a good investment.

A few people do. No doubt, as I mentioned a zillion times Festering
tools are all good quality, as are lots of others. You noticed said I
mentioned festering tools just to play a little with Leon. Has nothing
at all to do with using a BS to cut glue joints...

He has now expanded into a small factory and has a retail store in Moscow.
He seems to know his business, and what he is doing since he is making money
and expanding.

Good for him. Hope he makes more than cutting boards...

Moreover, Scott is right. With the right bandsaw and the right blade -
assuming that the saw is tuned-up properly - one would be hard pressed to
tell the difference in cuts.

Possibly, but it is still the wrong tool for the job. I have a high
quality BS. What blade would you suggest that works well, and provides
a finished cut ready for glue up? I don't recall, but is he not sanding
his band sawn pieces for glue up? Possible I reckon, but highly, highly
unusual.

I doubt that Festool stays in business supplying a Status/Prestige market.
They stay in business because they supply a high quality tool that performs
its intended task exceptionally well - and for a long time.

YMMV, and obviously does.

No, my mileage is the same, I know festering tools are quality tools,
just over priced. If you're in a production shop, tool price is not a
big issue, but even then, their are even better industrial grade tools
that are better, more durable than Festering tools. I certainly don't
need a $600 vacuum cleaner in my shop, but would use it occasionally if
one were donated to me. Same with any of their tools. BTW, Scott
Phillips uses festering tools too, and also uses the BS for the wrong
things. He is a woodworking moron!

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 11:07 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2019 08:50:46 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 5/23/2019 8:53 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 09:56:40 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 5/22/2019 10:33 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2019 09:58:18 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/22/2019 9:06 AM, Jack wrote:
On 5/21/2019 1:58 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2019 09:03:58 -0400, Jack wrote:

I about completely
stopped watching anything on regular TV, and 99% of what I watch is on
Youtube. I like ABOM79 and David Richards Old Steam Powered Machine
Shop, but watch and subscribe to a few others machinist shows as well.

Check out mtmwood on Youtube. He doesn't do many videos now, however, he
went from a garage operation to a production plant doing end grain
cutting
boards. I especially like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVd-jxTmq4g

Yes, I believe I watched that one before. Very nice cutting board. Not
my style of shop though, too clean, too, neat, too many Festering tools.
(Through that in for Leon:-))

Thank you Jack. LOL. I am familiar with this guy too. I never noticed
the Festool till now though. I was more impressed with his large
stationary equipment.

Jack is just jealous - Festool envy.

Jack doesn't need any festering tools to get his work done, particularly
now with his dramatic decrease in work flow. Might buy the festering
Domino if in an active shop, even though it's super over priced. More
likely would spend the money on a nice drum sander. The $600 vacuum
though would be an embarrassment to own if everyone knew what it costs.

If Jack was going to waste money on any tools it would likely be on a TS
with a sliding table, I think that would be nice. Also would like a
larger jointer with segmented, spiral cutter head. Too old to justify
any of that stuff however. Fortunately, Jack has about every tool he
needs to build cabinets, tables, chairs, clocks, lamps, bird feeders,
and whirligigs. Been there, done all that, and no longer in the mood.

"Waste" money. You're clearly clueless (but I'm not telling anyone
anything new).

BTW, I don't "justify" hobbies. It's silly.

To a moron, perhaps.

I certainly don't justify anything to you. You wouldn't understand it
if I did. Too stupid.

Whirligigs are fun though if you are old and done with large projects.

Maybe you can handle one?

Two, I made two, and they work perfectly. I doubt you could handle one,
they take a modicum of skill, something not too many morons can muster.

Wow! I'm impressed! yawn

Sometimes I just go in my shop, sit there with a coffee and think, man
this might be the worlds greatest shop. Jealous? Not hardly.

You protest too much. Loser.

I'm sorry, you're right, I'm jealous with festering tool envy... You are
dumber than a rock.

Idiot.

Moron,

--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/21/2019 9:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/20/2019 1:08 PM, Jack wrote:

True dat. But, they ain't micrometers under a foot either, so 1/32"
marks in the first foot doesn't turn them into micrometers either, so
while the marks aren't needed in over a foot measurements, they're
also not needed under a foot measurements.

Not for you but what about others?

I only give MY opinions based on MY 60 years experience in woodworking.
Are you suggesting I give someone else's opinion?

Keep in mind I didn't say no tape on earth should ever have 1/32"
markings only in the first foot, only that MY opinion is those markings
are not needed (by me, nor has any one said they are) and that it is
HARD to find a short tape w/o those damned things. Also, why aren't they
there for over a foot, or at all on tapes over 25'?

Tape measures are used for many
things aside from woodwork. Surely you recognize that others have
different needs than you.

True enough, but always used in woodwork, which btw, is the focus of
this group. People needing finer than half way between 1/16", which is
easy for any woodworker to measure accurately enough for wood work, use
other means. For example, a machinist uses dial indicators, calibers
and so on. Woodworkers mostly use tapes.

If a woodworker truly needs fine measurements less than halfway between
1/16" they should rely on machinist measuring tools, rather than using a
magnifying glass to mark between 1/32" marks, and not bother ME with
that nonsense.

Again, this is MY opinion, not someone else's.

Surely you recognize that, don't you.

--
Jack
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack writes:
On 5/23/2019 2:59 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 08:47:11 -0400, Jack wrote:

What I noticed was he has a nice TS with a sliding table, yet used his
bandsaw to cut up his blocks for the cutting board.* Seemed wrong
to me.

He does it for the thinner kerf. A considerable saving of expensive
wood
over time.

I thought about that, and really, if you think about it, you get a rough
cut off a BS that requires planing/sanding.

That depends entirely on the quality of the bandsaw and the bandsaw
blade.

Really?* What make and models BS and blade cuts glue up quality joints?

Well, the Laguna BSs built in Italy. With the Resaw King blade. But I
agree, the TA probably more easily produces these type results.

*That is not the purpose or design of any BS or blade I know, and even
if it could be done, it just isn't, far as I can tell. It's the wrong
tool for the job, and he definitely has the right tool, a high quality
table with sliding table.

I visited the Minimax distributor several years ago in Austin. The
instructor was building a piece of furniture with nothing but a band
saw. Yes a nice piece of furniture.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 7:11 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Do you mean Louder With Crowder? If so...

I'm not picking sides, but I don't think it's fair to judge any particular
segment of society based on what you see on that show. I didn't know who
he was or what his show was about, so I looked him up:

"Steven Blake Crowder is a Canadian-American conservative political
commentator, actor, and comedian. He is the host of Louder with Crowder,
a late-night style comedic television show covering news, pop culture,
and politics."

My guess, if I take "conservative political commentator" and combine it
with "actor/comedian", is that there just might be a sight slant to his choice
of "guests" for his show. (Yes, I did watch a few minutes of a few shows.)

I know lots of recent college students, including 2 daughters with 3 Masters
degrees between them, a son's girlfriend who just got her PhD, and many of
their friends. Some of them are certainly more left leaning than right, but
there's not a "slovenly looking asinine loser" in the group.

Crowder (and others) will show his viewers who he wants them to see on the
hope that certain general opinions will be formed. I'll bet that if he
interviewed some of the college students that I know, they wouldn't make
the...I mean...*his* cut. They just don't fit the stereotype he is trying
to build.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 5/22/2019 9:06 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

You're right. You're a moron.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 7:11 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

I reckon that's him.

I'm not picking sides, but I don't think it's fair to judge any particular
segment of society based on what you see on that show. I didn't know who
he was or what his show was about, so I looked him up:

"Steven Blake Crowder is a Canadian-American conservative political
commentator, actor, and comedian. He is the host of Louder with Crowder,
a late-night style comedic television show covering news, pop culture,
and politics."

My guess, if I take "conservative political commentator" and combine it
with "actor/comedian", is that there just might be a sight slant to his choice
of "guests" for his show. (Yes, I did watch a few minutes of a few shows.)

Yes, I agree but, the two shows I watched were outside on a college
campuses. He could choose who he interviewed, but could NOT choose the
crowd of students milling about. He actually couldn't even choose who
he interviewed, he asked anyone that would talk to him to do so. That is
lots different than the interviews regular TV types that do the man on
the street type stuff where you see 6 interviews and all of them are
ridiculous. The answers they get that they don't like, or don't fit
their agenda hit the cutting room floor. He could just be really good at
it, but I don't think so, I think he just flies with whatever he gets.

I know lots of recent college students, including 2 daughters with 3 Masters
degrees between them, a son's girlfriend who just got her PhD, and many of
their friends. Some of them are certainly more left leaning than right, but
there's not a "slovenly looking asinine loser" in the group.

That's a small group in relation to the millions and millions of college
students. Anyway, I don't recall what was going on at the schools. He
set up a table and tried to get anyone he could to talk to him. It
could have been an anti-American rally for all I know.

Crowder (and others) will show his viewers who he wants them to see on the
hope that certain general opinions will be formed. I'll bet that if he
interviewed some of the college students that I know, they wouldn't make
the...I mean...*his* cut. They just don't fit the stereotype he is trying
to build.

That's true enough I reckon. I don't watch him, just parts of a couple
shows. He is not my style, but that's what I got out of what I saw. Your
comment on a woman asking if earth worms were snakes reminded me of the
morons I've seen on campuses, and particularly college professors I've
seen on TV. I've seen students and professors in the news protesting
conservative speakers, and they look like the same losers.

When I went to college, politics was not an issue, and you got in based
on academics, not race, sex, sexual habits or whatever they do today.
Probably could get in if mommy donated a wing or two to the school.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

I was reading NextDoor, a local neighborhood information source. A
woman took several pictures of "earth worms" and asked the neighbors if
these were snakes. This is where we are headed.

I think we are there, not "headed".

+1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOBAeaikFlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzoY92cPgYQ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 7:11 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

You must have me confused with someone else. I don't recall making any
comment related to women, earthworms or snakes.

I've seen students and professors in the news protesting
conservative speakers, and they look like the same losers.

When I went to college, politics was not an issue, and you got in based
on academics, not race, sex, sexual habits or whatever they do today.
Probably could get in if mommy donated a wing or two to the school.

--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/24/2019 7:11 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Did he talk to millions and millions of college students or was his sample as small
as mine?

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
Â*Â* I guess they figure if you measure more
than a foot, you don't need 1/32" accuracy.

I would rather "copy" a length than use a tape measure under those
circumstances.

I don't know what you mean by "copy" a length?Â* Are you saying
you don't use a tape if you need 1/32" accuracy over a foot
because there are no 1/32" markings?

In over 60 years of woodworking I have not found a need for those
1/32" measures in the first foot, they just get in the way.
Regardless of length, 6" or 20', I can put a mark half way
between two 1/16" lines. My 30' tapes don't have 1/32" marks, so
I guess they,(the morons making tapes) think accuracy is only
important in the first foot on short tapes.Â* Truth is, 1/32"
lines are mostly just an unnecessary nuisance both under and over
a foot measurements.

I had my H.F. tape measure out with me trimming hedges yesterday,
and thought of you folks and this thread. I wasn't using 32nds,
striving for a delta of 1" on either side of the porch. It's not
as easy as it sounds, the tape measure played a critical role in
my ultimate success--but what I really needed was a "transit"! I
guess in some sense I made one--if you are allowed to count
measuring off of the base of a window frame. It's not easy to
avoid "cosine error" while trying not laughing about it...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 4:56:00 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 5/19/2019 1:31 AM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

I remember my Dad trimming the hedges with scissors. We had this
kind of hedge in front of a NYC row house. Maybe 3 feet tall, 15
linear feet. This would have been too sloppy for my Dad, thus the
need for scissors.

https://tinyurl.com/NYC-HedgeBush

Full link:

https://static.turbosquid.com/Previe...2dOriginal.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 10:12:19 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
My old tape measure is just about done. I thought I'd get a Milwaukee since I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

Thanks.

stay away from the overly gimmicky rubber molded ones. the Komelon SL2816 is nice and cheap. the craftsman CMHT37316S is a standard. take a look at the markings on the blade and you'll know right away what to stay away from. I personally like the U.S. Tape 54533, it's a 33' and perfect for me because I use the metric part to layout booths for foreign customers at the convention center. the komeleon 4930lm is also nice but 30'. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=16+tape+m...f=nb_sb_noss_1