Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions for Wheel Barrow Handles

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 6:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I was thinking the same about ash. It's very strong and durable but also
known for it's bending qualities, which is why they use them for bats. I
can't see going wrong with using it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 8:26 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 4/17/2019 6:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle.Â*Â* I don't
have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut
ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles?Â* I'm
suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats.Â*Â* It's been a long
while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some
straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I was thinking the same about ash. It's very strong and durable but also
known for it's bending qualities, which is why they use them for bats. I
can't see going wrong with using it.

For the subject purpose it'll work well...

For major leagues, maple has supplanted ash (I saw somewhere a few years
ago that like 75% of MLB players were using it)...it's harder but still
"light enough" that can make a bat that can swing and the harder surface
results in higher exit velocity than ash...but I've also seen that
recently birch is making inroads and has been tested in summer leagues...

Louisville Slugger isn't even the dominant manufacturer in ML's any
more--Marucci is.

Is nothing sacred?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:34:44 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

Just a suggestion...

When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little
more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even
more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B01H683DIO/

They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 4:24:14 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little
more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even
more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B01H683DIO/

They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.

One of the few I made for Mom. There was a whale model, also.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I gave a few to the Master Gardeners for their fund raisers, also. Sold like hot cakes.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 3:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 6:34:44 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

Just a suggestion...

When my wheel barrel sh*t the bed, I decided to try something a bit little
more suited for us older folks. I love it as does SWMBO. I love it even
more when SWMBO loves it instead of calling me to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...dp/B01H683DIO/

They come in all sorts of sizes and durabilties.

More alternatives to traditional wheelbarrow:
https://www.homedepot.com/s/garden%2520cart?NCNI-5
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=garden+cart

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2019 9:59 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a
thunderstorm with metal handles.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a
thunderstorm with metal handles.

Yeah, and besides, I've met my quota, this month, for bought handles. Bought a shovel handle. yestiddy.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 13:59:47 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg

I saw fiberglass replacement handles somewhere too -- Can't find an
internet refference but I could swear I saw some at a show a number of
years back

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a
thunderstorm with metal handles.

Just put an all steel wheel on it the the oldy-timey ones had. That
way it will be well grounded!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have
appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting
so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since
I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff
among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

Just a thought...

Do you need two wheel barrows? Cannibalize one to fix the other?

I just cannibalized a wheel barrow with a broken pan to fix two... my
brother's and my father's. Handles to one and the tire to the other.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 5:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I'm thinking construction grade 2x4.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 20:21:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/17/2019 5:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I'm thinking construction grade 2x4.

Good for a few loads but not worth the effort to install as they WILL
end up breaking - and the splinters are no fun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

another suggestion - steel replacement handeles

https://www.lowes.com/pd/True-Temper...Handle/1086223

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Truper-60-i...Handle/4363209
https://mobileimages.lowes.com/produ...5625031808.jpg

Not a good idea. Could not send my wife out to do the yard work in a
thunderstorm with metal handles.

Sure you could. ;-)

And with a two-wheeled unit you don't have to balance the load as carefully
when you haul her body out to the woods...errr...ummm...I mean...back to the
house.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles?

Cremona sez yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duSqjTcTbo
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:59:27 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles?

Cremona sez yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duSqjTcTbo

Awe, come on, now. Defected video!!! He should have lined the barrow with a little blanket or maybe some sawdust and given his helper a little ride.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles?

Cremona sez yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duSqjTcTbo

Awe, come on, now. Defected video!!! He should have lined the barrow with a little blanket or maybe some sawdust and given his helper a little ride.

Sonny

Hate to harp on it, but it seems to me that if he is going to use a
wheelbarrow to move those slabs around, he really should consider a
two wheeled unit. Balance becomes a non-issue, which is the main reason
that I like mine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 4/17/2019 5:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle. I don't have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles? I'm suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats. It's been a long while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I'm thinking construction grade 2x4.

Good for a few loads but not worth the effort to install as they WILL
end up breaking - and the splinters are no fun.

Yeah, nix that idea LOL. I forgot that they would have to be cut in half.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duSqjTcTbo

Awe, come on, now. Defected video!!! He should have lined the barrow with a little blanket or maybe some sawdust and given his helper a little ride.

He did, you must have blinked.

https://youtu.be/1duSqjTcTbo?t=722
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 2:57:47 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1duSqjTcTbo

Awe, come on, now. Defected video!!! He should have lined the barrow with a little blanket or maybe some sawdust and given his helper a little ride.

He did, you must have blinked.

https://youtu.be/1duSqjTcTbo?t=722

I did miss it. Probably answering the phone or something.

Sonny