Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

More info from Jeff, after receiving my pics. He wanted pics to verify (Registration) this machine. He replied,

" ref: S/N 74498-B

It is definitely a patternmakers jointer, and it even has a spring joint attachment."

(Arms tossed in air) I don't know what the spring joint attachment is, but I got it. LOL.

A: 12-111 table Lock Knob DK -6 $12.00
B: Unable to identify Knob with broken casting.
*this (above) piece/part is probably for some other non-Northfield machine at the auction.
C: Replace the JA-28 fork casting $116.00
D: Try welding the aluminum shield (cutter head guard).

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 3:58 PM, Sonny wrote:
More info from Jeff, after receiving my pics. He wanted pics to verify (Registration) this machine. He replied,

" ref: S/N 74498-B

It is definitely a patternmakers jointer, and it even has a spring joint attachment."

(Arms tossed in air) I don't know what the spring joint attachment is, but I got it. LOL.

It's an adjustable cam arrangement that drops the outfeed bed slightly
so that the edge is slightly convex. The idea was to be able to apply
more compression to ends of the glue joint that was supposed to let it
(the joint) withstand faster moisture loss from the ends than the
middle...unless one were working with material at pretty high moisture
levels or very wide pieces, my personal opinion is it's more of a dream
than reality in actual practice that it would make any demonstrable
difference.

I recall once ages ago when I first heard of it trying to find any
research supporting it on the US Forest Products Lab site and failing...

Let's see...gargle, gargle...oh! Northfield actually has a very nice
datasheet--I shoulda' just looked first and posted a link instead of
typing...

A: 12-111 table Lock Knob DK -6 $12.00
B: Unable to identify Knob with broken casting.
*this (above) piece/part is probably for some other non-Northfield machine at the auction.
C: Replace the JA-28 fork casting $116.00
D: Try welding the aluminum shield (cutter head guard).

"It's only money..."

I am still envious, though...you scored well here, indeed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 6:25 PM, dpb wrote:

Let's see...gargle, gargle...oh! Northfield actually has a very nice
datasheet--I shoulda' just looked first and posted a link instead of
typing...

Well, would help if I would attach the link...

http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...ttachments.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2019 10:57 AM, Sonny wrote:

You might notice the strapping (red ratchet and a rope) around the infeed table (on the trailer). I had loosened something, can't recall, and that table top moves a bit. I tied it steady for transport, will look into that looseness, later. I'm puzzled by that looseness. I did turn the raise/lower wheel, to see how the table assembly moves (smoothly). I may have not snugged the locking knob.

That is puzzling...just the locking knob loose shouldn't let the table
move noticeably at all--it needs to be snug enough to stay put when in
use so unless the adjusting ways are not even close to snug, that
shouldn't be the source. Then again, you say the table did raise/lower
easily, mayhaps somebody did back way off at some point because it did
get hard to move owing to regular maintenance/keeping lubricated and out
of the damp.

However, I'd guess maybe you accidentally in "loosening something"
loosened the locking mechanism for the draft tilt since it is on the
infeed side -- I have never had access to a pattern makers jointer of
any manufacturer, what more Northfield for the specific one so I'm not
sure just how that is put together and locked into position.

Wouldn't be any fun without any mysteries, though...

--dpb