Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Band saws

I have an older bench top Sears band saw. I use it for quick cuts. I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2019 10:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw.Â*Â* I use it for quick cuts.Â* I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

Every thing I have read says yes. And a reason that manufacturers often
include a quick release for the tension. I believe that the unmentioned
blade lasts longer and the tires on the wheels are less likely to
develop low spots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 11:34:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 4/12/2019 10:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw.Â*Â* I use it for quick cuts.Â* I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

Every thing I have read says yes. And a reason that manufacturers often
include a quick release for the tension. I believe that the unmentioned
blade lasts longer and the tires on the wheels are less likely to
develop low spots.

Exactly. Always release the tension when you're done sawing.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:58:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw. I use it for quick cuts. I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

No, merely loosen the tension on the blade.
You can make a jig to do that for you. All you need is a bracket, a wedge and an all-thread rod. These are all made from scrap around your shop. Make a three sided bracket that will fit on the place where your tensioner adjuster. This does not need to be all that tall. Drill a hole for the all-thread to go through and glue a 1x1 to the backside of the bracket, on top of course. Get a solid 1.25 x1.25 piece about two feet long. About 1.5" back from one end, drill for the all-tread to pass through. Round over the bottom edge of the piece on the front end, so it will be able to pivot up and down. Secure the all-thread against the bar, snug. but not tight. With the bandsaw blade slacked, move the bar up on the wedge iin the back and then put as much tension on the blade as you want to carry. When you slide the bar off the wedge in the back your blade is slacked enough to not cause it to stretch.

Hope it helps.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 11:33:58 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/12/2019 10:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw.** I use it for quick cuts.* I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

Every thing I have read says yes. And a reason that manufacturers often
include a quick release for the tension. I believe that the unmentioned
blade lasts longer and the tires on the wheels are less likely to
develop low spots.

The flates are the biggest issue, for sure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 1:10:02 PM UTC-4, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:58:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw. I use it for quick cuts. I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre

No, merely loosen the tension on the blade.

ummm...I believe that that is what he asked, so the answer is Yes,
not No. ;-)

[...]

If it's the same style of Craftsman's band saw that I have, an external
tensioner would be advantageous. The tension indicator on mine is inside
the body of the saw. It's just a line molded into the case which you
use to visually line up a large washer on the tensioning rod. The knob
is external to the saw, but the indicator is inside. It's not really set
up for de-tensioning/re-tensioning between uses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2019 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/12/2019 10:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw. I use it for quick cuts.
I don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

Every thing I have read says yes. And a reason that manufacturers often
include a quick release for the tension. I believe that the unmentioned
blade lasts longer and the tires on the wheels are less likely to
develop low spots.

I agree although I have never in the last 44 years released the tension
on my saw unless changing a blade, with no noticeable detrimental
effects. I doubt very much the previous owner did either. It's not a
Sears saw though.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have an older bench top Sears band saw. I use it for quick cuts. I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on
the blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

This type question generated a number of responses when posted on Saw
Mill Creek. Split decision.

I have a Rikon band saw and looked at the User Manuel today and it
says nothing about the need to release the tension. YMMV
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in :

I agree although I have never in the last 44 years released the tension
on my saw unless changing a blade, with no noticeable detrimental
effects. I doubt very much the previous owner did either. It's not a
Sears saw though.

How long does it go between uses?

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/14/2019 2:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Jack wrote in :

I agree although I have never in the last 44 years released the tension
on my saw unless changing a blade, with no noticeable detrimental
effects. I doubt very much the previous owner did either. It's not a
Sears saw though.

How long does it go between uses?

Puckdropper

Varies a great deal. Sometimes months, sometimes weeks, most often
days. The tension adjustment on my saw is there for changing blades.
Nothing in the manual suggests releasing the tension. What is supposed
to happen if you don't? I think the tension spring might weaken, but
mine seems fine, and it's I guess 60 years old or roundabouts. I
replaced the tires in 1975 when I bought it, because they were starting
to crack. Probably would still be fine but I was more anal then.

I run almost exclusively 3/16" 3 tooth/inch, skip tooth blades. I
reckon the tension on a fat blade might be more, but I learned long,
long ago that the blade I use works fine for everything I do, from
cutting fire wood to cabinet scroll work, circles even resawing. I
started using the narrow blade when I was selling those wood name plates
you used to see at craft shows and such, and discovered that blade works
pretty good for everything.

Anyway, I doubt it hurts anything to release the tension, just saying
for me, it hasn't hurt anything not doing it.

--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/12/2019 11:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
I have an older bench top Sears band saw.Â*Â* I use it for quick cuts.Â* I
don't use it often.

Since it sit unused for several weeks at a time, should the tension on the
blade be removed for these extended periods of unused?

I always do, figuring that the few extra seconds of effort can't hurt
anything and certainly might help.

It seems likely to me, based on nothing more than instinct, that the
smaller the wheels on the saw the more useful it would be to let the
tension off to prevent making "lumps" in the blade; same thing with the
blade width -- the wider thicker blades would be more likely to have enough
strength to take a noticeable set. Probably the worst of all possible
worlds would be one of those cockamamie three-wheel saws with tiny wheels
and a wide resaw blade cranked up to the max tension.