DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Got a Jointer? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/632929-got-jointer.html)

Leon[_7_] March 17th 19 12:05 AM

Got a Jointer?

Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

dpb[_3_] March 17th 19 01:18 PM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/16/2019 7:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Yes, and many other pieces, too...

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] March 17th 19 02:15 PM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

DerbyDad03 March 17th 19 02:21 PM

Got a Jointer?

On Sunday, March 17, 2019 at 10:15:29 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

You made me chuckle. Thanks. :-)

Leon[_7_] March 17th 19 05:56 PM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/17/2019 9:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

dpb[_3_] March 17th 19 07:19 PM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

:)

I don't recall if that is in the very old Rockwell jointer manual
addendum they used to supply with every machine or not...but it's not
something new.

I first saw it in the shop practices manual we had in HS woodworking
shop class -- I somehow managed to lose that text and I have wished more
often than I can count that I could remember who/what for it to find a
copy because it was pure gold in such techniques; most of which I've
never seen anywhere since...

[email protected] March 18th 19 12:03 AM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

I just want to know how/why you get your leg on the jointer? Clipping
fingernails, I understand, but tapering your legs? I guess if you
like the clean look...

DerbyDad03 March 18th 19 01:41 AM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

Better than going to a plastic surgeon. ;~)

I just want to know how/why you get your leg on the jointer? Clipping
fingernails, I understand, but tapering your legs? I guess if you
like the clean look...

I use my bench top belt sander to do my fingernails. In fact, I used it
this afternoon. Note the flat section. Seriously. Did this today. Not
intentionally, of course.

https://i.imgur.com/VQXkbaj.jpg

Puckdropper March 18th 19 08:32 PM

Got a Jointer?

wrote in
:

I just want to know how/why you get your leg on the jointer? Clipping
fingernails, I understand, but tapering your legs? I guess if you
like the clean look...

What shaving cream is best to protect the cast iron top? Asking for a
girlfriend who needs to shave her legs, of course.

Puckdropper

Leon[_7_] March 19th 19 04:20 PM

Got a Jointer?

On 3/16/2019 8:05 PM, Leon wrote:
Have you tapered legs with your jointer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPW...Tcks7-6IWq%3A6

Do you mean intentionally?

:)

I don't recall if that is in the very old Rockwell jointer manual
addendum they used to supply with every machine or not...but it's not
something new.

I first saw it in the shop practices manual we had in HS woodworking
shop class -- I somehow managed to lose that text and I have wished more
often than I can count that I could remember who/what for it to find a
copy because it was pure gold in such techniques; most of which I've
never seen anywhere since...

--

Yes, I have heard of and or seen this before too, probably not as far
back as shop class.

The only draw back that I see is doing this with a wood like oak, which
often has a lot of grain changes. I would think if the grain was not
pointing down or parallel to travel, you could end up with some nasty
tear out. Much like a planer taking a deep cut.

Not much fun using a taper jig on a TS either but these days I use my
track saw, kind of a no brainer simple. The saw and track do not know
or care how you cut a straight line, parallel or tapering.