Old April 15th 19, 03:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Northfield jointer nearby?

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:18:51 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Keep us posted...love the details!

Email reply from Northfield tech:

S/N 74498-B is a Northfield 16” HD Patternmakers Jointer, w/ 7.5HP Direct Motor Drive, 4-Knife Head, Hand Brake, Switch on Brake, 110 volt at PushButton, Table Locks, Front & Rear Guards & Two-way Tilting Fence. It left our plant on Jan 16, 1976 & shipped to The Thiocol Corp, ammo plant in Doyline, LA. It originally sold for $4,873.00 & we have not heard from it until now.

The fact that this is a Patternmaker poses problems for Infeed Table Remove..
Please call me & we can discuss it;

Regards
Jeff Machacek

Old April 15th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:47:35 AM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 3:18:51 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Keep us posted...love the details!

Email reply from Northfield tech:

S/N 74498-B is a Northfield 16” HD Patternmakers Jointer, w/ 7.5HP Direct Motor Drive, 4-Knife Head, Hand Brake, Switch on Brake, 110 volt at PushButton, Table Locks, Front & Rear Guards & Two-way Tilting Fence. It left our plant on Jan 16, 1976 & shipped to The Thiocol Corp, ammo plant in Doyline, LA. It originally sold for $4,873.00 & we have not heard from it until now.

ET didn't phone home? ;-)

The fact that this is a Patternmaker poses problems for Infeed Table Remove.
Please call me & we can discuss it;

Uh-Oh :-(

I hope this all works out for you. Keep us informed. Intriguing to say the
least.

Regards
Jeff Machacek

Old April 15th 19, 05:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:59:38 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Uh-Oh :-(

I hope this all works out for you. Keep us informed. Intriguing to say the
least.

Spoke to Jeff a bit ago. For transport (reducing the weight), I can remove the infeed table's top itself (6 bolts attachment), without removing the top's movable (pattern maker aspect) base. The out feed table will be easy to remove. With this weight reduction, I can load the bulk of the jointer on my smaller trailer.... parts & pieces in the back of my truck.

Jeff states, again, to bolt the base (feet) to 2X8s or 2X10s with 1/2" carriage bolts, to stabilize it on the trailer.... plus the strapping down across the legs' bases, not on the table's aspects. Lift it by the body, i.e., inside each leg and on each side of the (central) dust chute.

Seems easy enough.

Sonny
Old April 15th 19, 08:05 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/15/2019 11:15 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Kewl! 7.5HP, though, not just 3.5 or 5...you have direct 3PH service or
enough of converter to handle it already?

I thought that it probably was direct drive from the picture but
couldn't tell for certain.

And, yeah, you definitely don't want to pick up except from the bottom;
the tables aren't handles... Trying that will undoubtedly turn it
into nothing but scrap iron immediately.

That's totally awesome Northfield is still so responsive...makes what
happened to Delta and to somewhat lesser extent Powermatic even more
disappointing.

I'm envious...

Old April 15th 19, 08:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

dpb writes:
[...]

Adjusted for inflation, that's a $22,000 jointer..... Pretty much
out of the class of Rockwell/Delta or Powermatic tools; and not suprising
that they still support them.

Old April 16th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 2:33:56 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Adjusted for inflation, that's a $22,000 jointer..... Pretty much
out of the class of Rockwell/Delta or Powermatic tools; and not suprising
that they still support them.

This machine has issues, so its value is much lower than a functioning machine. I'll have to do some repairs, hopefully not major, and lots of cleaning, probably some adjusting of stuff, also, maybe. I need to "learn" the machine to figure out what needs tuning up, etc., if need be. I'm not familiar with this caliber of machine, but I'll learn.

For the time being, I searched for specs as to the machine's footprint, to drill holes in the 2X10 supports for transport. Didn't find specs, but found this video about Northfield. I'm impressed. I think I, now, know what Jeff looks like, should I need to contact him, again. Putting a face to a voice is nice. He obviously knows his stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z59Kp8SbbfM

Sonny
Old April 16th 19, 02:09 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z59Kp8SbbfM?autoplay=1&start=400&end=458
In the last seconds of the above clip Jeff says: "If you don't have a
pattern shop, don't buy one." So, is a 'pattern makers jointer' ONLY
for _angled_ jointing and is incapable of true 90deg edge jointing?
Old April 16th 19, 02:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2019 8:09 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/z59Kp8SbbfM?autoplay=1&start=400&end=458
In the last seconds of the above clip Jeff says: "If you don't have a
pattern shop, don't buy one." So, is a 'pattern makers jointer' ONLY
for _angled_ jointing and is incapable of true 90deg edge jointing?

A pattern makers jointer has a tilting infeed table mechanism (typically
+/-10 deg or so) for the draft needed for casting patterns. When the
table is set at zero draft, it operates just like any other but
obviously to produce such a beast (especially with 16" head/tables)
ain't a-gonna' be cheap. And, of course, it explains the extra
complication of removing the infeed table to ship.

What Jeff is saying is there's no need for the extra expense unless you
have the specific need. That this one happens to be is an extra bonus
for collectable whether Sonny will ever find a use for the feature or not.

Old April 16th 19, 03:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 8:25:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

That this one happens to be is an extra bonus
for collectable whether Sonny will ever find a use for the feature or not.

I don't and won't do production work. The machine was available, cheap, so I snapped it up. I'll likely rarely use it, except for simply surfacing, no pattern making. I'll likely set it at a permanent minimum cut and leave it at that setting.

I'm leaving now to go get it.

Sonny
Old April 16th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2019 9:51 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 8:25:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

That this one happens to be is an extra bonus
for collectable whether Sonny will ever find a use for the feature or not.

I don't and won't do production work. The machine was available, cheap, so I snapped it up. I'll likely rarely use it, except for simply surfacing, no pattern making. I'll likely set it at a permanent minimum cut and leave it at that setting.

I'm leaving now to go get it.

You be gone already, but...be careful!!!

--dpb