Old April 17th 19, 11:34 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions for Wheel Barrow Handles

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

Old April 17th 19, 02:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 6:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I was thinking the same about ash. It's very strong and durable but also
known for it's bending qualities, which is why they use them for bats. I
can't see going wrong with using it.
Old April 17th 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 8:26 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 4/17/2019 6:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle.** I don't
have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut
ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles?* I'm
suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats.** It's been a long
while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some
straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I was thinking the same about ash. It's very strong and durable but also
known for it's bending qualities, which is why they use them for bats. I
can't see going wrong with using it.

For the subject purpose it'll work well...

For major leagues, maple has supplanted ash (I saw somewhere a few years
ago that like 75% of MLB players were using it)...it's harder but still
"light enough" that can make a bat that can swing and the harder surface
results in higher exit velocity than ash...but I've also seen that
recently birch is making inroads and has been tested in summer leagues...

Louisville Slugger isn't even the dominant manufacturer in ML's any
more--Marucci is.

Is nothing sacred?

Old April 17th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:34:44 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

Just a suggestion...

When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little
more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even
more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B01H683DIO/

They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.

Old April 17th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 4:24:14 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little
more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even
more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B01H683DIO/

They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.

One of the few I made for Mom. There was a whale model, also.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I gave a few to the Master Gardeners for their fund raisers, also. Sold like hot cakes.

Sonny

Old April 18th 19, 07:20 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:34:44 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

Just a suggestion...

When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little
more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even
more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B01H683DIO/

They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.

More alternatives to traditional wheelbarrow:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/garden%2520cart?NCNI-5
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=garden+cart

Old April 18th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg
Old April 18th 19, 04:20 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2019 9:59 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a
thunderstorm with metal handles.
Old April 18th 19, 04:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a
thunderstorm with metal handles.

Yeah, and besides, I've met my quota, this month, for bought handles. Bought a shovel handle. yestiddy.

Sonny
Old April 18th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 13:59:47 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg

I saw fiberglass replacement handles somewhere too -- Can't find an
internet refference but I could swear I saw some at a show a number of
years back